You are not logged in.

Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC  RSS Feed

#1 2017-01-30 7:48am

OG'89
sloppy headset
Bikes: 16

Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

So, I've spent a great deal of time looking up information on Basic Bykes for the last several years. As a Canadian active during the early 90's, I was aware of the brand, and looked up to their riders, but never owned any Basic product -- there was no LBS near me, and all of my BMX product was purchased via order form on the phone (usually Albe's or Trend.) And even then, the Basic stuff was notoriously difficult to find.

Fast forward to 2012, and my rekindled love of all things BMX, and I had a yearning to see my country and their Rad products better represented here on the Museum. I still maintain that Detroit Dirt Bikes '100% USA-Made' bike is my favourite build on this site, and has sent me off on my own quest to build a 100% Canadian made bike, which will be done sometime this spring.

At the same time, I started a build of a 1995 1st-gen Basic Sluggo, which has quickly become my favourite build to date.

All along, the lack of good information about Basic Bykes has troubled me, and so I wanted to start this thread as a collection of articles, snippits, magazine ads, whatever I could find. (submissions greatly appreciated.)

The fact that there are only nine (9) Basic bikes currently submitted to the Museum speaks to their rarity. But they're out there. I know it. I've seen it.

Post up your BBC!!

43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

WTB (long-term projects): 90's Dirt Master f/f, Block f/f, anything DBI, Schwinn SuperStock, 'Dave Cullinan' Robinson f/f, anything WAL, Homeless Mack.

#2 2017-01-30 7:49am

OG'89
sloppy headset

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

First and foremost, here's a link to the fantastic Snakebite article on the History of BBC.

I'm going to try not to repost all the pictures from that article, as the legwork to shoot and procure all the pics for that article should be credited to the original photogs. Suffice it to say -- read the article. It's awesome, and maybe the only good source of BBC info currently out there.

Last edited by OG'89 (2017-01-30 8:58am)

43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

WTB (long-term projects): 90's Dirt Master f/f, Block f/f, anything DBI, Schwinn SuperStock, 'Dave Cullinan' Robinson f/f, anything WAL, Homeless Mack.

#3 2017-01-30 7:55am

OG'89
sloppy headset

And here's a (mostly complete, edited for pictorial content) transcript.

The History Of Basic Bikes // Part 1 (Posted on February 2, 2015 by Shad)

In the next few weeks we will be taking a closer look at Canada’s Basic Bikes. First things first is a walk thru of the frames they produced. Instead of just posting every frame that they made we touched on the changes to the frames thru the years. We will be posting a massive photo gallery and full length interview thru the next few weeks. If you have any stories or rode any of the parts we would love to hear from you in the comments thru this series.

1990/91 - The Canadian Mod Front Brakes:
This idea actually predates Basic bikes. The Bike Doctor was a shop in Saskatoon that would charge the riders to weld on mounts so they could use Shimano cantilever brakes. Greg Axford came up with the idea to drill the hole in the fork sideways so that the cable could feed thru easier. The brakes worked the same way a pair of Bully Power forks would but a lot more effective. The introduction of the cantilever brake was a stepping stone between the Hutch roller cam brakes to the 990’s we use now on forks.

1993 - Basic Big City Bastard:
The first run of Basic’s were the Small Town Hicks & Big City Bastards. These were originally built for Standard by Gardner. I don’t know exactly why Standard didn’t except the frames. The two stories that seem the most prevalent are that Standard denied a batch of frames due to the fact that they were welded a little crooked and had some blemishes. Or that Standard didn’t have the money to pay for a batch of frames early on due to an addiction to Ford Mustangs. Either way a batch of frames, spare tubing and material ended up in the hands of Cecil Milligan and Darcy Saccucci. The first run of bikes was under 150 frames.

The names Big City Bastard & Small Town Hicks came from two Canadian’s: John Stewart who lived in Winnipeg and John Sutton who lived outside the city. They just ripped on each other all the time and thats how the names came about.

1995 - 2nd Gen Basic Big City Bastard:
The second generation Basics were the start of the bikes being made in Canada. They still were using some of the tubing from the Standards like the gussets, & other pieces they had laying around from the purchase from Gardner. The top tube on these were brand new and a big step to making the bikes look different than a Standard. After that the only real change on these was beefing up the brake mounts to keep up with the heavy braking that was needed at this time since mini ramp riding was so popular.

1995 - 1st Gen Basic Sluggo.
As the 90’s hit the half way point freestyle frames were starting to lose the traditional platform and started heading towards a sleeker look and longer frames. The Sluggo was Basic’s answer to the change. I was always convinced that this was supposed to be Dave Osato’s signature frame but Cecil corrected me on this. There were only 3 made this year and Osato was riding one of them at the OKC BS comp when he entered pro and proceeded to win it all that day!

1996 - Basic Streetfighter
The Basic Streetfighter frames were actually made by Greg Allport under the name 18 Wheeler. He made about 20 of them and ended up selling 16 of them to Dom Mach who changed the name to Dark Cycles. Dom ended up only selling one of the bikes so Basic bought the rest and restickered them as the Streetfighter frame and let Dave Thom go to work on it. Rick Jasinski (Pictured above) was one of the only photos we could find of someone riding the frame. This might be one of rarest Basic’s to find. So hard in fact neither Cecil or Darcy have one.

1997 Basic Bikes Small Town Hick BMX Frame
By the time the 3rd generation frames started rolling out the guys at Basic had almost used up all the original tubing they had gotten from Gardner. The new frames now came with a wishbone and had moved on to closing the ends on their Chainstays.

1997 - Production Basic Sluggo
Not too many changes from the prototype Sluggo frame that had been floating around for a few years. 1 1/8" headtube and closed seat and chainstays helped make this a popular bike around Canada and the Northwest part of the States.

1998 - 1st gen Aura frame (Andrew Faris signature frame)

Basic decided to replace the Small Town Hick this year with the Aura. Andrew Faris had turned the flatland scene upside down and received the first signature frame thru Basic.

1998 - 2nd gen Aura frame
As orders came in for the newer updated version of the Aura, Basic took their production to Taiwan for samples of the new frame. The company was coming to a crossroad at the time and Cecil was hoping with this move they could keep up with all the demand for this frame especially in Japan. Unfortunately that didn’t happen as the company closed its doors shortly after receiving this prototype.

Last edited by OG'89 (2017-01-30 10:17am)

43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

#4 2017-01-30 7:59am

OG'89
sloppy headset

Here's a link to Radbmx.uk of member Dr. Robotnik's Small Town Hick build. Some of the information exists here on the Museum, but Radbmx seems to have a little more. Would love to know if this project ever got finished!

43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

#5 2017-01-30 8:19am

OG'89
sloppy headset

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/74011/sth1588f672cd6.jpg

A 1996 STH that was discussed briefly on a '90's flatland frames' thread.

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/74011/wadebasic1997-900x600588f67379a.jpg

This Sluggo (custom 1996 STH w/no platform? 1995?) had custom V-brakes installed -- wade, can you shed any light?

(ed: Found yet another awesome Snakebite article where Wade tells the story...)

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/74011/sth-96588f6c5c8e.jpg

A '96 STH which was discussed recently on a Facebook page about decals.

Last edited by OG'89 (2017-01-30 9:05am)

43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

#6 2017-01-30 8:47am

OG'89
sloppy headset

On the subject of decals, I have very little firsthand information. Generation One (1993-4) decals resemble -- in my opinion -- the "bubble" script that girls used in my elementary school years, as seen on this BCB, now owned by Cecil Milligan, one of the original owners of Basic.

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/74011/basic_bikes_big_city_bastard588f6d2799.jpg

Second generation (1995) decals look like Museum Member thiagoflat's gorgeous 1995 STH, and my Sluggo.

Third generation (1996-98) decals are most plentiful, and often come up for sale or trade, and look like these, recently offered for sale by Zac:

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/74011/96588f6e303a.jpg

I have seen these third generation decals in olive green, blue, red, and beige.

Last edited by OG'89 (2017-01-30 8:49am)

43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

#7 2017-01-30 8:53am

OG'89
sloppy headset

Silencers!

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/74011/silencers588f6f8a34.jpg

43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

#8 2017-01-30 8:53am

milhous
Pro Member
Bikes: 30
For Sale: 2

I sold some bars to Cecil on here a while back. I am not sure how often he is online, but he had mentioned posting some photos of the Basic stuff he has.

WANT TO BUY-
Standard Bykes Gyro Hood (red); Gyro Junction
Primo Super Tenderizer pedals (black, 4-slot, NOS or excellent condition only)

#9 2017-01-30 8:56am

OG'89
sloppy headset

Been speaking with Cecil about BBC for quite some time. Seems there are big gaps between his visits to the Museum. He doesn't reply terribly quickly. But that's life, huh?

I'd love to track Darcy down, as well.

43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

#10 2017-01-30 9:01am

OG'89
sloppy headset

From 23mag:

"Basic was an innovative small company based in Canada that was around from 1993 to about 1998. Basic's original frames were the exact same frames as the Standard Lengthy (Big City Bastard) and Shorty (Small Town Hick), b/c Basic for some reason ended up with a run of those frames that for some reason Standard didn't want or something. The next batch was their own designs. Darcy Saccucci, one of the founders, left the company in 1996 due to differences of opinion with his partner, Cecil Milligan, and it soon fell apart.

Darcy Saccucci, wwwfatbmx.com, december 2003: I started making number plates and t-shirts at home when I was 15 to sell at the races, I still owe my brother a couple hundred from the start up costs... A few years later I started a company called Basic Bikes with a partner (Cecil) We built Basic up pretty well. We had one of the best teams of all time, Dave Osato, Jason Enns, Paul Buchanan, Jamie McIntosh, Andrew Farris, Dan Rigby, and bunch of other talented guys. That was the first chance I had to make the parts that I wanted. After I sold that company, I was looking for someone to do some designing or marketing work for but living in Canada made that a tough so when Jay and Jamie started Ten Pack I was pretty stoked to start working for them with the idea of one day doing something like MacNeil.

1993 - Rick Moliterno: Our first production run was made by a machine shop in Davenport. They couldn't make them right so we refused them all. Those bikes that were refused are what became Basic Bikes.

Cecil Milligan, Ride BMX US Dec. 1995: Steve Roy was talking to some guy in Chicago at the Finals in 1993, and he said there was a guy that had bikes that were made, and just sitting there, and he wanted to sell them. So we phoned the guy, and it turned out to be the same guy that was making Standard bikes so Darcy and I just bought one. One each, for us. We bought some pegs, and axles and stuff. Kinda whatever he had there that we thought we'd want for our bikes. We bought those, and we were like, "wow." Then our friends were like, "Can you get anymore?" So then we thought we'll just buy those frames and put our own decals on them.

Ride BMX US december 1995: Basic from Canada have been building an interesting story over the last few years, even though they've only been building bikes for a few months. Founded on the Dirt Bros. strategy of using other company's old frames (Standard's in their case), it was easy for people to be skeptical as to what would happen when their stock ran out. That is, until now. Basic is now manufacturing their own line of bikes, The Big City Bastard (street and mini), the Small Town Hick (flatland) and the Sluggo (dirt, street, and all around). The Big City and the Small Town are both very similar to the original "Basic" bikes, but the Sluggo is a completely new design.

Cecil Milligan, Ride BMX US Dec. 1995: We just wanted to get away from Standard, cause our bikes were Standards with our decals on them, so we just wanted to get away from that. Make our own. I'd always wanted to make my own bike company.

1996 - There was only one pink Basic bike at the 1996 BS finals contest. That one bike belonged to Andrew Faris, who rode with his original flow, pulled his darkside strings, and ended up with second place.

1997 - Basic bikes has introduced a new signature frame for pro flatlander Andrew Faris. It is called the Aura.
1998 - Since Andrew Faris is now riding for Schwinn, Basic will not be calling its new flatland frame the Aura. Instead, it will be the new Small Town Hick. Basic is relocating to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.

43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

#11 2017-01-30 9:21am

IPD
El Conquistador
Bikes: 3

Silencer style pegs never go out of style.

BBC is a horrible set of company initials though....   neutral

Those who dislike Israel are in favor of Jewish and Kurdish Genocide.  It's that simple.

#12 2017-01-30 9:31am

OG'89
sloppy headset

...yeah, it never took off in British broadcasting. tongue

Last edited by OG'89 (2017-01-30 9:31am)

43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

#13 2017-01-30 9:56am

OG'89
sloppy headset

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/74011/bbc588f7e5e68.jpg

43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

#14 2017-01-30 10:35am

OG'89
sloppy headset

1995 Basic Whammy Bars Decal -- note: was also used on Seat Tubes that year

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/74011/95-bbc-whammy588f8736a6.jpg

1995 Basic STH Head Tube decal

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/74011/95-sth-ht588f874e5c.jpg

1995 Basic Sluggo Head Tube decal (note '4130' in b/g seat tube, same as on Whammy bars)

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/74011/95-slug-ht588f877ec1.jpg

43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

#15 2017-01-30 10:39am

wadeaminute
Pro Memberwadeayear

OG'89 wrote:

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 67379a.jpg

This Sluggo (custom 1996 STH w/no platform? 1995?) had custom V-brakes installed -- wade, can you shed any light?

(ed: Found yet another awesome Snakebite article where Wade tells the story...)

Oh, I know lots about Basic. That's my crew.

#16 2017-01-30 10:41am

OG'89
sloppy headset

**cracks a beer -- a Canadian beer -- sits back, and smiles**

43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

#17 2017-01-30 10:46am

pnj
Pro Member

Basic bikes was just on the other side of the Canadian border so a bunch of guys in Oregon and Washington rode their parts.

It always bothered me that they continued to put standing platforms on the frames well into the 90's.

I had a red BCB, I had to grind the rear dropouts to get the 'new' 14mm axle to fit. I still have the grinder that I purchased to do that job. No idea who I sold the frame to.

Pretty sure I still have some Silencer pegs in a box somewhere. If I ever become a pro member on this site, they'll be going into the for sale section.

There are no carpet queens in the woods

#18 2017-01-30 11:32am

wadeaminute
Pro Memberwadeayear

Since it was my article, I don't think that Shad will mind me posting the content here (but you folks should be regularly checking out snakebitebmx.com):

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/74011/wadebasic1997-900x600588f67379a.jpg
I recently came across this picture of one of my bikes from 1997.
I had been riding a trans-green over chrome Hoffman Bikes Condor (that I got direct from Steve Swope) for three years, and then had briefly switched to my originally-red 1996 P.K. Ripper before Cecil Milligan at Basic offered to make me a custom frame.

I asked for his new Sluggo frame to be built with custom features – specifically, I wanted to try the then-new V-brakes from Shimano (and I wanted these mounts to be on the top of the seat stays), I needed a coaster brake bracket, and I wanted it painted metallic green. He had it made, and sent it to me, gratis, early in 1997.
I set the frame up and took it to the Boucherville skatepark in Montreal. Twenty minutes into the inaugural ride, one of the canti-studs broke off. So it got sent back to be stripped, re-welded, and re-powdered (this time galactic black – black with a rainbow of sparkles).

This “fine-tuned” version worked just fine until I sold it to Jeff from Abbotsford in 1998 after Basic had tanked and Woody Itson let me have a Dyno frame that he had given to Corey Stratychuk for X Games but then ….

I love looking at the picture of this set-up. Lots of fun memories, and it is probably the bike that I peaked on, skill-wise (which I would place at the summer of 1997).

In addition to the custom frame, Chris Moeller had agreed to make me custom forks. These are Menstrual Cycles forks with cantilever studs for the V-brakes, but with a Redneck stem instead of the Menstrual stem.

The red Shimano DX brakes were sent to me by a Shimano rep that I met at Interbike in 1996. He sent me two sets of brakes and levers, and as I had convinced him that I was interested in trying to ride freestyle in clips, he sent me their new DX clip pedals and a pair of their shoes. I never did try them.

I did not use the DX levers on that bike. To get the V-brakes to work with the SST Oryg, I had to use these cammed wheels (“Travel Agent”?) to convert the V-brake from long-pull to regular canti-pull. As such, I got to use my favourite BMX levers (that I had forgotten about for almost 20 years until recently): the Dia Compe MX88s. I wish that the retro guys knew about these and would demand re-issues, but as they were an early 1990s product, no one seems to know about them.

I sent this picture to Darcy Saccucci yesterday, and he called out the MKS graphite pedals and all the VG stuff. I still have those pedals – they are on my new 2016 Haro Master flatland bike – but all the VG stuff has disappeared.
I absolutely loved the VG stuff. The first time I saw the VG seat guts was at Ron Wilkerson’s house in San Francisco in 1993 on the way to the Moreno Valley BS contest. We were put up for a night on the way from Vancouver thanks to Ron’s roommate, Geoff Cain. Geoff showed us a box of sample parts that Ron had been sent, and I don’t know if I ever was so blown away by a BMX product – at least until MacNeil’s Jamie McIntosh showed me the Pivotal system for the first time, appropriately.

Our vanload of riders hit the VG warehouse on the way back from that contest and picked up a bunch of stuff. I remember that the owner was not impressed that I asked to have my VG grind disc bored out for my one-piece crank.
Anyway – there are VG bar-ends, VG seat guts, a VG seat clamp, and maybe a set of their Spurs chain tensioners. It is odd to me that all this stuff is silver, as I loved that their stuff came in purple anodized.
Those are Basic Whammy Bars. I think the first version – the ones that we had to trade back in for the next batch after Pat Miller destroyed a pair and his legs (puncture wounds) at the second X Games in Rhode Island. Mine ended up going to flatlander Stephane Royer.

Primo Hemorrhoid seat and V-Monster tires were the choice of pretty much everybody for about five years. Two of the greatest products of all time, to be sure. I would have been sent these by La Luang (later co-owner of Volume and Demolition).

I think that those are aluminum Indy Industry pegs that Bill Nitschke sent me a few years earlier. I know that Dave Osato eventually made me take them off because the aluminum was making the coping at the Ten Pack warehouse ramps slower. He gifted me leftover Basic Silencer pegs as replacements.

I see that I had installed the Odyssey 34t sprocket backwards, which was a dick move, as I was sent a box of Odyssey parts by (I think?) Terry Tennette. Rad that I was running 34/12 gearing about five years early, though.
Parts that I actually paid for: Profile cranks and Peregrine Super-Pro rims. Maybe the grips, probably the levers. The front hub was a 14mm Hoffman Gack that I got in a trade from Pedro Dos Santos for my car / bike rack. The rear hub was a Suntour coaster brake with a 12t Kore chromoly sprocket handed to me by Bob Morales.

Finally, the valve caps – a gold anodized front and a purple dice rear – I have had these on my main bike since 1990.
I’m pretty sure that this bike was 34lbs (my Condor was 37). Dave and Jay’s Schwinns were about 45lbs at the time, so this was the lightest bike around Coquitlam.

*My current main ride, a MacNeil Loden, weighs 21lbs even.

#19 2017-01-30 11:33am

spyker
Freakzilla

OG'89 wrote:

Been speaking with Cecil about BBC for quite some time. Seems there are big gaps between his visits to the Museum. He doesn't reply terribly quickly. But that's life, huh?

I'd love to track Darcy down, as well.

Contact 3ride in Ontario.Ask for the owner Brad,he is friends with Darcy.I know for a fact Darcy lives in Vancouver.He use to own Ten Pack Distribution.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength

Would you trust a lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?

#20 2017-01-30 12:17pm

OG'89
sloppy headset

Yep -- I've sent Darcy a couple emails at Macneil, but no reply as of yet. Busy guy, no doubt!

43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

#21 2017-01-30 12:18pm

OG'89
sloppy headset

wadeaminute wrote:

Since it was my article, I don't think that Shad will mind me posting the content here (but you folks should be regularly checking out snakebitebmx.com):

coool, man. Got any other stories or pics?

-Dan

43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

#22 2017-01-30 3:12pm

pnj
Pro Member

Peghttp://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/102245/image588fc80ae0.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/102245/image588fc81260.jpg

Pegs and an action shot on the Big City Bastard.

There are no carpet queens in the woods

#23 2017-01-30 3:43pm

OG'89
sloppy headset

Great action shot pnj! BC with Love Handles - -MID school represent! Do you recall any other parts you were using on that build? I see super pros, some sort of grind disc (Haro?) and are those GT Profiles? Keep thinking that's a Pitbull on the front... but it must be my eyes playing tricks on me. Sweet shots though man. Thanks for sharing!

43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

#24 2017-01-30 4:39pm

wadeaminute
Pro Memberwadeayear

Darcy is one of my adopted brothers, and Cecil and I have reconnected recently after a long time, at Darcy's insistence. The three of us had lunch in September. They are both doing well - successful with lovely families. Last time I saw Darcy was in December at Osato's 40th in Vancouver. Andrew Faris was there, too. And a certain Beast. A Coquitlam reunion.
I gave all my Basic stuff back to Darcy. Cecil also has a nice collection.

Here's a story - the rumour we heard back in the day was that Rick and the Standard guys spent their money on Mustang cars and couldn't pay for the first frames that Rick says that he rejected. Basic had shirts printed up with Mustang logos with the word "Priorities" on the back. Cheeky. I had a green one.

Another story - the first generation of Whammy Bars - I think about 25 pair - had a problem. Jay and Dave and Pat Miller rode Basic parts on their Schwinns. At the second X-Games in Rhode Island, Pat Miller's bars snapped - both sides - at the crossbars. His legs were pierced. A mess. I remember trading my bars back to Cecil for a different pair after that.

#25 2017-01-30 5:56pm

OG'89
sloppy headset

I've heard the story about Mustangs and SBC too, Wade. Seems to be one of those urban legends that might never get completely uncovered, 'cause I can't see Rick spilling about something like that. Didn't know about the t-shirts though. Nice touch! So good to hear that the Coquitlam gang still knows how to party. Great reason to get together, and a great period to have memories of. Wish I had been there. cool

43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

Board footer

View Cart →