Installing 1 1/8 headset help  RSS Feed

#1 2012-11-04 2:35pm

dookie
Koala Ninja
From: Kansas
Registered: 2008-08-06
Posts: 3286

Installing 1 1/8 headset help

'Im new to these headsets and need some help.  I'm working on this S@M holmes and it originally had a gyro on it.  I took off the gyro and reinstalled the headset and now it has a little wiggle back and forth.  I installed the bearings correctly and placed the compression race on the bearings and then the dustcap.  I then placed the two washers back on top of the dustcap and installed the stem back on.  I tightened the compression bolt as tight as I  could get it and it still wiggles a bit back and forth. Am I doing it all wrong. Also I noticed the bolt on top of the stem doesn't sit flush.  Could that be the problem.  Any help is appreciated.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l37/dookie316/20121104_110248.jpg


Should this bolt sit flush with the outer ring??

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l37/dookie316/20121104_110258.jpg

Trying to get the S&M up and running before the winter hits. 

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l37/dookie316/20121104_160845.jpg

Last edited by dookie (2012-11-04 3:20pm)


Revenge of the Koala Ninja.

Offline

 

#2 2012-11-04 3:00pm

dirkBMX
Pro Member
From: Chicago, IL
Registered: 2010-08-06
Posts: 264
Bikes: 4
For Sale

Re: Installing 1 1/8 headset help

What's happening is that the top dust cover is hitting the headset cup before it gets tight. I had a similar issue on my Speedwagon, recently.

There should have a thin shim. Probably only like 1/8" thick or so about the same diameter as the bearing compression pc. Put that on top of the bearing compression piece under the dust cover. This will allow you to tighten it without bottoming it out on the cup. You can try that thinner spacer above the stem and put it under the dust cover and see if it fixes your problem as long as it fits on the compression pc.

I hope that makes sense.

I found this...

http://www.canecreek.com/resources/prod … ctions.pdf

From the above:
"2. preload bolt is not too tight. If binding occurs while the headset is still loose check the gap between the top cover and upper bearing cup. If there is interference you can insert spacer shims between the compression ring and the top cover to increase this clearance"

Offline

 

#3 2012-11-04 3:08pm

rocs8x9x
Museum Addict
From: Appleton, WI
Registered: 2008-08-19
Posts: 1210
Bikes: 5

Re: Installing 1 1/8 headset help

it looks like that stem cap is not seated tight??? or you need to make sure the cups are seated all the way if you dont have a tool then use a block of wood and a hammer and hit it solid that should work or use a stem lock

Last edited by rocs8x9x (2012-11-04 3:17pm)


PAIN IS TEMPORARY, LOSING IS FOREVER
[img]http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo245/rocs8x9x/topper_art-1.jpg[/img]

Offline

 

#4 2012-11-04 3:12pm

dookie
Koala Ninja
From: Kansas
Registered: 2008-08-06
Posts: 3286

Re: Installing 1 1/8 headset help

pneufab wrote:

What's happening is that the top dust cover is hitting the headset cup before it gets tight. I had a similar issue on my Speedwagon, recently.

There should have a thin shim. Probably only like 1/8" thick or so about the same diameter as the bearing compression pc. Put that on top of the bearing compression piece under the dust cover. This will allow you to tighten it without bottoming it out on the cup. You can try that thinner spacer above the stem and put it under the dust cover and see if it fixes your problem as long as it fits on the compression pc.

I hope that makes sense.

I found this...

http://www.canecreek.com/resources/prod … ctions.pdf

From the above:
"2. preload bolt is not too tight. If binding occurs while the headset is still loose check the gap between the top cover and upper bearing cup. If there is interference you can insert spacer shims between the compression ring and the top cover to increase this clearance"

Thanks Im going to try that.  I just have the bearing compression piece under the dust cover but I'm going to put spacer underneath it.  I didnt see a shim when I took out the headset though.


Revenge of the Koala Ninja.

Offline

 

#5 2012-11-04 3:15pm

dookie
Koala Ninja
From: Kansas
Registered: 2008-08-06
Posts: 3286

Re: Installing 1 1/8 headset help

rocs8x9x wrote:

it looks like that stem cap is not seated tight??? or you need to make sure the cups are seated all the way if you dont have a tool then use a block of wood and a hammer and hit it solid that should work or use a stem lock

i thought speedwagons had intagarted headsets??

Yeah it looks like the stem cap should fit snugger but it doesn't.  The cups are seated properly.  Probably just the angle of the picture.  Im going to take it apart and hit the cups a few more times to make sure their nice and snug and work my way backwards.  I hope it does the trick smile


Revenge of the Koala Ninja.

Offline

 

#6 2012-11-04 3:16pm

dookie
Koala Ninja
From: Kansas
Registered: 2008-08-06
Posts: 3286

Re: Installing 1 1/8 headset help

Oh yeah the headset it dirty.  I wanted to make sure everything worked okay before I cleaned it up tongue


Revenge of the Koala Ninja.

Offline

 

#7 2012-11-04 3:20pm

SCIVIC94
Pro Member
From: New Jersey
Registered: 2008-01-23
Posts: 2629
Bikes: 24
For Sale

Re: Installing 1 1/8 headset help

IN YOUR LAST PIC IT LOOKS LIKE THE STEERTUBE STICS OUT OF THE STEM ALITTLE BIT. YOU NEED ANOTHER SPACER RING TO MAKE UP THE SPACE OF THE 2 GYRO PLATES YOU REMOVED.

Offline

 

#8 2012-11-04 3:32pm

80sbikedude
Pro MemberBugs Bunny Bmx'er
Registered: 2006-06-14
Posts: 5777
Bikes: 56
For Sale
Website

Re: Installing 1 1/8 headset help


ASAP.org ........check it out, I live with it daily

If at first you don't succeed, Do it like your Mom told you!
"Do or do not, there is no try"......Yoda
Next time you are feeling perfect, try walking on water! wink
[img]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h283/80sbikedude/ICONATOR_df31bdad3e7e6d5857cf571cc4.gif[/img] Hook 'Em Horns

Online

 

#9 2012-11-04 3:44pm

dookie
Koala Ninja
From: Kansas
Registered: 2008-08-06
Posts: 3286

Re: Installing 1 1/8 headset help

SCIVIC94 wrote:

IN YOUR LAST PIC IT LOOKS LIKE THE STEERTUBE STICS OUT OF THE STEM ALITTLE BIT. YOU NEED ANOTHER SPACER RING TO MAKE UP THE SPACE OF THE 2 GYRO PLATES YOU REMOVED.

I think you got it.  I took apart the headset.  It did have the shim that sits inside the compression ring and when I put the headset back on the steerer tube hits the top of the stem preventing me from sitting the top nut inside the stem hole.  A spacer is probably what I need to make up for the gyro I took off.  Im going to order a spacer and see if that helps but I'm thinking that will solve the problem. smile


Revenge of the Koala Ninja.

Offline

 

Board footer