1980 Quicksilver Team  RSS Feed

#1 2012-06-02 11:34pm

Crockett
Museum Newbie
Bikes: 1

1980 Quicksilver Team

http://bmxmuseum.com/image/dsc05516.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/dsc05512.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/dsc05508_copy1.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/dsc05520.jpg

1980 Quicksilver Team

Rare original Team Quicksilver

This is my bike which I built up after purchasing the frame new in 1980. This was one snappy bike in its day with it's high lustre chrome and black component ensemble. I Decided to build it up with a black component group set as at the time, the BMX world was awash with red, gold and blue anodising and I thought the black colour scheme would stand out. It did! 
The original freestyle wheel set was a set of black Skyways Tuff 2's and regretfully, like the black high flange Dura Ace road hubs with track axles and black Araya 7X rimmed race wheels, they were sold off many years ago. The bike has just undergone restoration.
This bike is fitted with a centre pull brake calliper set which vastly improved the braking performance as brakes of that era for BMX bikes were generally very poor. The handmade long reach brake lever for the DX lever mount also aided in braking performance and was more comfortable than the standard DX lever.
This proved to be a very capable race bike and also a very strong bike for freestyle riding and jumping.

04/03/2013
Well The restoration is  complete.
The pedals are Suntour BMX pedals which I have custom upgraded to the Suntour Superbe Pro seal set and chrome plated the spindles, polished the bodies and reanodised  black the cages to match. They will effectively be "Suntour XC Compe" specification but threaded for 1/2" cranks and not stamped "COMPE". These pedals spin equally as smooth as my Superbe Pro road pedals on my vintage road racing bike. These pedals are the best of the best! (The Suntour Superbe Pro group set was the best quality that money could buy.)
I was never happy with the steel guts for the seat on the original saddle so I decided to graft a Suntour XC seat clamp (same design as Suntour Superbe Pro) onto my original Nitto seat post to support the "ISCA" NOS saddle which dates back to the mid to late '70s. I chose this saddle as my original saddle was a "Seamless" smooth leather skinned track saddle, I wanted to maintain the same theme as when I built the bike. I retained the Nitto seat post as I found them to be without question, the strongest aluminium seat post available. The wheels consist of Suntour Sealed bearing hubs and UKAI rims with SS spokes laced 4 cross for bomb proof wheels. The original fittings for the brake cable routing were pretty crude as I made them when I was 16 years old at the time so I have replaced those parts with custom made parts for consistency with the quality finish.
The feeling when I sit on this bike and look at it now brings back such vivid memories - the same as when I first mounted it when I was a young fella who ate, slept and breathed BMX.
This really is a special machine!
I have lots more photos and can rotate them on the site to show particular aspects of the bike if anyone is interested.

http://bmxmuseum.com/img/view-bike-in-museum.gif

#2 2012-06-02 11:46pm

pr200
Bringin The Thunda From Down Unda
Bikes: 5

Re: 1980 Quicksilver Team

Nice mate, always good to have your og ride......

B

My wife just came in to me and said, “I don’t know if I am coming or going.” I said to her, “Judging by the look on your face, you’re going – ‘cos when you’re coming, you look like a franking Down Syndrome kid trying to whistle!”

#3 2012-06-03 7:10am

JonnyTorker
King of RePop
Bikes: 2
Website

Very cool...

Even cooler that you kept it!

#4 2012-12-31 10:07pm

Crockett
Museum Newbie

Thanks for looking. Progress report: Bike has been completely dismantled and decal positions accurately plotted for new decal applications. The frame, fork, handle bars, one piece crank and spider have been rechromed. All aulminium parts have been stripped and re-anodized black - faithful to the original scheme when I built it, bottom bracket and head set have been replaced with NOS sets.
Recently I acquired a set of Suntour XC pedals which I will freshen up and reanodize black. Wheels have been replaced with Suntour sealed bearing hubs and UKAI rims both Black with stainless steel spokes. I have also acquired a NOS leather suede saddle from the late 70's and that will go onto my Nitto seat post onto which I have very professionally grafted a Suntour XC/ Superbe pro seat clamp
( this is a work of art!). I did put on it some bear trap pedals but was not happy with them ( I thought they were rubbish and they will be replaced with the Suntour XC pedals which are beautiful pieces of work!). I will post photos once I have finished completely to my satisfaction. FINE THINGS TAKE TIME!

#5 2013-02-01 1:47pm

joffa
Museum Newbie

Very nice Crockett looking to the pic's.

#6 2013-02-06 1:11am

Crockett
Museum Newbie

Thanks Joffa. I will put up some other photos in a couple of weeks.

Crockett.

Board footer