#1 2008-06-10 8:11am

bridgethegap71
Bikes: 5

1981 Quicksilver Limited Edition

http://bmxmuseum.com/image/p4260020.jpg

1981 Quicksilver Limited Edition

Rarest of the Rare??

http://bmxmuseum.com/img/view-bike-in-museum.gif

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

#2 2008-06-10 8:40am

Kid_Carbine
Bikes: 2

Re: 1981 Quicksilver Limited Edition

Well that's a surprise. This is the hulk that I purchased.

Any info on the models history & list of serial numbers would be very much appreciated.

Quicksilver
It's Aussie for "BMX".

#3 2008-06-10 6:24pm

bridgethegap71

194 D left rear tip

#4 2008-06-11 6:21am

shivadread
Museum Addict
Bikes: 8

Post some more pics of it, loving those Quicksilvers

RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

#5 2008-06-11 4:08pm

revcore
Museum Addict
Bikes: 15

"Rarest of the Rare??"

Not quite.....The Helium Quicksilver was the rarest.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"

#6 2008-06-12 2:27am

bridgethegap71

Ok well I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one!

#7 2008-06-12 3:03am

Eljay

Quikies may be rare, but only cause they were low end bikes BITD, You'd always feel confident at the gate racing some stiff on a quickie. C'mon people in OZ you know I'm right, people are even glorifying Supermax, Madison, and Apollo LMAO POS then POS now!

From an unknown land and through distant skies came a winged warrior. Nothing remained sacred, no one was safe from the Hellion as it uttered it's battle cry... Screaming for Vengeance.

#8 2008-06-12 10:11am

Kid_Carbine

Why is it that BMX envy rears its ugly head.

Don't put down the lesser marques as these low cost machines put a lot of kids onto their first BMX wheels. More than a few of them did well & liked what they were doing, so moved up to better machines as finances allowed.

If they had not got a start on something more affordable, they may never have moved up, & some even reached the heights of BMX greatness, .... all thanks to the budget priced ride that got them started in the first place, ... & got them hooked.
It's for that reason that many of these bikes that you seem to despise have a rightfull place in any serious collection.

For those that never moved up, these budget beauties still provided many hours & many miles of great boyhood fun as they jumped over small obstacles & off hastily constructed [& often unsafe] ramps or rode through puddles & creeks pretending that they were just like their BMX heros, ... now surely that deserves our respect. After all, not everyone could afford a custom built high spec ride & these manufacturers gave the masses what they wanted at prices they could afford.

Lets hear it for the entry level machines.
Silly snobery & envy of other peoples toys has no place in any form of serious collecting & while I have my top end, built to customers order, pre war Goulburn To Sydney racer, I also have a bottom end basic roadster in the same make. It's not unlike the type of bike I learned to ride on & deliver newspapers on for years, back in the 60's.

P.S. I'm rebuilding a Madison now at the shop just to use up surplus new & used low end parts & to put some local kid on a BMX of his own for almost nix. POS? Perhaps, but after a major overhaul it'll run sweet & true & it'll be old school, so that'll be reward enough in itself.

The Kid

Last edited by Kid_Carbine (2008-06-12 5:38pm)

Quicksilver
It's Aussie for "BMX".

#9 2008-06-12 6:30pm

Eljay

Dude go easy with the word envy, I don't envy quicksilvers believe me, I didn't mean to sound harsh or upset any quicksilver owners, just stating the facts, there are people I know who are trying to sell them off for what they aren't to my bros, I am not talking from a collectors point of view, I'm talking strictly racing. BITD (82) me and 2 teammates were lucky to have the latest and greatest USA BMX bikes (f&f) only, supplied to us to race and in saying that I rest my case. I'm rating the quicksilver on it's intended purpose, performance on the track, not the carpet in the bike room!

From an unknown land and through distant skies came a winged warrior. Nothing remained sacred, no one was safe from the Hellion as it uttered it's battle cry... Screaming for Vengeance.

#10 2008-06-12 7:57pm

Kid_Carbine

Your appology is accepted.

Quicksilver
It's Aussie for "BMX".

#11 2008-06-13 1:36am

Hoagie
Expert

Eljay wrote:

I'm talking strictly racing. BITD (82) me and 2 teammates were lucky to have the latest and greatest USA BMX bikes (f&f) only, supplied to us to race

I take you and you team mates walked onto the track as noobs and were handed these "latest and greatest USA BMX bikes (f&f) only"...or you rode/started out on a ????

#12 2008-06-13 4:56am

Eljay

Let me tell you something Hoagie, you don't acquire the first Raceinc. in the land being a noob, next time please post something sensible or even better just concentrate on your collecting OK?

#13 2008-06-13 6:00am

Kid_Carbine

Now now fellers, I thought that this was BMX "Museum" .com where we honour the past & preserve the heritage, not "lets rubbish the artifacts" .com where we relive past glories, exhibit brand name snobery & flaunt fragile egos.
I'm sure that there are other forums that cater for such things.

I'm here to enjoy the machinery for what it IS now & if some people pay too much for their hearts desire, then it's their lookout, not mine. As long as they are happy with their purchase, then it's not a problem.
If my favorite brand never won a race, then I don't give a rats, I'll love it anyway. I like the design, the inovation, the patent evasions & the variety. It's all good.

Oh, I have the Madison rideable [but not finished] & four out of five schoolkids that test rode it this afternoon though it was 'cool' & the other thought it was 'OK'.
It might not have a glorious racing herritage or a huge price tag, but it will make some kid happy as he grows & that makes it all worthwhile for me.

So lets chill out [I love those old phrases] & all get down to preserving the herritage & enjoying the hobby. I know I will.
Now its back to work, I have two 80's era Repco BMX's to overhaul.

Quicksilver
It's Aussie for "BMX".

#14 2008-06-13 1:06pm

Hoagie
Expert

Eljay wrote:

Let me tell you something Hoagie, you don't acquire the first Raceinc. in the land being a noob, next time please post something sensible or even better just concentrate on your collecting OK?

If you took the time to read my post and get your head out of your arse stop telling us how great you were.  You would realize I am asking you what you and your mates first bikes were.
Bloody hell mate I get it ok you were a sponsered rider.for sure you didn't start that that way so yeah you were a noob....
Now I don't want to know ...infact don't bother answering my question.

Last edited by Hoagie (2008-06-13 1:15pm)

#15 2008-06-13 5:02pm

QuicksilverBMX
Pro Member
Bikes: 32

Gee Eljay, the only time I see you post is when you're bagging out Aussies and their achievments.

Dont forget to get along to the next Australian gathering and let Johnny chopper know what you think of him.

Last edited by QuicksilverBMX (2008-06-13 5:06pm)

#16 2008-06-13 5:42pm

Eljay

Got any examples or is it all in your mind, are you the repop lover? lol

#17 2008-06-16 4:32am

QuicksilverBMX
Pro Member

http://www.os-bmx.com/forums/index.php? … 1&st=0

Johnny Chopper also does frame repairs as well. Check my 17 bikes in the museum, no repops there.
You want to drag the Quicksilver name through the mud and expect me to stay silent?

#18 2008-06-16 5:16am

phatlogie
Bikes: 1

What do you mean low end?
I would have loved a quickie or mongoose as a kid.
I had a Big W (Walmart) Mongoose knock off...

I ended up replacing it with a GT but I never achieved what the professor did!

#19 2008-06-16 6:35am

Eljay

Gee I guess one can't have an opinion, Like I said I'm only commenting on the bikes performance! In over 700 races I never saw a quicksilver take 1st place. Did you read this in the the post you linked?

I hope JC the man himself sees this and I would implore him to stick to designing his own bikes, because he does possess a great skill. I am not victimizing the individual here, just the counterfeit BMX industry.

I have nothing against JC, just people who make counterfeit BMX products, especially those of the team I raced for! simple as that.

#20 2008-06-16 6:56am

Cressy 75
Expert
Bikes: 11

hey its bart taylor:lol:

go big note ur self some where else !
700 races blah blah blah who cares mate
this is someones collection ,if u dont like it dont comment
have also read the aussie stuff on OS and we dont bag each other on here
we help each other out with parts ,knowledge and with a bloke that has your 700 races knowledge
it would be a better service to help than discourage

2 cents

cressy
oh yer i was racing in 82 aswell but on a elizabeth star but hung with fountains and sweets etc
didnt matter what u rode aslong as you rode !!!

by the way nice quicky cant wait to see it built

#21 2008-06-16 7:08pm

Eljay

lol "Didn't matter what you rode as long as you rode" you didn't win many did you mate, You hear Perry Kramer saying that on Joe Kidd, yeah those elbows at the burm were just for fun! I was a hardcore racer still am, You race to win! BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

#22 2008-06-16 9:59pm

Cressy 75
Expert
Bikes: 11

nar didnt win many but had ago
still stuck out the elbows and ran a few over
hehehehe

any how nice talking to u ej
you are my new hero!
cressy

#23 2008-06-17 8:26pm

phatlogie
Bikes: 1

You don't think that Perry Kramer could not have done as well on a quicksilver?

If I take last place on my PK is my bike a dud?

Wake up Eljay, you're not giving yourself enough credit!

#24 2009-11-08 8:18pm

Kid_Carbine

OK, here's the current situation

1. I own this bike. I bought it at about the time that the picture was posted
2. After blasting, the full serial was revealed [9194D]
3. This is NOT a Limited Edition bike, but instead a standard Series 2 model
4. The serial number tells me that it was made in Sept 1981 [first month for Series 2 bikes] The actual build No. is 94 & the D tells me that it was welded into a frame by Darrell, one of the three factory frame builders at the time.

The rarest of the rare Quicksilvers? That's a subjective call.
Competition Development, the makers of Quicksilver, made more than a few prototypes & very limited run bikes or frames.
Here's a list of some that I know about

24" Cruiser with short head tube.
3 known, possibly 25 made, ... possibly.   Most 24's were the later, longer head tube version.

Limited Edition. [Xmas Special]
On sale for 24 shopping days only in December 1981. Three of these were half days [Saturdays]
1 known. Total production unknown, total sold unknown, but there were very few. [Unsold bikes in stores were returned & converted to components in early January 1982]

26" MTB.
3 known, about 15 thought to have been made.

Liquid Smoke.
1 known, possibly as few as 2 made.

Liquaro Mini.
1 known. Quantity made, unknown, but the number was very small.

Liquaro. 
None currently known I believe. Quantity made, unknown.

Team. [Factory race model]
About 5 known, Quantity made, estimated to be about 100

Team Helium. [Factory race model, production version]
About 15 known. Quantity made, estimated to be about 160.

Team Helium race frame for Factory team riders. [non production version, December 1981]
1 known. 3 of these were hand made from higher grade but thinner wall tubing.

Prototype 'BBR' frame.
2 known, 3 made.

Prototype 'Quadangle' type frame.
None known. 1, ... possibly 2, were made.

As can be seen, the manufacturer turned out thousands of regular production models, but there were a few more that qualify as being 'rare'

Quicksilver
It's Aussie for "BMX".

#25 2009-11-09 2:02am

QuicksilverBMX
Pro Member

Liquaro. 
None currently known I believe. Quantity made, unknown.

Pete has one

Board footer

View Cart →