You are not logged in.

Beating the Hutch  RSS Feed

#1 2013-01-31 11:51pm

Crashman
BMXer 4 Life
From: Mount Pleasant, MI
Registered: 2012-04-22
Posts: 4218
Bikes: 2

Beating the Hutch

So I've finally got a chance to do some dirt jumping and aerials on a US-made1983 Hutch Pro Racer frame. Closest thing I ever owned, metal-wise, was a 1980 RRS. The RRS held up fine 60 pounds ago, so, what's the limit on these old racing frames?


Wanted: Inexpensive lot of cheap 7/8" bars for grandkid's bikes. I will paint as needed.

Offline

 

#2 2013-02-01 12:55am

troynlori
Pro Member"Pedal Peddler"
From: Virginia Beach, VA
Registered: 2009-11-22
Posts: 11021
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 92

Re: Beating the Hutch

I can tell you that it is not 235#.  Twice I bent the rear drop outs on our 1983 Hutch Pro Racer frame, before I decided to restrict myself from using it.  It's all midschool for me now...


Hutch Fun Facts: All main line Hutch's with digits only S/N (no letters or baseballs) on the rear drop outs were US made and had their dropouts stamped between late '83 and '86.  Obviously the frame manufacture would occur slightly after that, even if they just threw 'em in a bucket randomly.  There is an obvious date code in that the first 2 digits seem to be the month and the 3rd digit is pretty obviously the last digit of the year running from '83-'86.

Offline

 

#3 2013-02-01 7:50am

MrOlive
Expert
From: Boulder, CO
Registered: 2011-01-30
Posts: 959
Bikes: 34
Website

Re: Beating the Hutch

I weigh the same as Jr. High, lol 165, I ride em all over, it rules, feels the same like when I was a kid smile


I got lots of stuff, what you need? lol

Offline

 

#4 2013-02-01 8:42am

unkleyoda
Jedi
From: Here to there
Registered: 2010-12-07
Posts: 2354
Bikes: 9
Website

Re: Beating the Hutch

MrOlive wrote:

I weigh the same as Jr. High, lol 165, I ride em all over, it rules, feels the same like when I was a kid smile

That $hit will change once you hit puberty.  tongue


Wanted: Black/White pinstriped California Lite pad (only need frame pad)
               Schwinn white coaster brake mags (Redstone)

Offline

 

#5 2013-02-01 8:48am

RoadRunner
Museum Addict
From: Texas
Registered: 2007-08-13
Posts: 1680
Bikes: 3

Re: Beating the Hutch

unkleyoda wrote:

MrOlive wrote:

I weigh the same as Jr. High, lol 165, I ride em all over, it rules, feels the same like when I was a kid smile

That $hit will change once you hit puberty.  tongue

lol

Offline

 

#6 2013-02-01 9:22am

Crashman
BMXer 4 Life
From: Mount Pleasant, MI
Registered: 2012-04-22
Posts: 4218
Bikes: 2

Re: Beating the Hutch

troynlori wrote:

I can tell you that it is not 235#.  Twice I bent the rear drop outs on our 1983 Hutch Pro Racer frame, before I decided to restrict myself from using it.  It's all midschool for me now...

So what you're saying is that I should hold out for a Judge?


Wanted: Inexpensive lot of cheap 7/8" bars for grandkid's bikes. I will paint as needed.

Offline

 

#7 2013-02-01 9:25am

Crashman
BMXer 4 Life
From: Mount Pleasant, MI
Registered: 2012-04-22
Posts: 4218
Bikes: 2

Re: Beating the Hutch

MrOlive wrote:

I weigh the same as Jr. High, lol 165, I ride em all over, it rules, feels the same like when I was a kid smile

I've gained two inches in height and an inch across the shoulders sing Jr High! Pity the man who didn't.


Wanted: Inexpensive lot of cheap 7/8" bars for grandkid's bikes. I will paint as needed.

Offline

 

#8 2013-02-01 9:52am

troynlori
Pro Member"Pedal Peddler"
From: Virginia Beach, VA
Registered: 2009-11-22
Posts: 11021
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 92

Re: Beating the Hutch

Crashman wrote:

troynlori wrote:

I can tell you that it is not 235#.  Twice I bent the rear drop outs on our 1983 Hutch Pro Racer frame, before I decided to restrict myself from using it.  It's all midschool for me now...

So what you're saying is that I should hold out for a Judge?

If you are 235#.  Yes.


Hutch Fun Facts: All main line Hutch's with digits only S/N (no letters or baseballs) on the rear drop outs were US made and had their dropouts stamped between late '83 and '86.  Obviously the frame manufacture would occur slightly after that, even if they just threw 'em in a bucket randomly.  There is an obvious date code in that the first 2 digits seem to be the month and the 3rd digit is pretty obviously the last digit of the year running from '83-'86.

Offline

 

#9 2013-02-01 12:20pm

Erikv
Pro Member
From: Long Island, NY
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 3267
Bikes: 8
For Sale: 12

Re: Beating the Hutch

I'm 230lbs and I'm scared to ride my 84 PL20.
Feels flimsy compared to my S&M BlackBike

Offline

 

#10 2013-02-01 12:48pm

Haro-83
Pro MemberTEXAS HILLBILLY
From: East Texas
Registered: 2009-10-05
Posts: 11282
Bikes: 53

Re: Beating the Hutch

I don't think its good idea to beat a old race frame up, I had a preserial# 1982 pro racer frame damaged the bottom head tube from bearing cups pressed all way into head tube cause bottom split from landing too hard the fork broke off, the guy was weigh around 240 pound same as me. 


http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z344/moparidiot02/museum%20refrence%20pictures%20not%20for%20to%20be%20delete/013_zps563d6d16.jpg
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z344/moparidiot02/museum%20refrence%20pictures%20not%20for%20to%20be%20delete/016_zps62b3027d.jpg
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z344/moparidiot02/museum%20refrence%20pictures%20not%20for%20to%20be%20delete/015_zpsd1c52839.jpg

And sightly bent rear dropout plate when put rear wheel its off not fit in right.
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z344/moparidiot02/museum%20refrence%20pictures%20not%20for%20to%20be%20delete/017_zpsfb6f0e71.jpg

Last edited by Haro-83 (2013-02-01 12:48pm)


Build it, Ride it and Break it. That what it was made for.

Offline

 

#11 2013-02-01 2:02pm

Crashman
BMXer 4 Life
From: Mount Pleasant, MI
Registered: 2012-04-22
Posts: 4218
Bikes: 2

Re: Beating the Hutch

Haro-83 wrote:

I don't think its good idea to beat a old race frame up, I had a preserial# 1982 pro racer frame damaged the bottom head tube from bearing cups pressed all way into head tube cause bottom split from landing too hard the fork broke off, the guy was weigh around 240 pound same as me.

That's awful...and maybe great if you send me the broken forks. I can have them fixed up as a wall trophy smile


Wanted: Inexpensive lot of cheap 7/8" bars for grandkid's bikes. I will paint as needed.

Offline

 

#12 2013-02-01 2:20pm

XJguy
Museum Addict
From: Strong Island, NY
Registered: 2012-06-10
Posts: 3772
Bikes: 2
Website

Re: Beating the Hutch

Im no expert but I would put a limit at 200lbs maybe less.    Cruising you'll be fine, really beating on it...taking a chance.  Back in the day the most muscular riders weighed probably 180 tops.


WTB Bully stem.
WTB Peregrine Super Pros, not pitted.
WTB Kuwahara freestyle stem engraved.

Offline

 

Board footer

View Cart →