You are not logged in.

Northern California BMX Track History  RSS Feed

#26 2010-07-28 10:27am

superL7
Museum Newbie

Re: Northern California BMX Track History

Those were the Days!!! Does anyone have any videos or pictures from the ABA nationals held at the cow palace? It would be from the mid 80's.

Other tracks I remember was the NBL track at the Fairgrounds in Watsonville, CA. Biggest starting hill I can remember!!!

Also The races at Malibu Grand Prix in Redwood City, CA

The track at Laguna Seca Raceway.

The track at the Pleasanton fairgrounds under the Pavillion.

The track in Yreka, Ca.

Rainy day races in the parking lot at the Fairgrounds in Merced.

Crazy Horse near the Gilroy area.

These are just the ones I don't recall on the list.

#27 2010-08-06 6:17pm

se666
Pro Member'Da Pineapple'
Bikes: 68

I added the Sanctioning bodies/also two more I remember:

12. San Jose, CA ABA (Hellyer Park)
14. Watsonville, CA ABA I think (KOA Campground)
15. Aptos, CA ABA Aptos High School
16. Moffet Field, CA ABA (Orion BMX)
17. Freemont, CA ABA (Baylands Raceway) Nationals held there in 1980-81
18. Morgan Hill, CA ABA (Hill Country Raceway)
20. Santa Clara, CA UBR (Santa Clara PAL)   
26. Modesto, CA UBR (Track Name?)
XX. Redwood City, CA ABA (Malibu Grand Prix/outdoor stadium style) I crashed hard here in 1981 because Ansel Lopez stuck his foot in my front spokes while I was in first place 15x.
XXX. Vallejo, CA ABA (Sort of a down hill-Ronnie and Richie Anderson's home track)

Fremont Double Points and triple points races back to back in the very early 80's.

Last edited by se666 (2010-08-06 6:19pm)

Museum cruiser! NEED EARLY BMX PRODUCTS MONGOOSE FACTORY TEAM JERSEY...money paid to you!!! MITSUBISHI COMP II TIRES WITH BLACK TREAD and oldbmx jerseys...especially Factory team jerseys.

[img]http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/se666/HPIM0764.jpg[/img]

#28 2011-03-24 10:36pm

HELLA
Centurion Member

Hey what places are there to ride in the east bay these days? For some light jumps i know of the hayward plunge trails in hayward.

#29 2011-03-25 7:48pm

goride70
Museum Addict
Bikes: 4

No set place to ride at in Hayward.I usually just ride around the city or hit the plunge on my bmx or mtn bike.There are a few street spots to hit up to get your grind on.Stop by Area Cycles there are a few of us "older" bmxer there usually even though that is a fixie shop it's a cool hang out.

Drive monkey,drive!!

#30 2011-03-25 8:52pm

NORCAL BOYZ
Pro Member
Bikes: 6
For Sale: 21
Website

I have the Auburn -Dewitt track decal black and chrome, my friend Dennis O'brien gave it to me years ago.

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/NORCALBOYZ/100_0004-1_zps6db8deb0.jpg

Last edited by NORCAL BOYZ (2013-02-05 7:28am)

#31 2012-12-18 6:18am

RandyPottsII
Pro Member
Website

been some talk about Yuba city possibly building  a track and park combo  talked with the mayor  we need one here  the local kids ride the skate park here my boys included  get tickets for being in the skate park  hopefully this will go through,

wife-what the hell are you doing? me-stopping at this yard sale theres a bike. wife-another one.

#32 2012-12-18 11:26pm

Racer
Pro MemberPhilly Cheese Steak
Bikes: 22

OK pretty much updated it. Thanks to everyone for chiming in. I did the same for PA, NJ and MD (all places I raced before and after living in Cal.) I was stationed in Alameda for a bit but never raced while there. I did visit Hank & Frank. I did ride Red Devil one day on my Profile 24. I also went to the hills above Oakland. Redwood Park. I looked it up the other day and was very close to Merrit College. I had the same view of the valley below from the fireroad I was on.

Must have taken the Bart to the park then just started riding (This was 84/85). I found a fire road and was just crusing when two MTB guys came up to me. Asked if I wanted to follow them down a trail. Im like um sure.
Those rat fink bastids tried to make a joke out of me. The trail went almost straight down thru the trees (away from the valley). It was a single track. Had I been a Novice I woulda ate dookie and crashed hard into a tree. But I had enough skill and sense to slide out when things got hairy. Several times in fact lol. They had front and rear brakes of course.

I showed them I made it down in one piece. Then took off up the paved road to the top. Old men couldnt keep up with me.
At the top where I had gotten on the fire road was a killer jump. It was maybe 4-6 foot high and right next to a tree.
The landing was flat. Im not sure if it was hit mostly by MTB or some rouge BMX types like me that made it up there but it was perfect.

Wish I had pictures. But no one else on my ship raced. I was too busy when not working chasing girls to make it to any local races and make new friends.  In fact I only made two races the entire year ( zero in 1984). Two USBA Nationals. But thats another story.

Last edited by Racer (2012-12-18 11:37pm)

#33 2012-12-20 7:24am

chirobmx
Centurion Member

My hometown track was at the Roseville fairgrounds in the 80's.  Does anyone remember when they had the indoor track?
I used to love racing at the Grass valley track.  That track was fast.  I will see if I can dig out some pics.

#34 2012-12-20 9:06am

BossHogg80
Pro MemberReese's Peanut Butter Cup Aficionado

Livermore track wasn't/isn't even close to the bomb, not nuke testing area. Seriously, nuke testing in a town of 85,000 population?

dun dun...............dun dun...............dun dun.......dun dun...dun dun dun dun dun....GOOOOOO SAN JOSE SHARKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#35 2012-12-20 9:16pm

Racer
Pro MemberPhilly Cheese Steak
Bikes: 22

LOL I walked the track in I think 83.
It was a bomb and science development and research testing lab. Lawrence Livermore Labs. Not that they dropped bombs there of course lol. Just a lab. I was in the area for a sale the company I worked for was having and was going down the road and go whooa a BMX track and made my boss stop so I could see the track. Was really open. Maybe a small fence and almost no trees if any. It was rideable so Im guessing it was an active track. Dont remember any signs.
Didnt have my bike with me (we were a socal company that did traveling sales).

#36 2012-12-26 10:31am

NorCal66
Pro MemberDa-Judge
Bikes: 14

se666 wrote:

XX. Redwood City, CA ABA (Malibu Grand Prix/outdoor stadium style) I crashed hard here in 1981 because Ansel Lopez stuck his foot in my front spokes while I was in first place 15x.
XXX. Vallejo, CA ABA (Sort of a down hill-Ronnie and Richie Anderson's home track)

Fremont Double Points and triple points races back to back in the very early 80's.

Watsonville was at the Fairgrounds and was NBL.  Large downhill with a huge sweeping first turn. A set of doubles and on other jump on the entire track. haha

Gilroy was NBL at both track locations. Neither was a KOA park. The first was on New Avenue in a walnut orchard.  The other opened in the late 80's and was right off the 101 Hwy at the end of Denio Ave.

Building 2013 Hutch Pro #5

[img]http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx250/pittboy3144/logo6.jpg[/img]

#37 2012-12-26 10:39am

Huryupanbuy
Pro MemberOPBC
Bikes: 5
For Sale: 1

Pecan park, marysville riverfront bmx, oak creek.

Would you like a Fat Tire, Big Sprocket, or Short Rear End. Pick two.

#38 2012-12-26 11:51am

BossHogg80
Pro MemberReese's Peanut Butter Cup Aficionado

Racer wrote:

LOL I walked the track in I think 83.
It was a bomb and science development and research testing lab. Lawrence Livermore Labs. Not that they dropped bombs there of course lol. Just a lab. I was in the area for a sale the company I worked for was having and was going down the road and go whooa a BMX track and made my boss stop so I could see the track. Was really open. Maybe a small fence and almost no trees if any. It was rideable so Im guessing it was an active track. Dont remember any signs.
Didnt have my bike with me (we were a socal company that did traveling sales).

They actually do test explosives a little farther away, at a place called "site 300". It's on Myth Busters quite a bit.

dun dun...............dun dun...............dun dun.......dun dun...dun dun dun dun dun....GOOOOOO SAN JOSE SHARKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#39 2012-12-27 9:37am

olskoolbmxican
Museum Addict
Bikes: 1

Sunol Bmx, Orion park, stockton bmx,totally diferent place from the 90's morgan hill, Merced Bmx,old Santa Clara pal Bmx, Livermore, it was on a different place, don't remember exactly where,Modesto Bmx, that's all I remember, besides national tracks, such as Vegas, Chico, Bakersfield everywhere!!!

Freestyle and Racing seem to share some sort of code, code 4130

#40 2012-12-27 11:05pm

se666
Pro Member'Da Pineapple'

NorCal66 wrote:

se666 wrote:

Watsonville was at the Fairgrounds and was NBL.  Large downhill with a huge sweeping first turn. A set of doubles and on other jump on the entire track. haha

Gilroy was NBL at both track locations. Neither was a KOA park. The first was on New Avenue in a walnut orchard.  The other opened in the late 80's and was right off the 101 Hwy at the end of Denio Ave.

Ah I must have had the info on the Watsonville wrong but I remember we raced there a couple times and I was sure it was ABA as I did not have a NBL membership ever. Frank Post won the first race I went to there in like 1981 or 1982. At that time I thought the camp ground was ajacent to it. Apparently I was wrong. I was not positive when I wrote that (I put I think in there when I wrote it) but tried to pull from a very old memory (46 1/2) you know!!!lollollollol  Maybe by the time you raced later the tracks had moved as some did such as San Jose PAL. JUst a thought.

Museum cruiser! NEED EARLY BMX PRODUCTS MONGOOSE FACTORY TEAM JERSEY...money paid to you!!! MITSUBISHI COMP II TIRES WITH BLACK TREAD and oldbmx jerseys...especially Factory team jerseys.

#41 2012-12-27 11:07pm

se666
Pro Member'Da Pineapple'

olskoolbmxican wrote:

Sunol Bmx, Orion park, stockton bmx,totally diferent place from the 90's morgan hill, Merced Bmx,old Santa Clara pal Bmx, Livermore, it was on a different place, don't remember exactly where,Modesto Bmx, that's all I remember, besides national tracks, such as Vegas, Chico, Bakersfield everywhere!!!

I think you are right Jamie they moved a couple tracks over the years. Manteca track for sure. Livermore used to be farther south near where I picked up that Nomura cruiser. The guy I bought it off used to race across the street from where he lived there.

Last edited by se666 (2012-12-27 11:08pm)

#42 2012-12-27 11:55pm

se666
Pro Member'Da Pineapple'

Scratch that I found the 1980 NBA Skyway Nationals at Watsonville next to the KOA campground in a BMX Plus magazine.
We were both wrong as at one time it was definately NBA. Maybe years later it moved and became NBL as a lot of Norcal tracks did in the later era late 80s to early 90s when you raced.

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/se666/sell/IMG_1611.jpg
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/se666/sell/IMG_1610.jpg
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/se666/sell/IMG_1612.jpg
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/se666/sell/IMG_1615.jpg
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/se666/sell/IMG_1616.jpg
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/se666/sell/IMG_1613.jpg
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/se666/sell/IMG_1617.jpg

#43 2012-12-28 7:25am

NorCal66
Pro MemberDa-Judge

se666 wrote:

NorCal66 wrote:

se666 wrote:

Ah I must have had the info on the Watsonville wrong but I remember we raced there a couple times and I was sure it was ABA as I did not have a NBL membership ever. Frank Post won the first race I went to there in like 1981 or 1982. At that time I thought the camp ground was ajacent to it. Apparently I was wrong. I was not positive when I wrote that (I put I think in there when I wrote it) but tried to pull from a very old memory (46 1/2) you know!!!lollollollol  Maybe by the time you raced later the tracks had moved as some did such as San Jose PAL. JUst a thought.

There might have been another track but the only one I knew of when I started in 82 was the one inside the fairgrounds.  Did you have an UBR card?  I will ask a buddy and get more info on it.

#44 2012-12-28 7:27am

NorCal66
Pro MemberDa-Judge

and now I just got to the last post about it being NBA.  For sure not the same track as they would have mentioned the downhill part.  Good stuff. Two tracks under different organizations and locations

#45 2013-01-06 7:39pm

bossforlife
Museum Newbie

you are both kinda of correct. The NBL came west in 82 by "merging" with NBA and absorbing all of the tracks they hadon the west coast, wich was not thast many after the ABA had taken over so many by then. Watsonville was one of thoseleft over NBA tracks and Frank Post did win the first War of the Stars there. I remember because I broke my frickin collarbone on those doubles!
Heaps has a revisionist history, like the rest of the NBL left overs. LOL!lol

#46 2013-01-06 7:52pm

NORCAL BOYZ
Pro Member
Website

NorCal66 wrote:

NORCAL BOYZ wrote:

Does anybody have any pictures from the US nationals in Bakersfield 1986? I would like to see them, that would be my very first national went there with my buddy Joe Lamarache.... Talk about old school Nor Cal.

yep, I was at that race but don't have any pictures from it.  That was over some hill and near a speedway correct. I think there was oil fields out there too.  Sitting in the back of your parents cars you tend to notice things

That was Fort Ord right next to Laguna Seca but no oil wells there ever. Further south in King city, Coalinga and San Ardo.

#47 2013-01-08 2:09pm

olskoolbmxican
Museum Addict

Howbout jumping places and trails from back in the day? smile

#48 2013-02-04 10:20pm

olskoolbmxican
Museum Addict

smile

#49 2013-02-05 6:49am

NORCAL BOYZ
Pro Member
Website

The KOA track was NBA too like Watsonville. Here is a picture from NBA World November 1979 KOA gate i have the #39 number plate.

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/NORCALBOYZ/100_0005_zpse42f4b32.jpg
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/NORCALBOYZ/100_0002-2_zpsab8f602d.jpg

Last edited by NORCAL BOYZ (2013-02-05 5:58pm)

#50 2013-02-05 6:57am

NORCAL BOYZ
Pro Member
Website

troy wrote:

Here's me racing a Prairie city (Sacramento) May '80. I'm #76 and Richie Anderson #57
http://i36.tinypic.com/28bcj8o.jpg

Richie was on Patterson in 1980 nothing new.

Board footer

View Cart →