You are not logged in.

Unfortunately, Mongoose bikes are not available for purchase in the US  RSS Feed

#26 2012-01-06 2:52pm

bones977
"RAD JUNKIE"
Bikes: 15

Re: Unfortunately, Mongoose bikes are not available for purchase in the US

iamtim wrote:

bones977 wrote:

I love my 2010 Chamber...

Nice looking bike.  If it's not available in the US, how'd you get it?

Mongoose just started doing the not available thing. And you still can get them of other sites as well, and certain dealers...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for quality you can't say that for sure 100% It's full chromo extremely strong and light (24lbs).
Great parts, sealed everything.

To say that it's sold as a complete so something is compromised on it is just funny... So the Complete Funday aaron pro? What's compromised on that bike?

Show me any test that say that the new geese are inferior to any standard bmx made these days..
Don't get me wrong I would love to own any one of the new aaron Ross bmx's but not for those prices when I get a goose (that I still love) for cheaper? no way.

Last edited by bones977 (2012-01-06 2:52pm)

RAD IS STILL NOT AVAILABLE ON AN OFFICIAL DVD!!!! Don't be fooled..
[img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/bones977/Decorated%20images/mongoose-logo1.jpg[/img][img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/bones977/Decorated%20images/skyway-logo.jpg[/img]

#27 2012-01-06 3:14pm

chillywilly263
Pro Member**Hooligan** 1%er
Bikes: 12
For Sale: 3
Website

bones977 wrote:

iamtim wrote:

bones977 wrote:

I love my 2010 Chamber...

Mongoose just started doing the not available thing. And you still can get them of other sites as well, and certain dealers...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for quality you can't say that for sure 100% It's full chromo extremely strong and light (24lbs).

To say that it's sold as a complete so something is compromised on it is just funny... So the Complete Funday aaron pro? What's compromised on that bike?

Show me any test that say that the new geese are inferior to any standard bmx made these days..
Don't get me wrong I would love to own any one of the new aaron Ross bmx's but not for those prices when I get a goose (that I still love) for cheaper? no way.

I'm not knocking your bike, but let's not forget there is also a $400 gap between an Aaron Ross Pro complete and an S&M frame, not $80 like the goose. Sunday can start with a $150 or so non 41thermal frame and throw $600 of their aftermarket parts at it and still have a great bike, but you're paying more for the end product as well. I see the 2010 Chamber has a hi-ten fork crown and unsealed hubs. I'd say it's a little bit of a compromise. wink It all made sense in my head. Sorry if it came out sounding like crap.

Last edited by chillywilly263 (2012-01-06 3:15pm)

#28 2012-01-06 3:23pm

iamtim
terribly vexed
Bikes: 5

I'll be honest, the old-schooler in me thinks a new-school, non-Walmart Mongoose would just be awesome to have.  Stolen, Sunday, the other new-school brands, they don't mean anything to me.  Mongoose, though, has meaning... albeit entirely sentimental.

I dunno.  I'm actually getting way ahead of myself, I still need to finish my Free Agent and my GT Power Series Pro.

I don't ride a BMX bike to look cool to others, I do it because it's fun and never do I think "Boy I sure am cool on my BMX bike."
- Capt. Nemo

#29 2012-01-06 4:42pm

bones977
"RAD JUNKIE"

iamtim wrote:

I'll be honest, the old-schooler in me thinks a new-school, non-Walmart Mongoose would just be awesome to have.  Stolen, Sunday, the other new-school brands, they don't mean anything to me.  Mongoose, though, has meaning... albeit entirely sentimental.

I dunno.  I'm actually getting way ahead of myself, I still need to finish my Free Agent and my GT Power Series Pro.

That's how I feel too.. But once you ride them, oh my lord are they awesome.. That's also why I chose the goose because it feels no different to me than a 1500.00 s&m..
----------------------

chillywilly263 wrote:

bones977 wrote:

iamtim wrote:

I'm not knocking your bike, but let's not forget there is also a $400 gap between an Aaron Ross Pro complete and an S&M frame, not $80 like the goose. Sunday can start with a $150 or so non 41thermal frame and throw $600 of their aftermarket parts at it and still have a great bike, but you're paying more for the end product as well. I see the 2010 Chamber has a hi-ten fork crown and unsealed hubs. I'd say it's a little bit of a compromise. wink It all made sense in my head. Sorry if it came out sounding like crap.

I agree with some of what your saying too. And I understand the difference between my goose and a high end bmx, but it's not enough of a huge difference for me to spend that kind of money.. It's just not a huge difference like it use to be, say between my Cali goose and my skyway, that's a big change.

[img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/bones977/Decorated%20images/mongoose-logo1.jpg[/img][img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/bones977/Decorated%20images/skyway-logo.jpg[/img]

#30 2012-01-06 5:01pm

chillywilly263
Pro Member**Hooligan** 1%er
Bikes: 12
For Sale: 3
Website

bones977 wrote:

iamtim wrote:

That's how I feel too.. But once you ride them, oh my lord are they awesome.. That's also why I chose the goose because it feels no different to me than a 1500.00 s&m..
----------------------

chillywilly263 wrote:

bones977 wrote:

I agree with some of what your saying too. And I understand the difference between my goose and a high end bmx, but it's not enough of a huge difference for me to spend that kind of money.. It's just not a huge difference like it use to be, say between my Cali goose and my skyway, that's a big change.

You get two bikes with comparable geometry, and no doubt they'll feel the same. Although a high end wheelset makes a world of difference no matter what the era. I've seen some real nice completes as of recently, but it's still not enough to sway me from building up a bike exactly how I want it.

#31 2012-01-06 5:36pm

DrakesFolly

My 2 cents. My first 'Goose was a white Expert back in the very early 90's (like around 1992). I bought it used from my cousin for $100. Once I grew up and my style of riding changed from "poppin' wheelies" to manualing a block to bunny hopping huge gaps....well my bike changed too.

The quality of any Mongoose be it now or in the past just doesn't stand up to the build quality of S&M/Standard. Once I got more "hardcore" in my riding style those two bike companies became THE bikes to ride. I can totally dig the nostalgia of some of the older dudes riding their true old-school rides, please don't think I don't! I'm just saying S&M/Standard (and of course FitBikeCo as they are really S&M) are pretty much the guiding light of all the others to follow.

I know other companies came first...obviously (I used to own a Hutch!) but when I saw an S&M for the first time I was blown away by it's awesomeness! The first S&M I saw (after hearing how great they were) was an OG Challenger. The first Standard I ever saw was an OG Shorty. Both were built to "give it the business!". They were (and still are) the bikes meant and built to be ridden extremely hard.....from the days of Hutch riding has changed soooooo much. Nowadays "normal" riding would destroy an old-school frame quickly. I'm talking 360 tailwhips...bunnyhop 360s off ledge to flat. In order for the old-school companies to survive they HAD to adopt similar designs.....but in this case if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck but isn't S&M/Standard then most likely it's a platypus. Nothing else can really compare to either brand. They pretty much are still king of the hill. That's my input. cool

#32 2012-01-06 6:58pm

v0lum3
Museum Addict
Bikes: 2

bones977 wrote:

Excuse me, but you're comparing a $450 complete to a decked out complete featuring almost entirely aftermarket parts that is widely considered the top of the line.  However, you're still wrong, the frame on the Aaron Ross pro is not the same as a Funday, it doesn't have removable brake mounts, doesn't have built in chain tensioners, and it doesn't have 41 thermal treatment which means it also does not carry the lifetime warranty.  So, I'll say again, a complete has compromises on the frame, otherwise the price would be even higher.

That said, you would do better comparing your Mongoose to the Sunday AM's (BTW, they have an Aaron Ross one, and it was only a few bucks more than your Mongoose) to which I would defer your mongoose is pretty similar.

I don't have to show you a test, I'm discussing advertised features on the bikes, and what you can readily see by looking at them, if you don't think there's a reason between a heat treated frame or a 41 thermal treated frame and an untreated frame like your mongoose, then simply ask yourself, "why doesn't Sunday warranty their non-treated frames?" 

It does not have sealed everything, the hubs are unsealed, the rear driver is sealed which is what "semi sealed" means.  It is %100 cromoly, but it doesn't have any strengthening process, and is likely made from cheaper cromoly (as is the standard when constructing completes) to help keep the overall price down on the bike.  It's not 24 lbs, unless you've changed something, the bike weighs in several lbs over that from the manufacturer. 

I'm not telling you your Mongoose is a bad bike, it's a COMPARABLE bike, which means it is similar to other bikes which you'll find at that price point.  But, again, it's far from a Sunday pro complete with mostly Odyssey aftermarket parts (including their respective warranties) and farther still from a properly built up stand alone frame like those available from S&M or Standard.

Oh your bike doesn't have a scratch on it? 

Tell me again what the best parts are.

#33 2012-01-06 7:08pm

v0lum3
Museum Addict

bones977 wrote:

Depending on what you're doing to your bike, that difference becomes greater.  For riding around, chilling, or doing small stuff, I'm sure unsealed wheels, an untreated frame, and slightly lower quality parts are serviceable.  I'm assuming that as long as you've owned your mongoose, and with as little problems as you've reportedly had with it, that you're not putting it through too much serious punishment. 

However, there are riders out there putting their frames and bikes through much worse.  I've bent and broken no-name rims, which is why I now run Demolition Zero's which are much stronger.  I've bent Eastern complete bars, which is why I now run Shadow Conspiracy Vultus bars.  I've snapped thin aluminum sprockets, which is why I now run a 6mm thick Colony 7075 aluminum sprocket.  I've dented and bent Fit complete frames, which is why I now run a heat treated, high quality Solid frame.  I've blown out unsealed rear hub bearings, which is why I now run a fully sealed Demolition rear hub. 

I could continue, I could also mention how many parts I've seen fail in person from others riding it, or how many young riders I've seen injured when a lower level part gives out on them, but hopefully you get the idea.  Each rider has different needs, and balancing those needs with what you're willing to spend on a bike is what should help you decide what to purchase. 

But just because your bike adequately meets your needs does not make it better than or the same as a top of the line products.  The paint job on those Sunday's aren't why they're respected the way they are.

#34 2012-01-06 7:38pm

v0lum3
Museum Addict

iamtim wrote:

I'm not saying that it's not "neat" for the nostalgic value, I happen to agree, it's also nice to see mongoose putting out products which are decent again.

BTW, my official suggestion for a NS bike right now:  2011 Sunday Young Pro

http://www.danscomp.com/products-BIKES- … Bike.html#

517.94 shipped, w/ sw15 code.

Comes w/ a boat load of Odyssey products (wheels and cranks are the two real biggies, the cranks will and those two are worth more than the value of the bike)

#35 2012-01-06 7:46pm

v0lum3
Museum Addict

v0lum3 wrote:

the cranks will and those two are worth more than the value of the bike)

lol, that's supposed to say "the cranks will have a lifetime warranty and those two (wheels and cranks) are worth more than the price of the bike"

#36 2012-01-06 8:26pm

steve43-4
Banned
Bikes: 4

bones977 wrote:

I happen to think it's to bad that you have to go through all that crap to get a new goose... I love my 2010 Chamber... It's right up there if not better than any of todays companies, Standard, S&M, Kink whatever... It's just as light, strong and looks great... And it's about a 300 less for a complete!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/ … hamber.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/ … C02334.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/ … C02337.jpg

that looks sweeeeet! good job!

life is short-snag it & ride it before its gone.

#37 2012-01-08 4:50pm

Course_Out
Centurion Member

I have a 2009 Mongoose Expert - to be fair it isn't as light as a lot of other bikes out there, but at the time it had a full chromo frame and fork, and decent 3 piece cranks, etc, for much less than the asking price for a WTP or similar with a half chromo frame. As for the "pretend" stem - I have nose cased with that exact stem at race speed (yeah i race it) more than once and weigh 87kg (I think that's somewhere near 200lbs?) and it hasn't broken. I am only considering changing it to get a bit longer reach.

I Have heard they are introducing a chromo race bike - if it is available as a frame set i will be buying one without hesitation. I think here in Australia the Mongoose name hasn't been tainted by the Walgoose name to the same extent. That said I am the only racer on a Mongoose at my local track...

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/nathanial84/Racebike2.jpg

#38 2012-01-09 12:39pm

carbons2k
99%er
Bikes: 6

KenC wrote:

A buddy of mine is a Mongoose dealer and he was told the low quality Walgoose has killed the name hear in the states so badly that they decided it isn't worth it at this time.

Its mongooses own fault that decided to put their name on such crap and sell it to walmart and department stores....

house fund: A soggy biscuit.

#39 2012-01-09 1:30pm

i have a 2008 supergoose comp  here in the uk  its light all alloy the welds shout quality as good a goose as they were back in the day no wallmart here, sory you yanks have  have been sold such wallmart crap. as for all the mongoose haters out ther who constantly rant about kink , w,t,p etc your bikes owe a great deal to companys like mongoose who were pioneers of the sport,without there imput into bmx helping to make it the popular sport it is your bikes would have probably never been made.

NEVER EAT YELLOW SNOW!!

#40 2012-01-09 1:33pm

v0lum3
Museum Addict

1975 wrote:

i have a 2008 supergoose comp  here in the uk  its light all alloy the welds shout quality as good a goose as they were back in the day no wallmart here, sory you yanks have  have been sold such wallmart crap. as for all the mongoose haters out ther who constantly rant about kink , w,t,p etc your bikes owe a great deal to companys like mongoose who were pioneers of the sport,without there imput into bmx helping to make it the popular sport it is your bikes would have probably never been made.

??? What haters?  Nobody has ever questioned what Mongoose did for BMX, certainly not around here.

#41 2012-01-09 1:47pm

spyker
Freakzilla

1975 wrote:

I have always considered Mongoose to be on the lower end of the scale when it came to BMX BITD and even worse today.

There are way more companies BITD that are more deserving of making the sport of BMX what it is today than Mongoose.

The way you call americans "yanks" is the typical attitude of a pikey or traveller or chav like yourself.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength

Would you trust a lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?

#42 2012-01-09 3:03pm

sorry if ive upset you spyker im not a pikey or a traveller,and i dont have a council house and im not violent c,h,a,v so i dont fit in to any of those brackets, and i said  companys like mongoose  ie, not on there own. and yanks well thats a term used quite affectionatly here not in a nasty way at all. so you can put your toys back in the pram now

NEVER EAT YELLOW SNOW!!

#43 2012-01-10 5:59am

haphoun
Expert

Bloody hell!

Thread killer

#44 2012-01-10 8:30am

iamtim
terribly vexed
Bikes: 5

At least the new Mongoose's aren't janky turds.  *shrug*

I don't ride a BMX bike to look cool to others, I do it because it's fun and never do I think "Boy I sure am cool on my BMX bike."
- Capt. Nemo

#45 2012-01-10 9:32am

bones977
"RAD JUNKIE"

mongoose know your roots documentary out next month!!!! smile

http://vimeo.com/27661379

#46 2012-01-10 4:12pm

johnng23604
U seen my "baseball"
Bikes: 44
Website

bones977 wrote:

mongoose know your roots documentary out next month!!!! smile

http://vimeo.com/27661379

Cool thanks for the link. wink

I'm looking for the following frames, frame & forks or completes by BMX products:
MotoTrac (nickle or chrome), Racer-X or a Super-X (with the double gussets).
Thanks wink
I'm also johnng23604 at "Retro-goose", "VintageBMX" & "RADbmx"

Board footer

View Cart →