You are not logged in.

1987 GT Performer  RSS Feed

#1 2013-02-18 11:32pm

Jpbmx74
Museum Newbie
Bikes: 1

1987 GT Performer

http://bmxmuseum.com/image/img_1028_copy5.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/img_1029_copy3.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/img_1030_copy2.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/p2091116.jpg

1987 GT Performer

The kind of bike I always wanted when growing up in the UK in the mid -80s.  No-one I knew had anything like this and most of my friends rode Raleigh Burners.  I made do with a Halfords Turbo.

After years away from the hobby I was recently pulled back in after happening across an old school shop here in Tokyo.  Last year i bought Acs's fantastic Anlun build
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/anlun/50646#.USMe6aV3u9Y

I decided it was time to start a project of my own.  Parts and frames etc here in Japan are hard to find and very expensive.  Finally I found this GT survivor on ebay at a decent price - all parts seem like they are the originals and everything is in pretty good condition.  I am going to clean her up as good as I can and rebuild - then I will have a think about maybe stripping her back down and making some changes.  It's the first time in 20+ years that I've undertaken anything like this so progress will be slow...
Well - all finished this summer.  Wanted it to be a survivor so kept as much original as possible.  New tyres, grips and chain.  The gyro had broken so I have slightly changed the brake set up. Very happy with the final result.

http://bmxmuseum.com/img/view-bike-in-museum.gif

Just drop everything you are doing and go listen to Neil Young 'On The Beach'.  Quick.  Now.

#2 2013-02-19 10:21am

shred
Pro Member

Re: 1987 GT Performer

Looks like a good project.  cool

#3 2013-02-19 12:13pm

Uric37
Pro Member
Bikes: 45

That is a nice setup - the 'GT Blue' is one of their nicest colors from that era.

I lived in England for a year and a half in '82 and '83 and always wanted a BMX bike.  A couple kids had them, but they were very unusual and expensive.  I begged my parents to get me one, but they always said I would have to wait until we moved back to America.

#4 2013-02-19 7:04pm

Jpbmx74
Museum Newbie

Shred - Thanks.  Looking forward to getting stuck in.  Going to start trying to take some of the rust off today.

Uric37 - I am hoping that she cleans up well as I don't want to change the colour if possible.  Would like to make as few changes as possible.  At the moment just thinking grips and tires.  Any American bikes were really rare where I lived - most everyone rode Raleigh Burners, my Halfords Turbo was even cheaper!  I had one friend who had a Diamond Back Viper.  That was it.

Just drop everything you are doing and go listen to Neil Young 'On The Beach'.  Quick.  Now.

#5 2013-02-21 8:48am

freestyle4me
Museum Addict
Bikes: 17

That will be a fun one to roll around on in Tokyo.  It will be cool to have a nice GT in the land of Kuwaharas.  I hear you on the rare and expensive.  My wife was in Nagasaki for school recently.  I told her to bring back a Kuwi for me.  She only saw one freestyle bike.  Rusting away in a grass lot.  By the time we figured it out, it disappeared.  Kuwahara Exhibitionist!  Next time I guess.  I'd love to see and hear more about your BMX scene (start a thread please!) and restoration in Japan.tongue

Cool, a new bike.  Wait a minute.......where am I going to hide this one.  She's going to catch me...

Wanted: 90 Holmes f/f decals, Odyssey parts in vapor blue

#6 2013-03-23 6:05pm

Jpbmx74
Museum Newbie

freestyle4me wrote:

That will be a fun one to roll around on in Tokyo.  It will be cool to have a nice GT in the land of Kuwaharas.  I hear you on the rare and expensive.  My wife was in Nagasaki for school recently.  I told her to bring back a Kuwi for me.  She only saw one freestyle bike.  Rusting away in a grass lot.  By the time we figured it out, it disappeared.  Kuwahara Exhibitionist!  Next time I guess.  I'd love to see and hear more about your BMX scene (start a thread please!) and restoration in Japan.tongue

hey freestyle4me

aiming to get it cleaned up and rebuilt in time for the warm weather's arrival.  I'm off to a swap meet soon - I'll let you know how it goes.  I'm not expecting hings to be affordable - but you never know!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4aGED_3MB8A/U … X+JPEG.jpg

#7 2013-08-16 3:00pm

MickRich393
Pro Member
Bikes: 7
For Sale: 3

How's the build going? & whereabouts in Tokyo are you? I'm about 20 mins from Shibuya by train but have made the occasional trip into town on my Haro!

freestyle4me wrote:

Hey freestyle4me, I think you might like the link below!

#8 2013-10-25 8:01pm

Jpbmx74
Museum Newbie

MickRich393 wrote:

How's the build going? & whereabouts in Tokyo are you? I'm about 20 mins from Shibuya by train but have made the occasional trip into town on my Haro!

freestyle4me wrote:

Hey freestyle4me, I think you might like the link below!

Finished it a few months ago - will post some new pics (hopefully today)

#9 2013-10-29 4:30pm

MickRich393
Pro Member
Bikes: 7
For Sale: 3

Looking good!

Board footer

View Cart →