Re: Southern California BMX Track History

Nice for someone to finally respond hmm .  Thanks Chris

#27 2008-09-01 6:35am

momo_torker
Intermediate
Bikes: 1

The 2 tracks I raced at the most were:

Sto park in Santa Barbara - ABA (my home track)
Santa maria - ABA
Lompoc - probably ABA but not sure (horrible track and it didn't last long either)

Azzua - Van Nuys - Irvine but it was tough.. getting rides with other kids parents was the only way.
~~~

GT_BMX_1985 wrote:

A FEW YEARS LATER I RACED IN THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN NATIONALS
THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES...

Wow, I wonder if that was the same year as the one I went to? (My memory is fuzzy on what year tongue 82 or 83 maybe) Nice steep start, big berms and jumps, real fast track. It took a real ling time to get to the gate for a practice run IIRC. I was basically too scared to do one of the doubles in practice and wound up not able to speed jump it in my first moto and had to take it. Got a bit wobblie but didn't crash. I had the privilege of taking a practice lap off the gate with Harry Larry and see him reach the first turn when I was literally like half way to it. That dude was fast off the gate and fast as hell period... and just huge. Freeking big guy! Tons of fun!

You could go on the park rides when not racing and flirt with the girlies ^_^

I was at a Lancaster national too, but I hated the track. Sandy and just bad. Great tabletop soon after the gate tho.

~~~

Stow park in was a funny track in a way. Sort of an L in a bigger L or wacky U in a U. A bent outa shape u. Very small starting hill. You had to make your own speed on it. I rode that track thousands of times so I was used to the lines but you could see outa town riders get bad laps due to now knowing it well. Kids (like me) would change it all the during time the week too so you never knew what turn would go to mud, what jump would have lip on one side and none on the other...bad ruts at times too. The last turn had a tree on the inside that over hung the track. You could literally hit your head on it, but it was the best line in spite of the tree and sick puffy dirt. The outside was a nice packed berm, but the inside was the bomb line.

For about a year the last real jump right after the last turn was an old tabletop that either John Bosie or Frostie Leva had built a little jump right in front of. For no logical reason. People crashed or got passed on it all the time. It looked like speed jumping the lil jump and real jumping the table was best, but it was waaaay better to just jump the whole table off of the lil jump / later someone built a lip on the tale end of the top before the down slope... just silly stupid and treacherous.

It was heavily supported and organized by Dennis Shelly who pretty much kept many of us from winding up in jail.

Some cats who raced it (off the top of my head)

John Bosie
Frostie & Bobo Leva
Wade & Weldon Nomura
"Yoda"
Richard Rice
Alex Wong
Sean Callahan <--- eventually became a scarry good racer
Jeff Silva <--- also scarry good at one point, but was older that me and already getting out of it
Titus Gutierrez
Doug Randal

Seriously considering a torker/redline midlife crisis project ^_^

#28 2008-09-19 5:46pm

BShute
Museum Newbie

I raced at the Super track in Lake Elsinore for a few ABA Nationals in 1985

I didn't see it on the list of So. Cal. tracks.

(1985-86 ABA - NJ #1) (1985 ABA National #8 "age group")
(1985 ABA National #92 "overall")
(1984-85-86 NBL - DEL #1 "State Champion")
(1987 ABA National #28 PRO)

#29 2008-10-06 4:24am

BMXRider38
Bikes: 2

In the 80,s there was a BMX track in Long Beach California at Vetrians Stadium off Lakewood Blvd.. Was not mentioned so Im listing it.

#30 2008-10-06 10:45am

ca-8oldschooler
Centurion Member
Bikes: 3

i raced a national at the azuza track(nbl). had a bridge and such, i do remember andy patterson had never raced there before, and never practiced before his first moto. he ended up taking the second half of the track as everyone else went the right way. that must have been in 84 or 85

raced ca-8 from 81-86. raced for ccs and for MobyDick bike shop. own 2 dy jmcs and a boss cruiser.

#31 2008-10-06 2:24pm

jeffr818
Pro Member

Devonshire Downs in Granada Hills, I know if you remember the Teen Center you have to remember Devonshire Downs. Then for skateboarding you had good old Skatercross on Reseda Blvd., which we also ride our bikes at, but was technically a skate board park.

#32 2008-10-06 5:27pm

ca-8oldschooler
Centurion Member

he also turned into an a$$

raced ca-8 from 81-86. raced for ccs and for MobyDick bike shop. own 2 dy jmcs and a boss cruiser.

#33 2008-10-10 8:22am

momo_torker
Intermediate

ca-8oldschooler wrote:

he also turned into an a$$

Why say that and not say why? He was cool with me and everyone I knew for 10+ years aside from kicking everyone's but on the track. You represent knowing the cat? You want to take the time to slag him, at least say WHY or it is just vapor. And why not post about your local so cal track history while we are at it?

#34 2008-10-10 9:01pm

ca-8oldschooler
Centurion Member

i knew sean from the national circuit. he just had a smart mouth at times. and i raced against him in the 15 to 16 cruiser class. he was a year younger than i. i believe the last time i saw him was at the mile high nationals in colorado springs at the penrose equestrian center in 85 or 86. i raced a few nationals in so cal, asuza, burbank equestrian center, i was a local nor-cal racer. and u are right, he was fast. i met him through a mutual friend named alex damron. alex and i raced for the same team.

#35 2008-12-01 8:19am

scottstout
Museum Newbie

wow noone mentioned  the track my family owned, Devonshire Downs bmx track in Northridge. Probably had more nationals than any of the other tracks BITD. Home of Danny Nelson, Peter Casano, Travis Chipres,Charlie Williams on and on and on, and me too. Anyone have any pics of the track, I would love to see them. ya also forgot Ascot raceway bmx, where I passed Bubba hays in the last turn to win a war of the stars.

Last edited by scottstout (2008-12-01 8:25am)

#36 2009-01-25 12:57am

cutters
Museum Newbie
Bikes: 2

Just a quick fix for ya. #22 High Desert BMX was in Hesperia, CA. not Barstow. It was my local track smile

#37 2009-06-30 11:03pm

DanLaumbach
Museum Newbie

I know im resurrecting an ancient thread, but i thought as an old local Cal 3 racer from the late 70s to early 80s, I would add my 2 cents to this as well and name some other so cal tracks that I didnt see named that I raced on. Pipeline bmx, Prado Park, and the really interesting one was at Anaheim Malibu Grand Prix run on the pavement for a brief time around 80-81.

#38 2009-07-05 3:13am

momo_torker
Intermediate

DanLaumbach wrote:

I know im resurrecting an ancient thread, but ...

I think it is a good bump for a great thread big_smile

#39 2010-05-16 2:20am

Bike & Sports
Museum Newbie

momo_torker, I was just browsing the web for Saddleback motocross, and came across this site.  Your mention of Stow park BMX caught my attention , as well as a couple of the names you mentioned in your post.  My cousin lives in Goleta, and I remember riding Stow way back in '77. I came out from Florida for a month on vacation, and brought my Mongoose with me as luggage on the plane.  I am 46, and still have memories of those days.

As soon as the plane landed at LAX, my cousin and family were there to meet us. It was probably 1:00- 2:00 am. Went to my grandparents in Glendale, jammed my bike together, and we were headed to Corona for the Big Mama by 6:00 am.  The Leyva's were in tow with us.  Passing Twinkies from car to car on the freeway. My Aunt was freaking out as Torpedo  ( Frosty, Isaac, and BoBo's older brother) inched closer and closer to us . He wanted that Twinkie.

Corona was a real eye opener for a Florida boy ,where there is not much elevation.  First practice run down the start hill, I came through the sweeper and the G's carried me right to the top and over the berm. People were scattering to get out of the way.  I got it together though, and finished all my heats. You had to win your heat to transfer ,and I came up second in my final heat, but it was still a great time.

I was able to hit Western Sports O'Rama and took a third in the 12-13 novice main, took a win at Santa Ana, and was able to practice at Monrovia during my stay.  But I really had the most fun just riding over by the lake near the Leyva's place.  Also remember the cool jump on the Dos Pueblos High school campus.

I remember Alex Wong also.  He had a new '76 RM125 that he let me ride at a place near the beach. If you rode to the edge of the bluff up top, you could look over and see the nudist's laying around on the beach.

When I came back in '80, Isaac Leyva and I were riding his RM80 on the other side of the freeway not far from his house.  He hands it over to me ,and it made about three laps around this little track ,and promptly broke the piston. He was a bit bummed about that.

My cousin is Mark Thomas. He rode for Wade Namura during his racing days. I remember Wade and Dennis' shop. My cousin's first race ever was in '74 or so in Santa Barbara.  It was at some horse show arena. Will Rogers or something like that?

Anyhow, just thought it was cool to see some old names I knew that made lasting memories for me. 

Torpedo has since passed away, and I believe Isaac is gone too.

Great thread, sorry to dig this up from so long ago.

Doug Parker

#40 2010-05-20 3:04am

momo_torker
Intermediate

Cool post Doug, especially about the passing twinkies on the freeway with the silva guys... classic SB family big_smile Not sure if I remember Marc, altho I must of at least seen him race. All of wade and weldons riders stood out.

#41 2010-08-05 9:23pm

1Bonzi7C
Museum Newbie

Lancaster, had (6) tracks:
1972 Antelope Valley Fairgrounds. (no sanction) Bruce Howell
1974 Antelope Valley Fairgrounds. (no sanction) Bruce Howell
1975 Antelope Valley Fairgrounds (NBA)
                  Bruce Howell / Jerry "Bonzi" Fields
1976-77 Redesigned Antelope Valley Fairgrounds (Closed 77')
                  Bruce Howell / Jerry "Bonzi" Fields
1976-80 YWCA (NBA) Carmon Torres Director
1980-? Parks and Recs Bmx Complex (NBA / ABA?) Carmon Torres

East of Lancaster (Wilsona Gardens) AKA: Joshua National Forrest area
1965-1971? The Ponderosa (no sanction)

Bakersfield:
1976-1978 YMCA (NBA)
1976-198? sprockets Park Downhill by Ming Lake (NBA)
1975-1978 Oildale Raceway (NBA) AKA: TRX Raceway

75-79 NBA Central Cal #7C / #1 14 over expert / #1 16 over expert / NBA Open Pro / ABA Open Pro #70 / Sponsored Patterson / JMC / Martin's

#42 2010-09-04 5:47pm

phillyphill17
Expert
Bikes: 12

I raced at the track in Moreno Valley (Sunnymead) ABA back in '86.  Number 16 on your list.  Fun times.

#43 2010-09-07 7:36pm

detailsmac
Museum Newbie

Fountain Valley Elks ? and Anaheim Convention Center (wood jumps and concrete) maybe 1980 , it was a ABA National.

#44 2010-09-08 7:23am

1Bonzi7C
Museum Newbie

aren't we looking for permanent tracks?

75-79 NBA Central Cal #7C / #1 14 over expert / #1 16 over expert / NBA Open Pro / ABA Open Pro #70 / Sponsored Patterson / JMC / Martin's

#45 2010-11-14 9:06am

jhammons01
Centurion Member

Still a very cool thread.....History needs no reason to be bumped.

I am not from here, but the officials at the Irvine City hall are convinced that the Irvine track was located at the location between Alton and Barranca off of Jefferey. There is a baseball park there called Ryon Lemon Stadium and a Boys and Girls club.

The folks that raced the Irvine track both state in this thread that it was just off the 5 on Jeffery....which "is" a park and ride now....

#46 2010-11-17 8:12pm

feetos
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

jeffr818 wrote:

Devonshire Downs in Granada Hills, I know if you remember the Teen Center you have to remember Devonshire Downs. Then for skateboarding you had good old Skatercross on Reseda Blvd., which we also ride our bikes at, but was technically a skate board park.

There was actually two different Devonshire Downs Tracks.  The Second was a downhill Track.

Just because it is NOS does not mean it is New or Undamaged

#47 2011-01-08 6:25pm

DynamoDon
Museum Newbie

Racer wrote:

Im doing this from memory having moved to SoCal in 81. Others can add or help. I divided the state cause it just hasd too many tracks lol.

27. Lancaster, CA - ABA- (never forget Richie Anderson pedaled everything)
28. Lancaster, CA -ABA?- (The newer track was in a different location)

I did these from memory, tried to list them by county but they got a lil out of order.

Thats cool you have such a good memory, my memory only comes back after reminiscing the past.
Speaking of Lancaster, CA the original track from 80 was an ABA track (ABA CA-17) and was home of notables such as Insane Wayne, Gary Laurent,
Rich Bartlett just to name a few, not to mention the dozen or so other pros that lived within driving distance.  I grew up on the heel's of these
guys and I learned allot from them.  They were all the greatest guys, never making me feel out of place on or off the track.

Old school Lancaster track was famous for it's "bowl turn" which dropped down some 12-14 feet, not to mention the four foot mound that sat at it's beginning.
The track changed several times but the bowl was never messed with until the tracks demise in the late 80's when it was filled up and closed.

The new track still ABA began some time in the late 90's and still the ABA it was given a different CA number as the old CA 17 was given to Santa Clarita CA. 
It was subsequently given back to Lancaster which I deeply respected!

D-

#48 2011-04-06 8:07am

MPDano

scottstout wrote:

wow noone mentioned  the track my family owned, Devonshire Downs bmx track in Northridge. Probably had more nationals than any of the other tracks BITD. Home of Danny Nelson, Peter Casano, Travis Chipres,Charlie Williams on and on and on, and me too. Anyone have any pics of the track, I would love to see them. ya also forgot Ascot raceway bmx, where I passed Bubba hays in the last turn to win a war of the stars.

Wow, I love this track.  I used to race for Magic Mushroom Cyclery out of Glendale Cali and remember ruling this track.  I think I was racing 16 or 17 expert at the time.  I almost remember crashing into someone who ate it off the triple woops and I was still in the air.  Pretty much thought my nuts were a gonner.  lol.

Funny, I started my BMX racing stint at Ascot in Gardena.

Leo "Primo" Dano
Racing Career 1980-1985
13 Novice, 13 to 18 Expert
SoCal

#49 2011-11-18 8:24pm

Aaron4130
Pro Member
Bikes: 10

Ascot in Carson was the smoothest. Then it closed and had to race at Orange Y, the fastest track. What about Coal Caynon in Yorba Linda, the slowest.

#50 2011-11-19 10:55pm

izzydeL.A32
Museum Newbie

I'm gonna start with the Riverside tracks cause that's where i rode as a teenager.Riversides ABA track was called Riverside BMX ( my home track ).  The other Riverside track was called Twin Palms Bmx . Twin Palms is one of the most famous jumping spots of alltime BTW!!!  And my favorite was the ever famous Coal Canyon in yorba Linda. And none of these tracks exist anymore unfortunately.

Board footer

View Cart →