1985 Vitus 985  RSS Feed

#1 2012-11-09 4:31pm

d.stroy
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2008-06-19
Posts: 16
Bikes: 3

1985 Vitus 985

http://bmxmuseum.com/image/p11301462.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/p11301472.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/p11301492.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/p11301502.jpg

1985 Vitus 985

So stoked to have this one!

Traded this thing for a rare italian road bycicle frame.


http://bmxmuseum.com/img/view-bike-in-museum.gif

Offline

 

#2 2012-11-09 7:17pm

bikemagn8
Pro Member
From: Boynton Beach, FL
Registered: 2010-11-21
Posts: 133
Bikes: 26
For Sale

Re: 1985 Vitus 985

WOW!!big_smile


I can't believe the way people mistreat bikes. It also amazes me how many people don't have any bikes and never ride them - poor miserable souls.

Offline

 

#3 2012-11-10 1:10am

Bambi
Centurion Member
From: Queensland, Australia
Registered: 2011-04-05
Posts: 106
Website

Re: 1985 Vitus 985

yikes  That is beautiful. Hubby was only talking about them just before when we were reading old bmx magazines.  He was saying how much he would like to have one. Then this one appears smile


Tusk. In its entirety. Just as Lindsay Buckingham intended it to be.

Offline

 

#4 2012-11-10 4:57am

d.stroy
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2008-06-19
Posts: 16
Bikes: 3

Re: 1985 Vitus 985

Thanks guys!
i usually don't look into non italian bikes, but this little french had my attention since i discovered it, a bmx bike made like a road racing one!
if the owners of the other Vitus here are reading this, please add your frame number in the description, i'll add mine later (it's under the bb) so we can try to date them better

Offline

 

#5 2012-11-10 5:56am

TonyC
Centurion Member
From: Arlington Heights, IL
Registered: 2012-10-17
Posts: 116
Bikes: 1

Re: 1985 Vitus 985

One of my old school buddies has one!
They called it The Secret weapon back then. I don't think they knew it was a Vitus.

I remember taking it for a ride. It was fairly long(for the time), flexy, and fast.

Offline

 

#6 2012-11-10 2:19pm

d.stroy
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2008-06-19
Posts: 16
Bikes: 3

Re: 1985 Vitus 985

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-_N6dMkJBkp4/UJ7Q-p1zE7I/AAAAAAAADG0/zuSrAUrE_38/s576/auto%2520adj.jpg

As you can see from this image on the top tube there is a Weinmann Auto Adjuster installed; at first i tought it was just thrown there for using that Balilla center pull from the 60's, so when i took it off i expected a sketchy threaded hole.
To my surprise, the hole has a reinforcing threaded steel rivet in wich the Auto Adj threads in, perfectly centered on the tube; has anyone any toughts on what kind of brake is supposed to be used, and if this was factory made? I tought i will close it with a grub screw but now i want to make it work!

My frame number is 1237, could please the other owners tell me your serial numbers and how you know the year of your Vitus? thanks!

Offline

 

#7 2012-11-11 6:08am

RetroBMX
Pro Member
From: Osceola, WI
Registered: 2009-12-28
Posts: 387
For Sale
Website

Re: 1985 Vitus 985

d.stroy wrote:

has anyone any toughts on what kind of brake is supposed to be used, and if this was factory made?

Not sure if it was factory-made, but wouldn't you think that the centerpull brake that is on the bike is the brake that is supposed to be used?   Looks like it was designed to perfectly work with the brake that is there.   I am thinking that current bikes that run 990-style U-brakes could also be set up the same way, and I am wondering why this idea got lost over the years.  Seems brilliant.

I always was attracted to the Vitus and the Alan road bikes of the 80's that used this style of bonded construction and Aluminum lugs.  Back then, I never even knew that either of those companies made BMX bikes, so to find some of these in the Museum is quite mind-blowing!   Awesome find.   Are you going to clean this one up or are you going to leave it in survivor condition?


[img]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g242/retroBMX/mnfaction.gif[/img]

Offline

 

#8 2012-11-11 11:21am

phusion X
Pro MemberI LOVE THIS PLACE!!
From: North of Deeetroit!
Registered: 2010-01-03
Posts: 886
Bikes: 1
For Sale
Website

Re: 1985 Vitus 985

Ive seen about 4 of these a year for sale, never seen a red one. the tubes were actually glued into the lugs. the bicycle standards industry that governs how bikes are made killed this bike, these aluminium forks are very dangerous to ride and often broke suddenly. On these bikes the lugs flex more than the tubing does, which is exact opposite of typical bikes. Id be pretty careful riding this as an adult.


★Wanted murray TRX☆ my 1st bike

Offline

 

#9 2012-11-11 3:15pm

d.stroy
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2008-06-19
Posts: 16
Bikes: 3

Re: 1985 Vitus 985

RetroBMX wrote:

d.stroy wrote:

has anyone any toughts on what kind of brake is supposed to be used, and if this was factory made?

Not sure if it was factory-made, but wouldn't you think that the centerpull brake that is on the bike is the brake that is supposed to be used?   Looks like it was designed to perfectly work with the brake that is there.   I am thinking that current bikes that run 990-style U-brakes could also be set up the same way, and I am wondering why this idea got lost over the years.  Seems brilliant.

I always was attracted to the Vitus and the Alan road bikes of the 80's that used this style of bonded construction and Aluminum lugs.  Back then, I never even knew that either of those companies made BMX bikes, so to find some of these in the Museum is quite mind-blowing!   Awesome find.   Are you going to clean this one up or are you going to leave it in survivor condition?

I can tell you the brake is wrong because it's a Balilla brake from the 60's...
and i have to argue with you, this brake set up is all but brilliant, it'll be a nightmare to make the brake work without the cable hanger scratching on the top tube, but still having enough slack in the cable.

It'll be restored to his best with some NOS stuff like a DX lever and a set of real wheels!

Offline

 

#10 2012-11-11 3:40pm

RetroBMX
Pro Member
From: Osceola, WI
Registered: 2009-12-28
Posts: 387
For Sale
Website

Re: 1985 Vitus 985

Ha, OK, then I think you have your answer.  Not Factory!


[img]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g242/retroBMX/mnfaction.gif[/img]

Offline

 

#11 2012-11-12 3:20am

magma3311
Centurion Member
From: Toulouse - France
Registered: 2010-03-27
Posts: 147
Bikes: 17

Re: 1985 Vitus 985

smile  your frame was made after December 84  birth date of this new frame without seat clamp

it's a 985 frame not 979

http://rothenbusch.free.fr/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7573

my Vitus Frame serial is  1192

pretty much rare with the Vitus fork

Last edited by magma3311 (2012-11-12 3:21am)

Offline

 

#12 2012-11-12 2:22pm

d.stroy
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2008-06-19
Posts: 16
Bikes: 3

Re: 1985 Vitus 985

magma3311 wrote:

smile  your frame was made after December 84  birth date of this new frame without seat clamp

it's a 985 frame not 979

http://rothenbusch.free.fr/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7573

my Vitus Frame serial is  1192

pretty much rare with the Vitus fork

Thanks for the link! i'll try to read the ads but i really don't know french...
how can you tell from wich year it's from and what model it is? does 985 stands for 1985 and 984 for 1984 and so on?
and what do you think about the brake? I'll take a pic of the hole in the top tube and you'll see that who did the job knew how to do it.

Offline

 

#13 2012-11-12 2:28pm

d.stroy
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2008-06-19
Posts: 16
Bikes: 3

Re: 1985 Vitus 985

Now i understand:
http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/3859/bxm27info.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline

 

Board footer