You are not logged in.

Shortage of 48 spoke cassette wheels.....  RSS Feed

#1 2011-11-25 1:19pm

DrakesFolly

Shortage of 48 spoke cassette wheels.....

I've been searching all the major BMX mail order/online shops and I have to ask. What happened to all the 48 spoke wheels that are worth buying? I want a cassette wheel....I want a chrome double wall rim. Just like it used to be. Any of you guys remember cleaning your Super Pro 48s with Simple Green in order to promote the best braking action? I do.

It seems so much has changed. I build a SWEET S&M Dirt Bike Classic back in 2007 that had some amazing parts on it. In that short amount of time from then to now all of those parts cease to exist. It had Odyssey 41 Thermal Cranks which were AWESOME! They don't make those anymore. It had Primo Hula Hoop 48 spoke rims (Chrome) with black spokes and the hubs were some type of 48H High Flange Primo hub that had slotted 14mm axles F&R and the rear hub was cassette. They were great wheels and a joy to roll on. Geesh, I didn't realize I'd get outta the sport for a few years only for it to change completely.

All I see are 36 spoke rims, 2-pc cranks, plastic pedals, internal headsets, mid BBs, pivotal posts/seats......and everything is light. Not "dissing" the new school guys at all, I'm just saying I remember when I rode 24/7. I built my S&Ms like a bomb shelter. Now all of those durable parts I remember have been replaced with what USED to be "racing" parts.

I'm trying to embrace as much of the new school parts as possible. But, for my upcoming Dirt Bike build I WANT 48 spoke, sealed, chrome cassette wheels.

I've got a Standard 125 Motocross dirt frame that will be built up light and strong with 36s, but I do like the 48s more for street (which will be the intended use of my Dirt Bike). Where did they go? hmm

Is there a dealer somewhere that sells lots of mid-school parts?

#2 2011-11-26 1:02pm

rcsnipe2000
Pro Member
For Sale: 1120
Website

Re: Shortage of 48 spoke cassette wheels.....

welcome to the new old school brother....your heavy tank bikes have been replaced. 48s are being phased out.. matching hub sets are being phased out. you buy em 1 at a time now. wheel sets come on completes, and if ya want your wheels to match, then ya have to build em yourself. even hubs with screw on freewheels are starting to be phased out, as al the kids want micro gearing.

as you see us os jubkes jonesing for the quality stuff from the 80s and paying dearly for it....your loved mid school is next, so get ready for it....its all still out there, ya just gatta find the person that has it used and restorable, or nos and pay what they want for it.

on a up side. the ns brothers will have it even worse then the os guys and the mid school guys. as most of the quality/high end ns stuff has to be purchased on line. so once its no longer made, there really isnt any so called old bike shops to go try to score from, simply because none of them stock anything and only want to order it for you on line. so that should be interesting to see in the next 10 to 15 years down the road.

gl on your search,
rc

I sell used parts! If you are looking for nos or dead mint parts, dont buy from me. If you are looking for used, usable parts. Im the guy ya want to buy from.

WILL TRADE FOR

snafu mobus or simular gyro , gold, red,or blue, sealed threadless headset gold, red, anno chain tensioners red, gold, or blue, anno v brakes gold or red, anno u brakes blue,gold, or red anno colored spoke nipples gold, red, or blue

#3 2011-11-26 2:42pm

BMXguy
Gamer
Bikes: 4

check my forsale I think they might be 48s hmm

I haven't been on in a while.

#4 2011-11-26 3:36pm

cdridesonly
Pro Member
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 1
Website

profile still sells the SS cassette hubs in 48 hole on their website, and I'm sure shops can order them.

rims..  I think the Primo Balance rims still come in 48, not sure on other rims out there.  Odyssey and Gsport rims I thought also but..

Promoter of the anti-big wheels campaign. (20" wheels only for everything, road, mtb, track, touring).

#5 2011-11-26 3:59pm

adamdawson
Pro MemberHoffman Overlord

the super pros of now are odyssey 7kas with profile hubs.

#6 2011-11-26 4:19pm

neon
IRON MAIDEN RULES

Dont remember cleaning with simple green ..but I do remember cleaning them with a wet knap from KFC and adding a little mt.dew to the rim.
Thought primo made some 48 cassett hubs ?

As of 1/09/2014

I dont authorize anyone permission to use my pictures...

#7 2011-11-26 4:54pm

adamdawson

simple green is the best on chromies smile

#8 2011-11-26 4:58pm

harlen
The Waco Kid
Bikes: 8
Website

48s are leaving and 14mm front wheels. Everythings getting stronger and lighter. The new fad is running big tires 2.35

46 year old New School BMX Rider
Old dog learning new tricks

#9 2011-11-26 5:07pm

adamdawson

big tires are nothing new tho

#10 2011-12-08 1:58am

DrakesFolly

Yeah, I rode in the late 90s...I joined the Army in 1999 (that was my last year of riding). My tires were 2.10 in the front and a 1.95 in the back....Primo V-Monsters on Peregrine Super Pros with a 16T ACS Claws FW. My Sprocket was a 44T Profile Ripsaw in Black. I ran Chrome 175mm Torker 3pc cranks with Primo Super Tenderizer pedals (Black). F&F were a 1996 Chrome S&M Dirt Bike/Chrome Pitchforks. I did an AWESOME job painting the frame Hazmat Yellow...Krylon RULES!

My Stem was a Blue 1 1/8" Redneck with a Red front (from a Red...Redneck). I had a cool Red Playboy bunny sticker I got from my friend (now wife) Cara that she used to use to tan with (it left a cool tanline of a playboy bunny on her....NICE! I ran a modified Jody Donnelly (sp?) "D-Cup" that my homie "Vander" (see the tail end of S&M Video 4 to watch Vander ride!) modified in metal shop for it to fit my Dirt Bike frame. He had to cut some of the top off then add a chamfer.

I had a Primo Rod seatpost, Peregrine double seat clamp and a Primo Hemorrhoid seat. Dia-Compe AD990 brakes in Silver....MX99 lever bent out! Chrome "Dancing Man" Slam Bars with stretched ODI Longnecks and red donuts. It was DIALED. That bike was smooth and a blast to ride. Didn't even make a sound when I landed off anything. Just smooth. It really wasn't too heavy either even though it was a "tank". No more than 25-26 pounds at the most.

I just won an Odyssey VIII 48 spoke rear wheel off the UK eBay....it is a "project" wheel. It will basically need to be relaced into a fresh rim. The chrome is destroyed on the Ody rim so I will likely have to order a new rim/spokes/fresh driver and have it all laced up. I got it for less than 20 Pounds (I don't have the English symbol for money on my US keyboard! Lulz!)

Prior to this I won a brand new Mosh Freedom 48 hub laced to a new Sun Big City rim (Chrome) with black spokes. I can see some of the advancements that the "New School" riders are bringing to the table. But honestly....not that much of it is really "new". Integrated Headsets have actually been around for quite some time....just not used in the BMX realm. Chris King blogged about how they really don't offer any weight savings/strength advantages when compared to traditional headsets. It is basically a more "streamlined" "slammed" look more than anything.

I will probably get a "New School" frame just to try out the new stuff for myself....but it isn't going to make me put my mid school stuff away. I personally think the integrated/internal headset stuff is kinda trivial, but I do like the Mid BB! That is nice because it eliminates the old aluminum cups that often got beat up from being removed (most of the time the wrong way....all we ever had was a hammer/punch!). So, the Mid BB cures that issue.

The lighter/stronger 4130 IS a plus, but I think Chris Moeller sums it up the best on S&Ms website (speaking about the remake of the Challenger Stem) " The Challenger stem is back friends... and yes, it's exactly the same as the original. So obviously, this hunk of awesome is much too heavy for you new-school-weight-whores at 12.8 oz. Any heavier and you might get too buff from the work out and be unable to fit in your sister's jeans...bummer, I know." lol He's right though....so bikes these days are a little bit lighter. That doesn't really mean much to us older riders....to most of us that sort equates to "Less weight=Race stuff" therefore must not be strong enough for street/dirt. I understand that ISN'T the case most of the time (a good example would be SBC....their frames are made of freaking Unobtainium for crying out loud, SUPER strong) but I have seen lots of other bike frame (New School) that broke where older (Mid School) frames wouldn't have....at least as easily.

I have a 1998 Standard 125MX that I'm going to build up as light as possible without dipping into "race" parts. So yeah, I want to shave some weight but I don't want to sacrifice what I think of when I think of "strength". My first mission is to lose some weight myself! lol I'm 31 now (although I still feel like I'm 19) so the effects of marriage/kids/stress has taken it's toll on my weight. Then, it's getting into riding shape again...looking to get into DJing in a major way. Street too.

Anyway I plan on posting some threads of my builds once I get the chance....I'm stuck in England right now. Won't be back in the USA for a few more months. Bummer. sad

Board footer

View Cart →