You are not logged in.

Southern California BMX Track History  RSS Feed

#51 2011-11-19 11:48pm

SLEEZSTACK
Centurion Member
Bikes: 1

Re: Southern California BMX Track History

Some of you guys are killing me with  your spelling. madmad.......... It's    A Z U S A  home of JMC and The SLEEZSTACK!!  Everything from A to Z in the USA!cool

It ain't easy being SLEEZY...

#52 2011-11-20 8:51am

strokertorker
Museum Newbie

RL20II wrote:

Where was Knotts berry farm?....that was a track yes?...just wondering is all i remember seeing a fair bit about it in the mags bitd.
I have no idea where it was situated...living in the land down under does that to a person LOL

O; Yeah ,  Knotts Berry Farm had a track.

#53 2011-11-20 8:53am

strokertorker
Museum Newbie

Monrovia had a cool track

#54 2011-11-20 9:10am

SoCalElder
Intermediate
Website

The first track I ever raced was at Carlsbad Raceway in Carlsbad,Ca. I was on a Murray Track Certified. I remember the first straight out of the gate seemed like a 1/8 mike downhill in "the berm of doom"! Half way down the hill your gearing would tap out and you'd just coast the rest of the way. Then it was on to Kerrny Moto, Lake Elsinore.

Looking For: 24" Race Inc Forks

#55 2011-11-20 10:31am

MPDano

strokertorker wrote:

Monrovia had a cool track

Raced Monrovia all the time.  It was before I got picked up by Magic Mushroom Cyclery in Glendale.  Mostly Van Nuys, Devonshire the towards the end of my stint we stated going to some desert track, it had a jump that looked a 1/4 pipe.  Pretty much stopped after I did some 18 expert racing.

Leo "Primo" Dano
Racing Career 1980-1985
13 Novice, 13 to 18 Expert
SoCal

#56 2011-11-20 11:24am

Racer
Pro MemberPhilly Cheese Steak
Bikes: 22

When did Carlsbad race BMX? Was that at the MX track? What sanction was it?

#57 2011-11-21 8:51pm

strokertorker
Museum Newbie

Axle wrote:

This is a great topic that needs to be discussed more .  First let me introduce myself. My name is Alex "Axle" Idzardi. I grew up in Santa Ana California through the 1970s,grew up and hung out with Pete Loncaravich who i understand later became pro.  There was a bunch of us kids from different neighborhoods that all hung out after school in the fields near our homes. Like mentioned  in other posts & films we originally took grocery store bought bikes and ripped them apart to the bare essentials. After a year the fields were literally flooded with broken frames & forks (remember that all you ol timers?) so we started taking Schwinn stingrays and making BMX bikes out of them. I remember removing the Banana seats ,replacing them with 10 speed seats, then going to the bike center and buying a "square bar" handle bar. That at one time was the only aftermarket BMX accesory item sold (at least in our area). then came "Nobbies".  Soon after i remember a factory BMX bike coming out and i think it was called "Stroker". It had a square steel frame and the damn bike weighed a TON ! Anyone remember those?  Also, this was before anyone made handle bar,gooseneck,or frame pads so tracks at the time were putting rubber over those area's then wrapping them with electrical tape.

This was mid 1970's - the long hair era, the surfer look, brown Levi corduroy's, wallabee shoes, hang 10 shirts - Pre OP,Lightening Bolt,Custom Vans shoes.

by the later 70's i got sponsored by DG along with people like Jeff Botema (Spl?)

Anyway, i'd love to respectively add to your So-Cal BMX track list as there are a couple missing and others that i can add info to.

Santa Ana Elks  Track - located on Lyon street near the Santa Ana zoo. 
Fountain Valley Track - located right next to the Fountain Valley drive in movie theatre and the 405 fwy.
Western Sportsorama in Anaheim- located on Lincoln ave  right next to the Cement plant.
Irvine BMX - located on Jeffrey Rd right off the 5 Fwy. The starting area was on a highly built up hill and half of the track was downhill.
Van Nuys BMX track. It might be the Youth Center you guys are talking about - it was right next to a huge flood control canal, and next to the parking lot was a Disco.
La Mirada BMX - located at La Mirada Park.
Azusa BMX - don't remember much but i did race there.

Hope this helps guys. thanks for the trip down memory lane !

p.s. got out of BMX in 1981, then in the summer of 82' moved to Riverside. One day i walked down to the shopping center nearby and who/what do i see ? Stu Thompson's Bicycle center !  I couldn't believe my eyes ! See Stu with his own bike shop in Riverside was a trip.

Stroker , I use to have one , hunting for one !  I grew up in La Mirada , I spent a lot of time on that track and many others .

#58 2012-04-13 10:44pm

AnglicoJarhead
Museum Newbie

jhammons01 wrote:

Still a very cool thread.....History needs no reason to be bumped.

I am not from here, but the officials at the Irvine City hall are convinced that the Irvine track was located at the location between Alton and Barranca off of Jefferey. There is a baseball park there called Ryon Lemon Stadium and a Boys and Girls club.

The folks that raced the Irvine track both state in this thread that it was just off the 5 on Jeffery....which "is" a park and ride now....

Growing up in Woodbridge, I was at that track every day after school, pretty much anytime we weren't down in Newport or Huntington, the track was actually situated between Jeffrey and East Yale Loop, with Barranca Pkwy running NW between E Yale Loop and Jeffrey. I seem to recall the building of the Boys and Girls club towards my graduating Woodbridge HS in '86, I also seem to recall there being a Fire station there somewhere in the the general area, and when I was back in Irvine a few years back it was no longer there. Anyone here ride there back in the mid-late 80's??

#59 2013-03-12 9:55pm

HOT*BOX*R/C
Pro Member

There was an awesome track at centennial park in Santa Ana ,Ca. I remember seeing pistol Pete there and Greg hill  it was a very well built track with lots of pro's .....grew up by saddleback high school ...
Cruz.....cool

***Santa Ana,Ca. ******
I don't sell or deal with this p.o.s.member "TENHIGHRC"

#60 2013-03-12 10:10pm

TXBONE
Pro MemberTWENTYFOUR7EVEN
Bikes: 27

Simi Valley is called sycamore bmx. Still owned by Joan and tony nigro. I have been racing there since jr high school. 15 years ago until now.

I watched mike day,bubba Harris, sean storms, Danny Robinson and Eric Rupe all  race and practice there consistently as its their home track.

Last edited by TXBONE (2013-03-12 10:12pm)

I can not sit still. I have been tested for A.D.D. and A.D.H.D. and have neither. I don't need coffee, I just need a B.M.X. or surfboard to consistently ride and I'll be happy. smile
INSTAGRAM: @sean_colburn          CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE VIDEOS. SEARCH: 27TXBONE

[img]http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee447/SEA_ELECTRIC/Internet%20bs%20images/815a8d608e0c528b08240357ddbcb522_zpsdedf4245.jpg[/img]

#61 2013-03-12 10:28pm

Racer
Pro MemberPhilly Cheese Steak
Bikes: 22

I taught clinics there (Simi) around 92-94 for Hyper.
Centennial was insane, I couldnt jump any doubles there. Practice track for the ages.

#62 2013-03-12 10:33pm

TXBONE
Pro MemberTWENTYFOUR7EVEN
Bikes: 27

Racer wrote:

I taught clinics there (Simi) around 92-94 for Hyper.
Centennial was insane, I couldnt jump any doubles there. Practice track for the ages.

Rad smile

I can not sit still. I have been tested for A.D.D. and A.D.H.D. and have neither. I don't need coffee, I just need a B.M.X. or surfboard to consistently ride and I'll be happy. smile
INSTAGRAM: @sean_colburn          CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE VIDEOS. SEARCH: 27TXBONE

[img]http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee447/SEA_ELECTRIC/Internet%20bs%20images/815a8d608e0c528b08240357ddbcb522_zpsdedf4245.jpg[/img]

#63 2013-04-14 12:25am

davo5150
Museum Newbie

I AM GLAD TO SEE SOME REMEMBERED COAL CANYON,MALIBU GRAND PRIX WAS REALLY INTERSTING PLACE TO RACE FLAT ASPHALT TURNS,WHAT ABOUT NORCO YMCA I REMEMBER THE STARTING GATE WAS A HUGH BUILT UP HILL.

#64 2013-06-17 8:05pm

Rdprime
Museum Newbie

All of this info is amazing

#65 2013-06-17 11:24pm

AparijoFan
Expert
Bikes: 4

Santa Maria, Ca- Waller Park, moved in 1985? about 1/2 mile to the YMCA , Still at the YMCA as far i i know, ill ask my bro since he still lives there

it may have been called ORCUTT Ca since its right at the line of Orcutt and Santa Maria

CW LOGO TIRES "Black" Please contact if you have some to sell, Thank you

#66 2013-06-17 11:45pm

Old-School-Fool-951
Bikes: 1

my kids race at the Perris track... BMX still alive and kickin

Back in my day, we didnt have all these fancy dancy freesytle bike flipping and bouncing trick type stuff, Man Kids Got It Good Now Dayz hmm

#67 2013-06-17 11:58pm

robk131313
Admin***GRANDPA***
Bikes: 11

davo5150 wrote:

I AM GLAD TO SEE SOME REMEMBERED COAL CANYON,MALIBU GRAND PRIX WAS REALLY INTERSTING PLACE TO RACE FLAT ASPHALT TURNS,WHAT ABOUT NORCO YMCA I REMEMBER THE STARTING GATE WAS A HUGH BUILT UP HILL.

Coal canyon was where I got my first, 1st place trophy. It was also the first time my dad came to watch me race (parents were separated) I had to race with the experts that day (I was novice) and I kicked ass! I will never forget that day. cool

#68 2013-09-26 9:09am

Candyman7033
Museum Newbie

Wow!  I never thought I'd be reflecting on those days!  1981: Van Nuys Teen Center; Jimmy Weinhart BMX. 1st race riding a custom built aluminum bike made by Alex Romero (my uncle), wearing blue jeans and a yellow O'Neal jersey. Racing 9 Novice! And took the win!!! After that continued through 14-15, racing Expert and Cruiser. My race bikes were a Hutch 20" and Free Agent 24"!  I raced for Alosta Bike Shop-Rosemead, Ca and S&K Racing, Azusa, Ca. Home tracks: Azusa ABA and NBL, as well as Nationals in Stockton, Chandler Az, Las Vegas Nv, Elsinore, Ascot and Pico Rivera. Too many memories to recall. Innocence lost wink

#69 2013-09-26 9:13am

Candyman7033
Museum Newbie

"Cross-ups, Flying-W's, Kick-outs, Endo's, Tabletops, Big-air!, Curb-jumpin'"!!! Man I'm old!  wink

#70 2013-09-26 9:17am

Candyman7033
Museum Newbie

I used to take gate start lessons from Harry Leary in his driveway in his last days with Diamondback!  God i was in "awe"!!

#71 2013-09-26 10:42pm

wrldzmyn
Bikes: 7

There used to be a track at long beach veterans stadium over by LBCC

#72 2013-09-27 9:09am

Diamondback249
Pro Member
Bikes: 3

Wow, what an awesome thread, bringing back some great memories. I used to race at Ascot in Gardena, grew up in the Carson area. We also made a make shift track at a place called " Jack Rabbit ", it was off the 405 fwy in Carson. Those were the days, bmxing with your friends smile

#73 2013-11-28 4:24am

MPDano

Candyman7033 wrote:

Wow!  I never thought I'd be reflecting on those days!  1981: Van Nuys Teen Center; Jimmy Weinhart BMX. 1st race riding a custom built aluminum bike made by Alex Romero (my uncle), wearing blue jeans and a yellow O'Neal jersey. Racing 9 Novice! And took the win!!! After that continued through 14-15, racing Expert and Cruiser. My race bikes were a Hutch 20" and Free Agent 24"!  I raced for Alosta Bike Shop-Rosemead, Ca and S&K Racing, Azusa, Ca. Home tracks: Azusa ABA and NBL, as well as Nationals in Stockton, Chandler Az, Las Vegas Nv, Elsinore, Ascot and Pico Rivera. Too many memories to recall. Innocence lost wink

I loved that Van Nuys Track.  I still remember flipping over the gate 3 times with gate issues.  I remember they just put in the electronic gate.

Leo "Primo" Dano

Leo "Primo" Dano
Racing Career 1980-1985
SoCal

#74 2013-11-28 4:28am

MPDano

Diamondback249 wrote:

Wow, what an awesome thread, bringing back some great memories. I used to race at Ascot in Gardena, grew up in the Carson area. We also made a make shift track at a place called " Jack Rabbit ", it was off the 405 fwy in Carson. Those were the days, bmxing with your friends smile

That's where my BMX career started at Ascot.  Started in 13 Novice and made 13 Expert after 5 races.  Love that track!

Leo "Primo" Dano
Racing Career 1980-1985
SoCal

#75 2013-11-28 10:21am

oldhotrod
Website

Back in the very early 70s, pre or earliest bmx frame days, the City of Upland built a little track in a flat dirt field under hi-power lines. We went to the local bike shop, Roy's Schwinn and bought a "bmx kit" for something like $14 which consisted of knobbies, 10-speed seat, bars and number plate to convert the trusty very used Stingray. I had to bike and hike several miles to get to the track to see a mostly flat track with little curb sized jumps and bumps...I don't think there was anyone there with a diamond frame, all I remember were a bunch of Stingrays and similar bikes racing for little trophys...

Never underestimate the power of a wheelie...

Board footer

View Cart →