Removing spray paint from Chrome  RSS Feed

#1 2008-07-07 2:56pm

teched88
Expert
Bikes: 6

Removing spray paint from Chrome

Got a spray bombed frame. Nice chrome underneath.
What is the best way to remove spraypaint....... paint thinner?

The Shop Teacher

#2 2008-07-07 3:58pm

lambohaha
The Kid Countach

Re: Removing spray paint from Chrome

Go to Walmart, Advanced Auto, O`Rielly`s, etc.,..... and a can or 2 of paint stripper. Some places it`s called Aircraft or Airplane remover. Anyways, it`ll remove the paint and not mess up the chrome. Oh yeah, it`s in a spray can as well.

#3 2008-07-07 4:48pm

CrashTestDummy
Expert
Bikes: 8

Yup, aircraft stripper is the best stuff. I discovered that the spray can is barely good enough for one frame, while the quart can size of brush-on stripper will last much longer. I also discovered that some stem paint is impervious to stripper? Dunno if it's powder coat or what, but I've had two 1-1/8" black stems that aircraft stripper had no effect on. Should work great for your spray bombed frame though.

Fred B.

"I love your twins, wish I could find either one." --Rake

#4 2008-07-07 5:12pm

teched88
Expert

Thanks guys. I hope its available locally

The Shop Teacher

#5 2008-07-07 8:40pm

lambohaha
The Kid Countach

You can go to a Lowes or a Home Depot and get it or any Jasco brand paint stripper in brush on or spray on as well.

#6 2008-07-21 7:33pm

bmxnw
Bikes: 1

I used Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner. It is for cleaning gun barrels but worked like a charm. Sprayed it on, waited about 15 mins and wiped off with a rag, came out perfect. It doesn't stink nearly as bad as paint stripper. You can get it at any sporting goods store.

"I want to ride my bicycle. I want to ride my bike. I want to ride my bicycle. I want to ride it where I like."

#7 2008-07-21 7:47pm

oldschoolbmxfanatic
Old School Fool
Bikes: 2

Bri! If it's spray paint, just about any paint stripper will work. One of your best bets is to start out slow and safe with a citrus stripper and then gradually increase the strength if you're not happy. Using the aircraft stripper is a bit of overkill for spray pint but it definitely works! I love Jasco spray stripper from Lowe's Home Improvement Whorehouse! But I ONLY use that on hard to reach areas such as where the seat stays meet the seat post mast. Call me tomorrow(Tuesday) and I'll tell ya' what's up!

#8 2008-07-21 8:18pm

Byron171
Intermediate
Bikes: 5

Citrustrip gel
safe for indoor use too!

"This is my BMX, there are many like it, but this one is mine"
Full Metal Jacket
I Ship Worldwide! But you pay for it.

#9 2008-07-21 9:20pm

teched88
Expert

I ended up using aircraft stripper. It worked great. probably right that it was overkill, but it was fast.
It burns the hell out of your hands too. USE GLOVES.
now I have to get the OA bath out to get the little bit of rust in the corners.

The Shop Teacher

#10 2008-07-21 9:45pm

xtremevert
Pro MemberThe Gate Keeper
Bikes: 16
For Sale

Gun wash all the way!!!  They use it to clean paint nozzles in the automotive paint industry.  Works great.  smile

My Father once spoke to me and said "The way you look at your bike is the way I see My children, I look past the imperfections and rough surfaces to the beauty of the finished product."

#11 2008-07-21 9:47pm

xtremevert
Pro MemberThe Gate Keeper
Bikes: 16
For Sale

Yeah, the guy at NAPA said aircraft stripper is the bomb, it will strip anything.  Yes, everything but powder coat.  wink

My Father once spoke to me and said "The way you look at your bike is the way I see My children, I look past the imperfections and rough surfaces to the beauty of the finished product."

#12 2008-07-22 7:30am

lboorse2
Museum Addict

For spray paint you don't even need the stripper.  Shoot some OFF oven cleaner (not the low-fume stuff -- you want the full power nasty smelling stuff).  That'll get it off -- just keep it away from anything aluminum.  It will discolor the AL a bit. 

Off won't take off Acrylic or Powder coat either.  So if you have a spraybombed frame or part that you know has powder underneath, you should be ok. 

Just don't leave it on too long.  Keep an eye on it while it's working.

Lee

#13 2008-09-24 3:21pm

muphasta
Pro MemberPro Tester
Bikes: 7
For Sale

I have a question about this subject. I have a mini I am trying to rebuild for my son. It was rattle-canned and I was able to remove about 90% of the paint w/duct tape. The frame appears to have been sanded to get rid of the gloss paint and what is left is the flat blue metallic paint that the mini-GT was originally.

Would a citrusstripper be good for the spray paint and leave the original paint intact? I plan on repainting it w/a better quality than spray paint, so what do I need to do to the frame after I clean the spray paint off? Acetone wipe?

Thanks in advance

Amateur vajazzler seeking clients

#14 2008-09-24 3:33pm

Gtcompe
Banned
Bikes: 9
Website

Aircraft Remover should work,
i dont think it will hurt the chrome

#15 2008-09-25 7:03pm

CrashTestDummy
Expert
Bikes: 8

muphasta wrote:

I have a question about this subject. I have a mini I am trying to rebuild for my son. It was rattle-canned and I was able to remove about 90% of the paint w/duct tape. The frame appears to have been sanded to get rid of the gloss paint and what is left is the flat blue metallic paint that the mini-GT was originally.

Would a citrusstripper be good for the spray paint and leave the original paint intact? I plan on repainting it w/a better quality than spray paint, so what do I need to do to the frame after I clean the spray paint off? Acetone wipe?

Thanks in advance

Muphasta, if you plan to repaint anyway then I'd suggest using aircraft stripper to just remove all of the paint (spray bomb and OG finish). You can paint over the original sanded finish if you want, but I always prefer to take it down to bare metal in such cases. I do so because some paints/primers aren't compatible. Generally speaking, you can't put a "hot" paint like laquer (House of Kolor lacquer, for example) over a mild paint (like enamel) without screwing things up. However, since most factory bikes are usually enamel paint or powder, you can probably be confident in using another enamel over the sanded original finish. I still recommend a good primer first though. And yeah, wiping it down with tack cloth or acetone prior to priming would be wise.

If you wanna do it perfect though, I'd use aircraft stripper to remove all of the paint, then a fine wire wheel in your electric drill to rough the frame up a bit (this part is time consuming, and not advised for aluminum, but the results on steel look really good). The wire wheel is also nice for removing stubborn paint and minor rust spots (if applicable) and hi-lighting any other imperfections. After the wire wheel treatment (and any desired/necessary repairs) you can sand down to 240 or 320 if ya want, but I wouldn't go any finer unless you plan on polishing the thing.

Then apply your primer. Two coats is usually sufficient. You just want nice, even coverage, with no light spots. Let the final coat dry overnight. If you're a perfectionist, or if you're painting in a contaminated space (such as your backyard), you may need to sand out gnats, dust particles and other foriegn objects before applying color. Use 320 (lightly) or 400 grit. To get good coverage on the color coat you may have to apply three or four coats. And depending on the degree of contamination, you may need to wet sand inbetween coats. Use 1,000 or 1,200 grit, dipping frequently in luke warm water. But if you're using a metallic paint, never sand the final color coat. (So your final color coat is important to get right... if it's not right, sand it and apply another coat).

Clear coat is always the most troublesome -- due in part to its tackiness, which seems to attract everything whithin a 10 mile radius -- but it's also the most rewarding. Wet sanding is again recommended for the perfect finish (use 2,000 grit this time), but do not sand through the clear if using a metallic base. This will be especially difficult to avoid on edges and/or sharp areas. Just take it slow and be careful. You can wet sand the final clear coat, but then you'll have to buff the thing to bring the shine back out. Because it's hard to buff a bike frame with all the angles and connecting tubes, I'd just try to get the final clear coat to go on as smoothly as possible with a minimum of contaminants and call it good. Museum member Lou probably does a more thorough job, but he's got the equipment and experience that the average guy doesn't.

If you have a compressor and paint gun, get some automotive-grade, three-part urethane clear. It won't "yellow," is very strong, and produces an excellent gloss.

Apply decals and your boy's ready to go!

Fred B.

"I love your twins, wish I could find either one." --Rake

#16 2008-09-25 9:49pm

muphasta
Pro MemberPro Tester
Bikes: 7
For Sale

Thank you for taking the time to write all that! I'll let you know how things go.

Amateur vajazzler seeking clients

Board footer