#51 2010-06-24 12:14pm

Dollar Dave
Centurion Member
Bikes: 2

Re: New Jersey BMX Track History

Jamming69 wrote:

Kinesis wrote:

I remember a track in Teaneck (NJ)
I raced there a few times before going to Braddock(? sp)
I remember them using the back of the big berm as a jump,and this one guy getting crazy airs (mainly doing one footed tables)

been so long my memory is foggy tongue

Yes there was a Teaneck track in Votee Parke start/run by a Teaneck cop, I believe his name was Green? I think it was ABA?

Freddie Green,Teaneck Police Department.

Were I ran my 1st Pro Race June 1980. Got a 3rd that day. John Crews Factory Red Line from Northern California took 1st!

Magazine Cover Total BMX November 1981. South Park,Pittsburgh,Pa. NBL War of the Stars Pro Class.

#52 2010-06-24 12:20pm

Dollar Dave
Centurion Member

mtbnj wrote:

where was that track in Wayne? (Indoor Tennis courts)

I grew up there and I don't remember that one.  hmm

There was an Indoor Track in Wayne,NJ. (Rt 23 South) NBA Sanctioned ran by Mr Jeff Platt.
Ran in the Winter of 1980/81 on Friday Nights.

Magazine Cover Total BMX November 1981. South Park,Pittsburgh,Pa. NBL War of the Stars Pro Class.

#53 2010-07-20 12:18pm

quinonesm
For Sale Restricted
Bikes: 10

I raced at Braddock in the summer and JC Armory in the winter. BTW, JC was definitely ABA because I was never a member of the NBL bitd. Nice thread too. big_smile

U.S. Army Vet
It's pronounced Keen-YO-nez, but I'm fine with Q! smile

#54 2010-07-24 8:46pm

robc
Bikes: 5

Secaucaus reunion was great  to day got see some old friends and made some new ones. I wish more people could have come out.

#55 2010-09-17 5:19pm

joselaza66
Bikes: 6
Website

Brian P wrote:

tracks still open?.......

egg harbor
howell
flemington....

another one just opened i think in lumberton, and one is set to open in rockaway soon.

ahhhhhhh, braddock.... never raced there, but rode it in the early 90's before it got plowed

that is all 3 location wow  i want more another town .

#56 2010-09-17 8:43pm

ANTDOG
Pro MemberSite Advocate!
For Sale: 6

hey jose!!!!!

#57 2010-09-18 5:55pm

kastan36

ANTDOG wrote:

hey jose!!!!!

Yo antdog is the meet still on for the 26'th over at scottys place. I finished the KASTAN and want to bring it out.

They call me KID

#58 2010-09-18 6:06pm

Thrusterdreamer
Pro Member

Wow cool thread.I live next to Waretown and mins from Toms River and 30 mins from Howell.
I never heard of a track around here other then Howell.
Anybody know where about the Waretown track was?

Love my THRUSTER Tri Powers!!

#59 2010-09-19 3:43am

ANTDOG
Pro MemberSite Advocate!

it's on bro

#60 2010-09-20 2:20pm

kastan36

hawtness

They call me KID

#61 2010-12-19 3:06pm

Racer
Pro MemberPhilly Cheese Steak
Bikes: 22

Yeah the Waretown track was on Route 9 behind a tiny lil shopping center. From Google Maps the land it was on is still vacant ready fro a new track. The shopping center had a bike shop.
I link to it at a thread on Vintage BMX about Ghost town tracks. http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/ind … c=27032037

Updated the track list today adding the information provided thru your guys help.

DO any of you have WWBMXA Newsletters or Newspapers? If so PM me.

Last edited by Racer (2010-12-19 3:14pm)

#62 2010-12-22 6:14pm

Dollar Dave
Centurion Member

I live close to Rockaway. I have NOT HEARD OF A TRACK OPENING????????

joselaza66 wrote:

Brian P wrote:

tracks still open?.......

egg harbor
howell
flemington....

another one just opened i think in lumberton, and one is set to open in rockaway soon.

ahhhhhhh, braddock.... never raced there, but rode it in the early 90's before it got plowed

that is all 3 location wow  i want more another town .

#63 2011-01-07 4:21pm

malibu jim
"Jimmy!"

wow ! i saw the last of the waretown track when i was 9, it looked bad and was really not rideable.  so i raced in eggharbor. i was wishing the track was good when i was a kid because that was my home town.

[img]http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv10/malibu-jim/bikes/bikeatlighthouse018-1.jpg[/img]

Looking for 1990-1992 2O Inch GHP frame & forks

#64 2011-03-25 1:23pm

Sterlachini
Museum Newbie

hi guys, used to race from 82-91 in NJ/PA then raced a bit from 95-98. 2 tracks I remember not on that list were Long Branch (I think that's the one some of you remember real close to the beach) and there was a short lived track in Belvidere NJ which had an over and under.

I started at Pete's and raced there and Louise Moore in PA, both non sanctioned, and raced at Hunterdon and raced at the track by the YMCA in Flemington as well. Of course all the others such as Howell, Egg Harbor, Vineland, Braddock..etc. great memories!

#65 2011-03-28 4:57pm

G.
Pro Member
Bikes: 48
For Sale: 5
Website

Sterlachini wrote:

hi guys, used to race from 82-91 in NJ/PA then raced a bit from 95-98. 2 tracks I remember not on that list were Long Branch (I think that's the one some of you remember real close to the beach) and there was a short lived track in Belvidere NJ which had an over and under.

I started at Pete's and raced there and Louise Moore in PA, both non sanctioned, and raced at Hunterdon and raced at the track by the YMCA in Flemington as well. Of course all the others such as Howell, Egg Harbor, Vineland, Braddock..etc. great memories!

That's it....Long Branch! I couldn't remember where it was, but that's the one that was right by the beach, thanks!

As soon as I get my scanner working I'll post a bunch of photos I borrowed from the Cross family from Hunterdon and Howell and Delaware from 85-88
Here's some footage from the 88 NJ State Championships

http://m.youtube.com/watch?desktop_uri= … &gl=US

LOOKING FOR :
Mid to Late 90's Race stuff  20 & 24"
Standard Bykes Race parts & f/f
Profile Racing chain tensioners in DK Gold (mid school ones)

RAW DEAL TEES

#66 2011-03-30 3:14pm

G.
Pro Member
Bikes: 48
For Sale: 5
Website

Go figure I started looking through stuff and found this in the 84 CJ-BMX War of the Stars program

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n508/GtP_/IMG_2795.jpg

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n508/GtP_/IMG_2796.jpg

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n508/GtP_/IMG_2780.jpg

I posted some other pages from it here   http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=313101

LOOKING FOR :
Mid to Late 90's Race stuff  20 & 24"
Standard Bykes Race parts & f/f
Profile Racing chain tensioners in DK Gold (mid school ones)

RAW DEAL TEES

#67 2011-09-08 12:23pm

Sterlachini
Museum Newbie

Island Drag!!! I totally forgot about that track, Danny Deroche's dad used to run it, I remember really long straightaways there.

#68 2011-09-10 9:54pm

Racer
Pro MemberPhilly Cheese Steak
Bikes: 22

I raced Petes in 79-80 and it was NBL when did it go non sanctioned?
I saw the Flemington YMCA around 89 but it was closed by then and grown over.
Nice info guys, thanks for posting info maybe some old school race pictures will start showing up here as well from NJ.

#69 2011-11-19 3:44pm

DaveLieb
Museum Newbie

robc wrote:

Was ther ever a track in South Orange NJ I lived in that area for years and herd there was one I use to go to cheepskates right before the close down they had a lot of cool stuff there

Hi Rob. I grew up in South Orange, and yes, there was a track there in the back of Waterlands Park in the early to mid 80s. I raced there a few times but usually went there just to do jumps. Waterlands Park was off Third St. next to the RR tracks. You could see the BMX area from the PathMark supermarket parking lot on the other side of the RR. 

By the end of the 80s it was a shadow of it's former self, all overgrown and not too much evidence that anything resembling a BMX track ever existed there.

The remains of the old "Big W" jump was still intact in 2000, and I have a pic of me jumping it somewhere around here.... A year or two later it was gone as well. I learned to jump there at the "W", in the late 70s before there was ever a track.

Insteresting to note that this track was never sanctioned by the ABA or NBL, it was privately run by the town. This was probably a contributing factor to it's demise...no one to look after it, and also there were many bikes stolen there. It was not visible from the sreet or park, and the supermarket was still too far away. Sad, I miss that track to this day!

My friends and I had built our own little track in a small wooded area (which we soon learned was part of someones property!) near my house on Irving Ave. (near Charlton Ave.).
We obviously found out we couldn't ride there anymore but within a few weeks the local track opened. Later that year, the neighbor who owned that property moved and the new owners had kids who rode!! We kinda had our own private track for a while.

Does anyone remember the dirt jumps at Cameron Field? I ruled those for a few years. lol smile

#70 2011-12-16 8:19am

Sterlachini
Museum Newbie

@ Racer, I started at Pete's in the fall of 82 and it was non-sanctioned then. I have a few pics from Pete's.

#71 2011-12-16 3:21pm

robc
Bikes: 5

DaveLieb wrote:

robc wrote:

Was ther ever a track in South Orange NJ I lived in that area for years and herd there was one I use to go to cheepskates right before the close down they had a lot of cool stuff there

Hi Rob. I grew up in South Orange, and yes, there was a track there in the back of Waterlands Park in the early to mid 80s. I raced there a few times but usually went there just to do jumps. Waterlands Park was off Third St. next to the RR tracks. You could see the BMX area from the PathMark supermarket parking lot on the other side of the RR. 

By the end of the 80s it was a shadow of it's former self, all overgrown and not too much evidence that anything resembling a BMX track ever existed there.

The remains of the old "Big W" jump was still intact in 2000, and I have a pic of me jumping it somewhere around here.... A year or two later it was gone as well. I learned to jump there at the "W", in the late 70s before there was ever a track.

Insteresting to note that this track was never sanctioned by the ABA or NBL, it was privately run by the town. This was probably a contributing factor to it's demise...no one to look after it, and also there were many bikes stolen there. It was not visible from the sreet or park, and the supermarket was still too far away. Sad, I miss that track to this day!

My friends and I had built our own little track in a small wooded area (which we soon learned was part of someones property!) near my house on Irving Ave. (near Charlton Ave.).
We obviously found out we couldn't ride there anymore but within a few weeks the local track opened. Later that year, the neighbor who owned that property moved and the new owners had kids who rode!! We kinda had our own private track for a while.

Does anyone remember the dirt jumps at Cameron Field? I ruled those for a few years. lol smile

Hey Dave thanks for the info i always herd about this track you should post the pics that would be cool to see

#72 2012-01-16 8:13am

EHill
Museum Newbie

Great post, I raced at most of these tracks in the 80's....My father owned The Cycling Center in Wildwood,NJ...

#73 2012-01-16 8:29am

spankdigga
Banned
Bikes: 7

18. Pequannock , NJ - NBA

This is the only track I ever raced at.

#74 2012-01-16 8:33am

EHill
Museum Newbie

I remember Clay's practice track..Warren Muller took me there a few times.. Warren used to work for my father at the shop and also raced on our team...

#75 2012-01-16 12:18pm

GNC Rick
Intermediate

#3 Howell, #15 & 16 in Flemington were the main tracks I raced at. My parents now live in Flemington & I usually go up there once or twice a year...great, great, memories    cool

Board footer

View Cart →