Laid back seat posts. Whats the issue.  RSS Feed

#101 2013-06-05 4:03pm

aaronl
Expert

Re: Laid back seat posts. Whats the issue.

A layback post will not change the bikes geometry.  If you like to sit down and pedal to do wheelies, a layback will make it easier.  Manuals or whatever they were called back then came around in the 80's, standing on the pedals and coasting wheelies.

#102 2013-06-05 4:07pm

aaronl
Expert

I have a layback in my avatar photo.  I think we nearly all had them during the late 80's, some looked great with just the right bend and shape, sst or gt/robinson ones spring to mind.

freestyle you sort of had to have them to be able to spin the bars around, during that era the seat was high to be able to do some flatland tricks holdin gthe seat nose and bars togehter, sone of the gliding foward rolling tricks etc.  forgot the names.

#103 2013-06-05 4:08pm

Kurt_Rad
Pro MemberF.U.B.A.R.
Bikes: 12
For Sale

I'm pretty laid back

Please just give me one second...I am in the middle of railroading your thread

[img]http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc442/kurt_rad/Kurt_Rad_zpsee2ad0eb.png[/img]

#104 2013-06-05 4:19pm

itsdug
Pro MemberMike Hunt
For Sale
Website

I'M NOT

DG*Red Line*Jag*Mongoose*SE*Patterson*We The People*CW

BMX IS SERIOUS BUSINESS!

I gave at the office ©®

#105 2013-06-05 4:21pm

Kurt_Rad
Pro MemberF.U.B.A.R.
For Sale

Why are you yelling?

[img]http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc442/kurt_rad/Kurt_Rad_zpsee2ad0eb.png[/img]

#106 2013-06-05 4:28pm

endo
Expert
Bikes: 1

This thread is the first time in my life I've ever heard of someone referencing the handling change of seat position in a BMX bike. If it were a road or mountain bike where you spend large amounts of time sitting, I could understand, but who is actually sitting on a 20 inch bike long enough that it effects handling?? Who is racing a BMX bike while sitting on the seat? If you look at the new school trends of slammed seat posts, which have also made their way into racing, you can see that the seat is almost completely irrelevant and could be completely removed...so what part of seating position matters except for sitting down and cruising?

Anyway, I grew up with them, because it seemed like BITD nobody made a top tube long enough for me to be able to sit down and not hit my knees. I didn't have an option to "buy a cruiser", it was just what we had and we never even thought of questioning it because it worked. I remember back when I first retired my Schwinn Predator, it was mostly because the frame was too short and even with a laid back post it was too short. I moved on to a Performer with a laid back and never went back to a straight post until I got my Fit cruiser, which has something like a 21 inch top tube and enough seat tube angle that it's plenty roomy. I guess if you have the right frame it wouldn't matter, but for the longest time nobody made a frame with the right geometry for us 6 foot tall guys.

#107 2013-06-05 4:30pm

endo
Expert
Bikes: 1

Here's a thought...before there were laid back posts, there were banana seats, which effectively did the exact same thing...they moved the seating position back. When banana seats went out of style, the size/shape of frames didn't really change very much to compensate, and so laid back posts essentially do what banana seats did for seating position.

#108 2013-06-05 4:57pm

Kurt_Rad
Pro MemberF.U.B.A.R.
For Sale

Get out of here with your logic...

#109 2013-06-05 4:57pm

Oaktown Massive
Pro Member
Bikes: 2
For Sale
Website

ELF_24 wrote:

And  just my opinion, I would never run one on an aluminum frame. Too easy to crack the seat post mast.

I think if one weighs anything close to 200 lbs, I would have to agree with you.  Depends on riding style.  I personally am not too concerned; no where close to 200, and I don't sit much while my bike is moving - even coasting, I'm usually up with one knee on my stempad.  Besides, do you know how hard it is to find a 13/16" layback?  It's practically a piece of jewelery for my ride big_smile

1 9 7 7   R a c e  I n c.   R A - 7                         1 9 7 9   R e d  L i n e   M X - I I

#110 2013-06-05 4:59pm

Kurt_Rad
Pro MemberF.U.B.A.R.
For Sale

That's it! I'm going to throw a braced lay back on my bike and ride it. I'll report back later.

#111 2013-06-05 5:24pm

ELF_24
Pro Member
Bikes: 45
For Sale

endo wrote:

This thread is the first time in my life I've ever heard of someone referencing the handling change of seat position in a BMX bike. If it were a road or mountain bike where you spend large amounts of time sitting, I could understand, but who is actually sitting on a 20 inch bike long enough that it effects handling?? Who is racing a BMX bike while sitting on the seat? If you look at the new school trends of slammed seat posts, which have also made their way into racing, you can see that the seat is almost completely irrelevant and could be completely removed...so what part of seating position matters except for sitting down and cruising?

Anyway, I grew up with them, because it seemed like BITD nobody made a top tube long enough for me to be able to sit down and not hit my knees. I didn't have an option to "buy a cruiser", it was just what we had and we never even thought of questioning it because it worked. I remember back when I first retired my Schwinn Predator, it was mostly because the frame was too short and even with a laid back post it was too short. I moved on to a Performer with a laid back and never went back to a straight post until I got my Fit cruiser, which has something like a 21 inch top tube and enough seat tube angle that it's plenty roomy. I guess if you have the right frame it wouldn't matter, but for the longest time nobody made a frame with the right geometry for us 6 foot tall guys.

You are probably 30 or younger. When I was racing, we had downhill tracks, by mid track you no longer could pedal. As you where rolling too fast. I raced from around 76 thru 84. By the 80's, downhill tracks where gone. But, for conversation  sake, that was what I meant, regarding sitting down, and racing. All you young whipper snappers, have these safe, flat tracks,  and you dont see the speed we old times did BITD.........

Bmx was pure fun BITD, I think nowadays, some folks have forgotten what its really all about. And what it truly is.........

#112 2013-06-05 5:28pm

itsdug
Pro MemberMike Hunt
For Sale
Website

This is getting good.

BMX IS SERIOUS BUSINESS!

I gave at the office ©®

#113 2013-06-05 5:31pm

aaronl
Expert

could it get any more backwards?

#114 2013-06-05 6:09pm

ridgeline
Pro Member
For Sale

I see kids riding to school in the morning with 50lb. backpacks on their backs and their seats slammed and just laugh as they switch resting between legs as they pedal.  They look miserable.  Not that it has anything to do with race handling, this thread just made me think of it. 

There isn't one right answer.  It all depends on purpose and use of the rider, and the size and shape of the bike.  Add all that up and you do what works for you.  I have a laid back post on a newschool bike with a 20.5 tt because I am tall and have gorilla arms.  I am 205lbs. and my seat mast is the last thing I am worried about breaking. I raise and lower that post depending on what I am doing with the bike.   When some people get on my bike they look like midgets, when I get on their bike I look like a giant...that's why it's my bike.  I have two kids in my bike program who NEED a laid back post, but don't want them because it's not cool.  Then I show them up at 40 yrs old and they stop laughing.  Then we just ride...

For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person--though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die-- but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Rom 5:6-8)

#115 2013-06-05 6:31pm

ridgeline
Pro Member
For Sale

This oughtta stop this madness...

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o731/RidgelineAlaska/100_6299_copy0_blowup_zps19262be2.jpg

Now let's ride...

For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person--though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die-- but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

#116 2013-06-05 6:35pm

itsdug
Pro MemberMike Hunt
For Sale
Website

ridgeline wrote:

I see kids riding to school in the morning with 50lb. backpacks on their backs and their seats slammed and just laugh as they switch resting between legs as they pedal.  They look miserable.  Not that it has anything to do with race handling, this thread just made me think of it.

Most doctors and physical therapists recommend that kids carry no more than 10% to 15% of their body weight in their packs.

BMX IS SERIOUS BUSINESS!

I gave at the office ©®

#117 2013-06-05 6:43pm

alainmagana
Pro MemberIn Wonderland
Bikes: 11
For Sale

itsdug wrote:

ridgeline wrote:

Most doctors and physical therapists recommend that kids carry no more than 10% to 15% of their body weight in their packs.

Have you seen some of these kids hmm looks like they can add some to reach that 10% to 15% lol
Dave you need a CW brace post wink
Always used them and will keep you using them tongue

Knowing is half the battle, GO JOE!
44T BMX CHICAGO CLUB RIDER
Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesireables and the Subjugation of Humanity
WTB: SuperBmx Febury 1984

#118 2013-06-05 6:46pm

ridgeline
Pro Member
For Sale

I was guestimating the weight.  They just look miserable, and with a full pack and a slammed seat with a built in angle that only a mother could love, there's no where to run.

#119 2013-06-05 6:46pm

markmc97225
Pro Member
Bikes: 5
For Sale

I had a lay forward post once. Super rare. Worth a lot of money if you can find them.

Whenever someone says, "I'm not book smart, but I'm street smart," all I hear is, "I'm not real smart, but I'm imaginary smart."

#120 2013-06-05 6:47pm

ridgeline
Pro Member
For Sale

Consult your doctor to see if a laid back seatpost is right for you...lol

#121 2013-06-05 6:49pm

aaronl
Expert

I ran a lay forward with the stem facing backwards/bars forward, folks wouldn't buy me a bike that fit bitd.  Was tight!

I had to grow into it.

#122 2013-06-05 6:59pm

JS-44SDS
Pro MemberProfile Ultimate Pro
Bikes: 4
For Sale

ELF_24 wrote:

JS-44SDS wrote:

ELF_24 wrote:

They change the handling drastically, move the center of gravity too far to the rear. I hate them myself. If your bike is too small, buy a cruiser...

Because you pedal the hardest while sitting down?  If you use one from day 1 you wouldn't know the difference.

COOL BRO, ITS GOOD YOU GOT YOUR OWN OPINION. Just like I do. Which does not concur with your thoughts. 
Thats why we are discussing the subject, to hear different opinions. Your thoughts are as important as mine.
Then, we let them make a decision.

I am cool and not your bro. smile  Read your own response-Isn't that what we are doing-statement and response-thus discussing.  smile

MADE in the USA-still number 1

Would like a PRO FIT Stem and PROFILE Freestyle bars that look like BUFF bars.  Also want to buy an early bar-less PROFILE frame-without the crossbar.

The FINIDIOT-Rob Ford is my hero.

#123 2013-06-05 7:01pm

JS-44SDS
Pro MemberProfile Ultimate Pro
Bikes: 4
For Sale

ridgeline wrote:

This oughtta stop this madness...

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o73 … 262be2.jpg

Now let's ride...

I would be confused as to whether I would ride wheelies too much or go over the handlebars-it's a coin flip.

MADE in the USA-still number 1

Would like a PRO FIT Stem and PROFILE Freestyle bars that look like BUFF bars.  Also want to buy an early bar-less PROFILE frame-without the crossbar.

The FINIDIOT-Rob Ford is my hero.

#124 2013-06-05 7:59pm

SharkBite
Expert
Bikes: 6

if I turn my lay back post around will it make me endo? tongue

I like a lay back because I also like wide bars but I don't like getting those wide bars in the balls when doing Lady bar spins

2 eyes from the East. He's the angel or the beast. But the answer lies between all good and bad.

#125 2013-06-05 8:34pm

ELF_24
Pro Member
Bikes: 45
For Sale

ridgeline wrote:

There isn't one right answer.  It all depends on purpose and use of the rider, and the size and shape of the bike.  Add all that up and you do what works for you.  I have a laid back post on a newschool bike with a 20.5 tt because I am tall and have gorilla arms.  I am 205lbs. and my seat mast is the last thing I am worried about breaking. I raise and lower that post depending on what I am doing with the bike.   When some people get on my bike they look like midgets, when I get on their bike I look like a giant...that's why it's my bike.  I have two kids in my bike program who NEED a laid back post, but don't want them because it's not cool.  Then I show them up at 40 yrs old and they stop laughing.  Then we just ride...

I think you nailed it with there is not just one answer. That's what I have been saying for 5 pages. Everyone is so black and white about what is right or wrong. Nobody is wrong, says it all...

Bmx was pure fun BITD, I think nowadays, some folks have forgotten what its really all about. And what it truly is.........

Board footer