You are not logged in.

Hutch Hi-Performance BMX  RSS Feed

#1 2008-04-29 6:46pm

John De Bruin
Museum Addict
Website

Hutch Hi-Performance BMX

I am pleased to announce that I have recently acquired full ownership and trademark rights to the company Hutch Hi-Performance BMX, and am able to share preliminary plans for the future.

A brief history about me…

Always been a “Hutch guy†. Bought my pre-serial # in August of 1983, raced/rode until 1987. I enjoy building show-quality bikes today, and am a strong advocate of actually riding them.

In my dad’s younger days, he was a paid diver searching for sunken Spanish ships. Later on and when I was around 10, he wanted to go to the deeper wrecks, and I watched him use engine lathes and other big equipment to build his own submarine. From that point I knew I wanted to make stuff too. My professional career has always been new product development, and because I started at the beginning of the PC age, my strength has been advanced CAD/CAM programming combined with the use of CNC milling machines. Working directly for one of the largest CAD/CAM software companies, I traveled the world training and helping many high-profile companies with advanced machining concepts.

“Alright, so what are your plans?†…

My plans are to introduce new product “re-issues† that are remarkably similar to originals, but having at least 1 feature different than the originals. That 1 feature will fit the criteria that, in order to remove or modify it for the purpose of deceiving to be original, would take more effort than realistically worth while based on the likelihood of it being recognized as being altered, or would simply destroy the integrity of the item altogether.

Using today’s technology, I am confident that quality will either meet or exceed the high-quality standards of the originals. I will NOT do anything to jeopardize or degrade the reputation of Hutch as being the finest-quality bicycle components manufacturer ever.

“And what will these re-issues do to the value of my original stuff?†…

Your natural first reaction may be that it will decrease the values of the originals. I believe this will be completely false and backwards. In fact, values of high-quality or NOS originals are likely to INCREASE, based on increased demand through an enlarging population of collectors entering the sport…which is directly based on the availability of lower-cost re-issues. As a certain percentage of those new collectors mature, they will eventually want to collect vintage originals, and the larger base of collectors will support increased values. This equation is common to the fields of vintage guitar collecting and vintage muscle car collecting, just to name a couple examples.

“What did it take to resurrect the Hutch name and company?†…

In short, an immense amount of research…and money. Hutch Hi-Performance BMX was fragmented after its demise. Besides ownership and trademark rights, it was required that I solve beyond a reasonable doubt any potential issues relating to the various other legal issues that happened along the way. I formed my company in 2005, so it has taken more than 2 years to complete this process. The cost to purchase the rights was significant as well.

Making small consumables such as decals or pads requires little investment compared to the durable components. Imagine for example any 6 parts that Hutch made, then imagine the costs associated with making minimum batch requirements large enough to bring costs down enough so that the product can be priced accordingly. That quickly escalates into huge numbers. Anyone who doubts my willingness to defend these rights should strongly consider what I have invested to get to this point.

“What is your company?†…

My company is Trick Bike Company, LLC. Hutch Hi-Performance BMX and the Hutch logos are registered trademarks of Trick Bike Company, LLC. All rights reserved.

“Any plans for new-school products?†…

I envision new-school products that have a slight flair of the brand-specific styling to vintage originals. New-school offerings are a “phase 2† subject and will not happen right away. However, I strongly encourage and welcome any design recommendations, and will make a fair and equitable business arrangement with anyone that brings a viable or interesting product idea forward. The real potential for exponential profit lies within the larger retail market of the new-school population.

“What are the first products you will be offering?†…

This is an exciting time for BMX. We have the Olympic events for the first time, and we are also smack-dab in the middle of the 25th anniversary of the greatest era ever for vintage BMX. The Hutch product line is as in-depth as it gets. Therefore, the potential for strong interest is good. I will be announcing products and availability at the point of manufacturing where I receive the first prototypes in-hand and can inspect quality. Quality must meet my expectations to be considered as an available product. Pre-orders will only be offered after quality has been assured with the prototypes. I do have multiple projects working simultaneously now, and I may even have something at Rockford.

“Anything else besides Hutch coming?†…

Yes. I have acquired rights to CW, and I am working on acquiring rights to a few other select brands. I am also attempting to work with some existing and still-in-business companies for product re-issues. I hope this broad-base of new product offerings will allow our sport to grow, and also won't compromise the value and heritage of original vintage items for those who wish to collect only those items. It is a fine balance, and one I have given considerable thought to.

Thank you,
John

#2 2008-04-29 6:48pm

Gtcompe
Banned
Bikes: 9
Website

Re: Hutch Hi-Performance BMX

SWEET!!!!!!
THIS IS AWESOME!!

#3 2008-04-29 7:16pm

stclair411
Museum Addict

Please......TrickStar Retro! Put my order in!

#4 2008-04-29 7:29pm

stclair411
Museum Addict

My vote-Retro TrickStar in FLAT BLACK! Nothing else. I want it.

#5 2008-04-29 7:30pm

John De Bruin
Museum Addict
Website

80sKid wrote:

...HUTCH Aerospeed cranks... Maybe usable using the 48 spline spindle. Dang endless ideas!!

Yes sir, I spoke to Jim Alley last week about using his steel and ti spindles.

#6 2008-04-29 7:34pm

stclair411
Museum Addict

What about my bike John. C'mon man your killing me. Where do I send my deposit?

#7 2008-04-29 8:46pm

13thoni
Pro MemberNeeds BMX Intervention
For Sale: 2
Website

i have a set of the polished cages and if the rest of the stuff is this good...i guess i will be in need of a whole new set of bikes and parts

I like BMX

#8 2008-04-29 8:53pm

Triumvirat
The Dr. Phil of BMX
Bikes: 7

This is awesome. I can't wait to follow the progress. You have my full support. (And yes, Aerospeeds please) big_smile

"That's what makes the Museum such a wonderful place. Pure, unadulterated, misunderstanding. 24/7"

#9 2008-04-29 8:58pm

John De Bruin
Museum Addict
Website

No deposits being accepted...yet. But I have lots of plans in the works!

Thanks for the positive comments. I'm glad you guys like the news.

#10 2008-04-29 8:58pm

oneluv1979
The Profile "Champ"
Bikes: 19

personally , and this is just my opinion ......

I do not like what your doing repoping the HUTCH CLAMPS & CAGES !!

SIMPLY BEACUSE THEY ARE SO DEAD ON !!! NICE WORK

but the few hutch clamps i paid top dollar for 8 months ago wont bring more then $40 and the cages that little R can be polished right off ..

Keep in mind people like HEATH !!!

Im sorry but takin the actual hutch logo and repoping parts dead on is killing what so many consider there PASSION ( HUTCH )

just my 2cents

WANTED :   FRED Z Chrome 24" Bars,, DK 1st Gen Clamp,Cyclecraft 24" Frame & forks ,

[img]http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn125/proudamerican79/bw-soflo-charter.gif[/img]

#11 2008-04-29 9:10pm

apocalypse dude
Pro Memberpro hater
Bikes: 2

is there new website? thanks/

THIS IS A 90'S RARE GEM - MR. HOFFMAN, MR. HAWK AND MANY OTHER CELLEBRITIES WOULD BE PROUD TO HAVE THIS BIKE AMONG THEIR COLLECTION.

#12 2008-04-29 9:24pm

John De Bruin
Museum Addict
Website

Oneluv, I don't make the clamps. That's someone else. However, I was happy to buy the near-NOS original blue clamp on eBay a few days ago for what I thought was a steal at $75.00. The sport is evolving, and like it or not, your capacity of being able to distinguish originals from cheap fakes is an increasing requirement. But what I offer is a strict methodology that I will apply to differentiate reissues from vintage originals.

Web site is coming, and will post when first product pre-orders are made available. I will annouce the address as it gets closer, and will likely have an ad banner on vintagebmx by then.

#13 2008-04-29 9:48pm

84SKYWAY
Expert
Bikes: 3

That's great, I suggest start to make parts such as stem, pedals, cranks, hubs..... I really don't want spend those ebay pricing on the Hutch parts. Retro Trickstar, Pro Racer, or Judge will be good idea but should be limited production just like Skyway makes 25th anv. T/A, Kuwahara makes 250 of the retro KZ-1, but those are just my opinons. Anyway, we are so excite about your Hutch. Way to go John.

I am not collecting BMX. I am collecting BMS.......Big Money Spend.

#14 2008-04-29 9:48pm

glenn1011
Pro Member
Bikes: 14
Website

Absolutly amazing, I really think there is a solid market for repro Hutch stuff. Please keep us all posted.

Glenn

Old school Sherwood Park.

#15 2008-04-29 11:13pm

robocon
Intermediate
Website

thats as cool as it gets keep us all posted-rob

Berwyn,Cicero,Altoona

friends help you move - REAL friends help you move dead bodys...

#16 2008-04-30 2:33am

coasty
Pro Member
Bikes: 18

Wow, Just Wow.

70's bmx is where it's at.

#17 2008-04-30 3:14am

b.cal
Centurion Member
Bikes: 3

oneluv1979 wrote:

personally , and this is just my opinion ......

I do not like what your doing repoping the HUTCH CLAMPS & CAGES !!

SIMPLY BEACUSE THEY ARE SO DEAD ON !!! NICE WORK

but the few hutch clamps i paid top dollar for 8 months ago wont bring more then $40 and the cages that little R can be polished right off ..

Keep in mind people like HEATH !!!

Im sorry but takin the actual hutch logo and repoping parts dead on is killing what so many consider there PASSION ( HUTCH )

just my 2cents

If he owns the rights to the Hutch name, wouldn't it be called re-issue?? I see it making the originals worth even more!!

#18 2008-04-30 3:25am

Ozone guy

Right on.. almost..

#19 2008-04-30 3:26am

oldmetal
Pro Member*Thread Killer-And Proud*
Bikes: 1

A big bike would be interesting, maybe resurrect the Trail Star but up the quality and make it more BMX-like (looptail but with option to put on a derailleur hanger like the old OM Flyers). Will the parts be manufactured in the USA?
A 26" (or 29"!) Trail Star with aerospeeds that accept triple chainrings (by this I mean using a standard spindle rather than bespoke) - I had to ask smile

I was also reading that Mongoose grips are going to be reproduced by another party, I hope they're softer than my old set (I had to wear gloves). If the Hutch products are good quality I'm sure they will sell well.

#20 2008-04-30 3:54am

japanbmx

yeah, will the parts be manufactured in the USA? id hate to see happen to Hutch what happened to SE! new bikes made in china - trying to ride an awesome established OS name but making bikes that are not the same quality as the OS...

Last edited by japanbmx (2008-04-30 3:58am)

#21 2008-04-30 4:00am

popedante
Intermediate
Bikes: 18

Great news , but please please please make the Judge frameset !

* i agree with Chuck , just make sure its slightly different than original

#22 2008-04-30 4:39am

John De Bruin
Museum Addict
Website

"yeah, will the parts be manufactured in the USA?"

The American-made tradition is extremely important and will do everything I can to uphold that tradition as much as possible, but I would never give a blanket guarantee that every single ingredient is slated to be made in USA. China is simply not a viable option for the vast majority of component parts relative to making parts for the Hutch brand.

One of the things that amazed me most when I got into the sport of vintage was realizing that Hutch was not this huge conglomerate, as I had thought it must be as a kid. It basically started out as a machine shop, small and slowly growing, all the while maintaining that basic machine-shop structure. I believe it was the primary reason why such high-quality was maintained, even through their later and rapid growth period. I definitely relate to those principles.

Last edited by John De Bruin (2008-04-30 4:56am)

#23 2008-04-30 5:04am

John De Bruin
Museum Addict
Website

popedante wrote:

Great news , but please please please make the Judge frameset !

* i agree with Chuck , just make sure its slightly different than original

There is no way I can differentiate parts so that it is impossible to modify for the  purpose of decieving. My objective is to provide a product that has at least 1 different feature that would keep 99.9% of the people honest.  There may always be that 1 person who will attempt to alter the part, irregardless of what those feature changes might be.

#24 2008-04-30 5:04am

Cruser King
Museum Addict
Bikes: 4

bring out the CRUISER im dying here for one

2 ride is to live, BMX 4 LIFE!

screw the gov't, RIDE A BIKE!

#25 2008-04-30 5:08am

stclair411
Museum Addict