to repack or not to repack?  RSS Feed

#1 2012-12-17 11:15pm

Axel10
Pro MemberBMX Archeologist
From: Calgary, Canada
Registered: 2011-03-25
Posts: 5415
Bikes: 12
For Sale

to repack or not to repack?

Hey guys.
I recently acquired some Suzue loose ball hubs that I will building up shortly.
The spin like new - super smooth.
I have every reason to believe that the grease is original (hubs stamped 3I and 3G).

Would you leave them as is, or repack them with new grease?
The plan is to install them on my retro GHP cruiser, which I intend on riding heavily cool

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb372/JuntaPunk/GHP%2024/file-1.jpg

Last edited by Axel10 (2012-12-17 11:16pm)


Boycott 'Soda Stream'

Offline

 

#2 2012-12-17 11:19pm

its-all-good
AdminAdministrator
From: Portland Oregon
Registered: 2007-02-14
Posts: 15443
Bikes: 77
For Sale
Website

Re: to repack or not to repack?

New grease. That is 30ish year old grease.


Axel10 wrote: "this whole place is rigged"

Offline

 

#3 2012-12-17 11:20pm

Axel10
Pro MemberBMX Archeologist
From: Calgary, Canada
Registered: 2011-03-25
Posts: 5415
Bikes: 12
For Sale

Re: to repack or not to repack?

its-all-good wrote:

New grease. That is 30ish year old grease.

I'm thinking the same thing smile


Boycott 'Soda Stream'

Offline

 

#4 2012-12-18 12:24am

RL20II
ModeratorNatural Born Chiller
From: Australia
Registered: 2006-11-24
Posts: 4218
Bikes: 12
For Sale

Re: to repack or not to repack?

Yahhh re-pack the suckers with some nice new grease and they'll spin even betterer! just make sure to lock the cones up correctly and you should be set smile....btw those hubs look awesome!!!


GROW THE HELL UP FOR CHRISTS SAKE!! WE ARE GROWN MEN PLAYING WITH KIDS BIKES NOT KIDS PLAYING AT BEING GROWN MEN.
****What's normal for the Spider is Chaos for the Fly****

Offline

 

#5 2012-12-18 1:51pm

Oaktown Massive
Pro Member
From: 510 to 323, CA
Registered: 2010-04-18
Posts: 1857
Bikes: 2
For Sale
Website

Re: to repack or not to repack?

grease is cheap - the alternative is not


1 9 7 7   R a c e  I n c.   R A - 7                         1 9 7 9   R e d  L i n e   M X - I I

Offline

 

#6 2012-12-18 2:07pm

Kurt_Rad
Pro MemberF.U.B.A.R.
From: Canmore, Alberta Canada
Registered: 2011-01-10
Posts: 16442
Bikes: 12
For Sale

Re: to repack or not to repack?

Oaktown Massive wrote:

grease is cheap - the alternative is not

^^What this guy said^^


Please just give me one second...I am in the middle of railroading your thread

[img]http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc442/kurt_rad/Kurt_Rad_zpsee2ad0eb.png[/img]

Offline

 

#7 2012-12-18 2:08pm

TXBONE
Pro MemberTWENTYFOUR7EVEN
From: WESTSIDE
Registered: 2011-11-15
Posts: 6801
Bikes: 27
For Sale

Re: to repack or not to repack?

I always repack. lol ready for another?


I can not sit still. I have been tested for A.D.D. and A.D.H.D. and have neither. I don't need coffee, I just need a B.M.X. or surfboard to consistently ride and I'll be happy. smile
INSTAGRAM: @sean_colburn          CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE VIDEOS. SEARCH: 27TXBONE

[img]http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee447/SEA_ELECTRIC/Internet%20bs%20images/815a8d608e0c528b08240357ddbcb522_zpsdedf4245.jpg[/img]

Offline

 

#8 2012-12-18 3:07pm

Axel10
Pro MemberBMX Archeologist
From: Calgary, Canada
Registered: 2011-03-25
Posts: 5415
Bikes: 12
For Sale

Re: to repack or not to repack?

Thanks guys! Guess what I'm doing over the holidays? tongue
Will be using Park Tools PolyLube 1000.

Question: I am always generous when greasing caged bearings on a headset. When doing loose ball hubs does the same logic apply?


Boycott 'Soda Stream'

Offline

 

#9 2012-12-18 3:15pm

BritUS
Pro Member
From: Maine
Registered: 2011-04-18
Posts: 1021
For Sale

Re: to repack or not to repack?

New grease...things can get tight and noisy leading to pain if you dont lube up with fresh grease every time....neutral


The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline

 

#10 2012-12-18 3:38pm

troynlori
Pro Member"Pedal Peddler"
From: Virginia Beach, VA
Registered: 2009-11-22
Posts: 5441
Bikes: 8
For Sale

Re: to repack or not to repack?

I feel like being the oddball.  If they spin smooth and are not dry...why not leave 'em alone?  It's not a critical application (as compared to rotating machinery) and I doubt the grease really outgases it's volatiles, especially when not in use.


Hi?

Offline

 

#11 2012-12-18 3:39pm

Oaktown Massive
Pro Member
From: 510 to 323, CA
Registered: 2010-04-18
Posts: 1857
Bikes: 2
For Sale
Website

Re: to repack or not to repack?

Axel10 wrote:

Thanks guys! Guess what I'm doing over the holidays? tongue
Will be using Park Tools PolyLube 1000.

Question: I am always generous when greasing caged bearings on a headset. When doing loose ball hubs does the same logic apply?

yes.  same concept between the two.


1 9 7 7   R a c e  I n c.   R A - 7                         1 9 7 9   R e d  L i n e   M X - I I

Offline

 

#12 2012-12-18 8:50pm

Axel10
Pro MemberBMX Archeologist
From: Calgary, Canada
Registered: 2011-03-25
Posts: 5415
Bikes: 12
For Sale

Re: to repack or not to repack?

RL20II wrote:

btw those hubs look awesome!!!

Thanks! I know most peeps like to restore using sealed hubs, but BITD these were much more common on the track I raced on smile


Boycott 'Soda Stream'

Offline

 

#13 2012-12-18 8:50pm

Axel10
Pro MemberBMX Archeologist
From: Calgary, Canada
Registered: 2011-03-25
Posts: 5415
Bikes: 12
For Sale

Re: to repack or not to repack?

Oaktown Massive wrote:

Axel10 wrote:

Thanks guys! Guess what I'm doing over the holidays? tongue
Will be using Park Tools PolyLube 1000.

Question: I am always generous when greasing caged bearings on a headset. When doing loose ball hubs does the same logic apply?

yes.  same concept between the two.

thanks!


Boycott 'Soda Stream'

Offline

 

#14 2012-12-18 9:16pm

esw
Museum Addict
Registered: 2010-06-01
Posts: 1859

Re: to repack or not to repack?

Just use proper tools and you will not damage the hubs. Repack and ride.


Months away... Wow! Same growth children still fighting about petty things. "I don't love this place ™"

Offline

 

#15 2012-12-18 9:21pm

Axel10
Pro MemberBMX Archeologist
From: Calgary, Canada
Registered: 2011-03-25
Posts: 5415
Bikes: 12
For Sale

Re: to repack or not to repack?

esw wrote:

Just use proper tools and you will not damage the hubs. Repack and ride.

You mean wrenches, two of them? Or is there some other trick to this?


Boycott 'Soda Stream'

Offline

 

#16 2012-12-19 8:15am

Oaktown Massive
Pro Member
From: 510 to 323, CA
Registered: 2010-04-18
Posts: 1857
Bikes: 2
For Sale
Website

Re: to repack or not to repack?

Axel10 wrote:

esw wrote:

Just use proper tools and you will not damage the hubs. Repack and ride.

You mean wrenches, two of them? Or is there some other trick to this?

yeah, I use two thin wrenches - one on the cone, one on the lock nut.  takes a little playing with to get right, 

you said you are gonna ride this heavily?  i would recommend servicing your hubs once a year, at least... that's what I do, anyways.  better safe than sorry, especially if you ride on dirt a lot.




TXBONE wrote:

I always repack. lol ready for another?

it is the only courteous thing to do, isn't it big_smile especially with water toys!  I'm ready for another!


1 9 7 7   R a c e  I n c.   R A - 7                         1 9 7 9   R e d  L i n e   M X - I I

Offline

 

#17 2012-12-19 8:57am

KuWa FS
Pro MemberKuwahara Freestyler
From: Colorado
Registered: 2009-04-30
Posts: 2987
Bikes: 4
For Sale

Re: to repack or not to repack?

Pack it up!  lol


Cream on the inside
Clean on the outside

Online

 

#18 2012-12-19 11:10am

TXBONE
Pro MemberTWENTYFOUR7EVEN
From: WESTSIDE
Registered: 2011-11-15
Posts: 6801
Bikes: 27
For Sale

Re: to repack or not to repack?

KuWa FS wrote:

Pack it up!  lol

Inhale, exhale........


I can not sit still. I have been tested for A.D.D. and A.D.H.D. and have neither. I don't need coffee, I just need a B.M.X. or surfboard to consistently ride and I'll be happy. smile
INSTAGRAM: @sean_colburn          CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE VIDEOS. SEARCH: 27TXBONE

[img]http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee447/SEA_ELECTRIC/Internet%20bs%20images/815a8d608e0c528b08240357ddbcb522_zpsdedf4245.jpg[/img]

Offline

 

#19 2012-12-19 11:13am

TXBONE
Pro MemberTWENTYFOUR7EVEN
From: WESTSIDE
Registered: 2011-11-15
Posts: 6801
Bikes: 27
For Sale

Re: to repack or not to repack?

Oaktown Massive wrote:

Axel10 wrote:

esw wrote:

Just use proper tools and you will not damage the hubs. Repack and ride.

You mean wrenches, two of them? Or is there some other trick to this?

yeah, I use two thin wrenches - one on the cone, one on the lock nut.  takes a little playing with to get right, 

you said you are gonna ride this heavily?  i would recommend servicing your hubs once a year, at least... that's what I do, anyways.  better safe than sorry, especially if you ride on dirt a lot.




TXBONE wrote:

I always repack. lol ready for another?

it is the only courteous thing to do, isn't it big_smile especially with water toys!  I'm ready for another!

lol your not allowed to use the term, "bong", they are called water pipes. Next time you say that word in here, your out!


I can not sit still. I have been tested for A.D.D. and A.D.H.D. and have neither. I don't need coffee, I just need a B.M.X. or surfboard to consistently ride and I'll be happy. smile
INSTAGRAM: @sean_colburn          CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE VIDEOS. SEARCH: 27TXBONE

[img]http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee447/SEA_ELECTRIC/Internet%20bs%20images/815a8d608e0c528b08240357ddbcb522_zpsdedf4245.jpg[/img]

Offline

 

#20 2012-12-19 12:27pm

Axel10
Pro MemberBMX Archeologist
From: Calgary, Canada
Registered: 2011-03-25
Posts: 5415
Bikes: 12
For Sale

Re: to repack or not to repack?

Thanks for all the answers gang.
Now maybe an admin/mod can close this thread before it continues down the wrong path tongue


Boycott 'Soda Stream'

Offline

 

#21 2012-12-19 3:13pm

Oaktown Massive
Pro Member
From: 510 to 323, CA
Registered: 2010-04-18
Posts: 1857
Bikes: 2
For Sale
Website

Re: to repack or not to repack?

I didn't say bong, I said "water toys" wink ... personally, I use a bubbler big_smile


1 9 7 7   R a c e  I n c.   R A - 7                         1 9 7 9   R e d  L i n e   M X - I I

Offline

 

#22 2012-12-26 5:07pm

KU Dude
Member
Registered: 2011-06-16
Posts: 71

Re: to repack or not to repack?

Hi. Yes. I would definately repack them especially if you plan on rolling them. Use the proper tools, of course, and some good grade grease. If you don't have this, check out you local bike shop. Usually good guys that will help save the value of the hubs in the long run.

I recently acquired and restored a hardly used loose-ball hub set that seemed to be smooth and when I cracked into it, the grease was all dried out and reverted back to a waxy-like paraffin state. So grease can be deceiving. I saved the hubs and they're all better now. I hope this helps.

Offline

 

#23 2012-12-26 8:44pm

Axel10
Pro MemberBMX Archeologist
From: Calgary, Canada
Registered: 2011-03-25
Posts: 5415
Bikes: 12
For Sale

Re: to repack or not to repack?

KU Dude wrote:

Hi. Yes. I would definately repack them especially if you plan on rolling them. Use the proper tools, of course, and some good grade grease. If you don't have this, check out you local bike shop. Usually good guys that will help save the value of the hubs in the long run.

I recently acquired and restored a hardly used loose-ball hub set that seemed to be smooth and when I cracked into it, the grease was all dried out and reverted back to a waxy-like paraffin state. So grease can be deceiving. I saved the hubs and they're all better now. I hope this helps.

Thanks KU Dude! I was able to pick up a 15mm cone wrench late last week, so I will start the re-pack later tonight or tomorrow. As soon as that is done, they and some 24" red ano rims I have are off to my LBS for a wheel build cool


Boycott 'Soda Stream'

Offline

 

#24 2012-12-27 12:39am

KU Dude
Member
Registered: 2011-06-16
Posts: 71

Re: to repack or not to repack?

Sounds like a hot set up.  I've been using mineral spirits to gently clean the messy stuff and its been working great for me. Followed by some alcohol to remove any residue.  See if you can find some 100% synthetic high performance lithium bearing grease to make them smooth like butter and FAST. What type of riding are you looking to do on them? Cruising, racing, show?

Offline

 

#25 2012-12-30 9:55am

looptail
Centurion Member
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-02-10
Posts: 205
Bikes: 4

Re: to repack or not to repack?

Axel10 wrote:

Thanks guys! Guess what I'm doing over the holidays? tongue
Will be using Park Tools PolyLube 1000.

Question: I am always generous when greasing caged bearings on a headset. When doing loose ball hubs does the same logic apply?

Not too much, otherwise it creeps out:|

Offline

 

Board footer