Re: New Jersey BMX Track History

Bump...anyone else ?

#77 2013-02-03 7:43pm

SR71
Centurion Member
Bikes: 3

Sterlachini wrote:

Island Drag!!! I totally forgot about that track, Danny Deroche's dad used to run it, I remember really long straightaways there.

Don't forget about that super steep downhill off the gate at Island. I think Danny Deroche races motorcycles now- still local from what I understand. He had a Titan mini back then. The track at Wheelmasters Bike Shop in Belvidere (mid-80s) was cool, but it is now just a grassy knoll.

#78 2013-02-13 11:25am

liamsean1
Pro Member
For Sale: 2
Website

There was a track in belvidere for a short time next to the old mill mountain shop. It only functioned for a short time
Although there was a strong bmx presence in the area. We built our own track on the outskirts of town in the woods and
we kept up with it for a bunch of years.

#79 2013-02-14 6:44am

UpisDown
Pro MemberFYYFF
Bikes: 2

I raced at Howell for a while back in the day and used to get my parts from Bicycle World which was out front. I used to bug my Dad CONSTANTLY to take me there as a little kid and we would roll down Route 9 all the time. Great memories.

"I made it like that, I bought it like that, I'm livin' like that..." -Kool Keith-

#80 2016-04-06 3:13pm

six pack to go
Centurion Member
Bikes: 26

Cool thread!

Reliving my youth one pedal at a time.

#81 2016-04-06 6:16pm

K Chez
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

When I get some free time (yeah right!) I have a bunch of old photos from back in the 80's that I need to scan - Suntour East Coast Nationals at Vineland in 1980 and bunch of early Howell stuff.

I'm pretty sure my 1st race was 1979 @ Vineland. Raced Howell the 1st year it opened and several seasons after that. Also ran at Braddock, the original Egg Harbor, Waretown when it first opened up, Englishtown Raceway Park and the indoor place in Lakewood. The Toms River track was right where I grew up, but was out of the racing scene at that point.

I like to wear sneakers on my hands, because it's much better when you crash - and if you're wearing sneakers on your hands, you're gonna crash.

#82 2017-02-03 5:23pm

GNC Rick
Intermediate

Heard there was a possible old school reunion at Hunterdon County BMX in Flemington last spring. But never finalized. There is a Facebook page for this is BMX Reunion. Its a closed group but just leave a message.

#83 2017-03-07 9:10pm

jaym812
Pro Member

Guest wrote:

Thanks guest , yes thats the one missing. Are there any other tracks we missed?

Thats looks like all of them.
I might have some pics of the tracks in clayton and deptford I know I got some video mid 80s

I live in Westville  where was the track in deptford at

#84 2017-03-12 10:51am

Racer
Philly Cheese Steak
Bikes: 22

K Chez we went to all the same tracks at the same time. Would love to see your photos.
I know two pros raced for Breille Cyclery, I wondered back in the day how they got so fast.
then when doing this thread I realized they had a track before I got into bmx heavily that didnt last long.
The one Pro I just to know was Mark Flores, I think his buddy was Alan Plumline?
Just too many years ago.

#85 2017-03-12 11:23am

teachbmxcharlie
Pro Member

I was a Newbridge Rd (Bellmore, NY) kid, but raced on the regular Friday nights at Braddock, and any other big races there. I also raced Vineland and Egg harbor (when it was ABA). Always loved racing in Jersey, but nothing compares to the good times at The Armory, especially having to dump in the open toilets!

Board footer

View Cart →