Im new and i need suggestions on getting a bike  RSS Feed

#1 2011-10-18 8:25pm

dannumbertwo
Museum Newbie

Im new and i need suggestions on getting a bike

Hey everyone, been browsing this forum for a couple days and you all seem pretty knowledgeable and informative. I want to try freestyle riding, but I don't know what to get. I don't like wal-mart and I'm feeling you guys don't much like wal-mart either, as I've seen a lot of talk about how they make things harder for the LBS. I'm looking at used bikes on craigslist and I'd like your suggestions on bikes or brands to look out for. I'd like to get into freestyle/street riding and I want a rugged frame that wont be useless when I want to start upgrading things later down the road. Any direction is much appreciated

#2 2011-10-18 8:27pm

Ghostzapper
Pro Member
Bikes: 1
For Sale

Re: Im new and i need suggestions on getting a bike

How tall are you, how much do you weigh, what kind of riding are you planning on doing?

"I'm just an average guy with exceptional hair.  Nothing more, nothing less." --Kenny Powers

WTB: 1987 Group 1

#3 2011-10-18 8:32pm

blownsnow
Pro Member
Bikes: 2
For Sale

dannumbertwo wrote:

Hey everyone, been browsing this forum for a couple days and you all seem pretty knowledgeable and informative. I want to try freestyle riding, but I don't know what to get. I don't like wal-mart and I'm feeling you guys don't much like wal-mart either, as I've seen a lot of talk about how they make things harder for the LBS. I'm looking at used bikes on craigslist and I'd like your suggestions on bikes or brands to look out for. I'd like to get into freestyle/street riding and I want a rugged frame that wont be useless when I want to start upgrading things later down the road. Any direction is much appreciated

like you said you dont like walmart. BUT  they have the  DK cincnatey for a good price  and its set up for street riding for a great price  the dk frame is solid so it would be a great bike to upgrade and DK  is still a top bmx name regardless of selling bikes at walmart.  they are getting ready to release a magnizium bmx race frame.

Built to ride. What good is a bike if you dont ride it, no matter how nice or rare if you have it RIDE IT!
NOS is not once mounted or show built. NOS is never mounted or built!
Support your local track!! STARCITYBMX.COM

#4 2011-10-18 8:33pm

badbill
Pro MemberBanned
Bikes: 7
For Sale

Ghostzapper wrote:

How tall are you, how much do you weigh, what kind of riding are you planning on doing?

ya fahgot How much money ya got??

I don't know any of these clowns

#5 2011-10-18 8:34pm

dannumbertwo
Museum Newbie

Sorry, forgot to put that in. I'm 22 years old, 5'9" and 175 pounds. I'd like to do freestyle and street riding mostly.

#6 2011-10-18 8:40pm

blownsnow
Pro Member
For Sale

dannumbertwo wrote:

Sorry, forgot to put that in. I'm 22 years old, 5'9" and 175 pounds. I'd like to do freestyle and street riding mostly.

i am telling you try http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng … nstraint=0  check out the cincinnati  great price for a begner

Built to ride. What good is a bike if you dont ride it, no matter how nice or rare if you have it RIDE IT!

#7 2011-10-18 8:49pm

dannumbertwo
Museum Newbie

Is there any big difference between the Cincinnati and the Cleveland? My friend said to try to find something with a chrome-moly frame and thats what the Cleveland has. Are these bikes wal-mart only or could I find them at an LBS too?

#8 2011-10-18 8:53pm

psychoduddycycles
WAYYYY in the red since 1983
Bikes: 9

Depending on where you live, CL can be gold or dirt for BMX. Cali, Colorado or Mass CL you got to be quick on the draw to find something good. New Orleans CL is tumbleweeds.... lol

I see alot of decent used Easterns and Haros on east coast CL's on the cheap.

My signature doesn't define me.

#9 2011-10-18 8:53pm

badbill
Pro MemberBanned
For Sale

incredible deal! wal-mart is bad-ass. it's the only place where you can buy milk, boxers, a shotgun, a dk and a sidehack. oh and cat food.

#10 2011-10-18 9:00pm

dannumbertwo
Museum Newbie

Thanks for your help guys. Also, whats all this business about new school vs old school on here? I really never paid much attention to bmx bikes until the last couple months so I don't have any kind of background.

#11 2011-10-18 9:03pm

badbill
Pro MemberBanned
For Sale

dannumbertwo wrote:

Thanks for your help guys. Also, whats all this business about new school vs old school on here? I really never paid much attention to bmx bikes until the last couple months so I don't have any kind of background.

i think it has to do with the baby boomers hating on generation x.

#12 2011-10-18 9:44pm

blownsnow
Pro Member
For Sale

< GEN X  lol    new school bs old school is pretty much nothing here. everyone has there own prefrences and thats all thats about. as for bikes you can find new to old here for sale.

as for the dk's from walmart they are both great bikes for the price!  also you can order those exact bikes from a lbs or dk but you get the option of sealed bearings and some other little things for like $100-$250 extra.   best bet go with walmart and upgrade yourself.  at your own pace would be cheaper

#13 2011-10-18 9:50pm

Dirty Habits
Banned
Bikes: 38

Top 10 BMX Companies

These are the top 10 BMX companies.

10.  2 Hip Bikes

Two hip bikes are probably the most underrated bmx company out there because not allot of people heard of them and barely anyone has rode their bikes. Overall they have very strong and durable bikes.

9. Kink Bikes

Kink bikes are good but ain't great. I think of Kink bikes as a bike that will last a long time for a cheap price.

8. Subrosa

Subrosa bikes have a big following and for a good reason as they really stepped it up this year with their 2010 models. So overall if your going to get a subrosa check out the Pandora as thats one sick bike.

7. Hoffman

Everyone says that huffman bikes have turned into the cheap "kid" bikes and honestly that's partly true. Hoffman still has some sick bikes but it seems as time went on they began to target all the kids. Overall These are good bikes for a cheap price but some of these bikes have really weak frames.

6. DK Bikes

DK is a reputable company, they are considered middle level entry bikes and can be pretty good. They're usually a bit heavy (28 pounds in considered light for a DK) but overall if you need a new bike check out DK.

5. Haro Bikes

I love haro bikes and that's because I grew up with them. With haro the more you pay the more you get. Overall they are great bikes and I would recommended one to anyone.

4. Stolen Bikes

I recommend you getting a stolen if you are just starting to do bmx as they are great bikes for beginners. Overall they are cheap,lightweight, and most importantly durable.

3. Eastern Bikes

Eastern Bikes, one of the most respected BMX bike companies, has now ventured into the world of 24" and 26" bikes. all of their models are pretty cheap and everything they make is strong so if you want a good bike check out Eastern Bikes.

2. Fit Bikes Co.

Fit bikes are one of the best bikes you can buy. They have great prices and, they also do allot of sizes, looks, and parts so you will always end up "fitting" you perfectly. Pun aside overall if your looking for a good bike make sure to check fit out.

1. We The People

We the people bikes are both amazing and sick they are also a fan favorite with a huge cult following. Go on any BMX forum and start a topic about the best BMX company and I guarantee you that one person will say We the People. Why you ask? Because the look cool,they are durable, and honestly so many people like them that it gives all their bikes a huge hype.

Last edited by Dirty Habits (2011-10-18 9:51pm)

#14 2011-10-18 9:53pm

psychoduddycycles
WAYYYY in the red since 1983

If you want the same exact bike that every lower-middle class 14yo is going to have come christmas time.... by all means get a DK from wal-mart. lol

or wait 'til Christmas 2012 and pick one out of the trash..

My signature doesn't define me.

#15 2011-10-18 10:00pm

Cracked another frame
Pro MemberChupacabra Rancher
For Sale

For Sale: NOS  Pre Walmart General Lee 24  lol

"It would appear that the strain was more than he could bear."
          Doc Holliday: [after killing Johnny Ringo]

#16 2011-10-18 10:15pm

USFBull
South Florida Freak!

badbill wrote:

incredible deal! wal-mart is bad-ass. it's the only place where you can buy milk, boxers, a shotgun, a dk and a sidehack. oh and cat food.

lollollol

not a fan--Kyle Idleman

#17 2011-10-18 11:10pm

brandonbig
Pro Member
Bikes: 5
For Sale

Dirty Habits wrote:

Top 10 BMX Companies

10.  2 Hip Bikes

Two hip bikes are probably the most underrated bmx company out there because not allot of people heard of them and barely anyone has rode their bikes. Overall they have very strong and durable bikes.

9. Kink Bikes

Kink bikes are good but ain't great. I think of Kink bikes as a bike that will last a long time for a cheap price.

8. Subrosa

Subrosa bikes have a big following and for a good reason as they really stepped it up this year with their 2010 models. So overall if your going to get a subrosa check out the Pandora as thats one sick bike.

7. Hoffman

Everyone says that huffman bikes have turned into the cheap "kid" bikes and honestly that's partly true. Hoffman still has some sick bikes but it seems as time went on they began to target all the kids. Overall These are good bikes for a cheap price but some of these bikes have really weak frames.

6. DK Bikes

DK is a reputable company, they are considered middle level entry bikes and can be pretty good. They're usually a bit heavy (28 pounds in considered light for a DK) but overall if you need a new bike check out DK.

5. Haro Bikes

I love haro bikes and that's because I grew up with them. With haro the more you pay the more you get. Overall they are great bikes and I would recommended one to anyone.

4. Stolen Bikes

I recommend you getting a stolen if you are just starting to do bmx as they are great bikes for beginners. Overall they are cheap,lightweight, and most importantly durable.

3. Eastern Bikes

Eastern Bikes, one of the most respected BMX bike companies, has now ventured into the world of 24" and 26" bikes. all of their models are pretty cheap and everything they make is strong so if you want a good bike check out Eastern Bikes.

2. Fit Bikes Co.

Fit bikes are one of the best bikes you can buy. They have great prices and, they also do allot of sizes, looks, and parts so you will always end up "fitting" you perfectly. Pun aside overall if your looking for a good bike make sure to check fit out.

1. We The People

We the people bikes are both amazing and sick they are also a fan favorite with a huge cult following. Go on any BMX forum and start a topic about the best BMX company and I guarantee you that one person will say We the People. Why you ask? Because the look cool,they are durable, and honestly so many people like them that it gives all their bikes a huge hype.

Hey Dirty. You forgot one.

#18 2011-10-18 11:30pm

Therealpoorboy
Intermediate
Bikes: 8

There's a new freestyle quadangle on the bay for a good deal.  At least it has some style and won't look like it came from walmart.

WANTED:  Auburn prototype 20" frame (longshot I know)

#19 2011-10-18 11:46pm

spyker
BMXer 4 Life

Dirty Habits wrote:

Top 10 BMX Companies

10.  2 Hip Bikes

9. Kink Bikes

8. Subrosa

7. Hoffman

6. DK Bikes

5. Haro Bikes

4. Stolen Bikes

3. Eastern Bikes

2. Fit Bikes Co.

1. We The People

This list is so wrong.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength

Would you trust a lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?

#20 2011-10-19 5:52am

Murphys Law
"Tahoe Troubadour"

heres a sweet freestyle quad with crmo in it ... and even better it isnt from walmart! lol
Ed at planet bmx rocks!

http://www.planetbmx.com/shop/complete- … _1056.html

#21 2011-10-19 5:58am

Leatherman
AdminGone Fishin.....
For Sale
Website

spyker wrote:

Dirty Habits wrote:

Top 10 BMX Companies

10.  2 Hip Bikes

9. Kink Bikes
8. Subrosa
7. Hoffman
6. DK Bikes
5. Haro Bikes
4. Stolen Bikes
3. Eastern Bikes
2. Fit Bikes Co.
1. We The People 

This list is so wrong.

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu257/markus69_bucket/Amen-Brother.jpg

If you need to contact me directly feel free to do so at 250 565 8585

I'm chillin on a dirt road, Laid back swervin like i'm George Jones.
Smoke rollin out the window with an ice cold beer in the console.

#22 2011-10-19 7:42am

i grind

Check out "FIT" bikes.....  They got a good mix of styles, like fixed seat post or proper seat post. and even have similar bikes at different price points. so you can get a style,color, and price on what you want. something for everybody.  smile also,KINK bikes are a good starter that you can upgrade later (insert STANDARD frame here)...tongue

"hey kid, put yo seat up!"

#23 2011-10-19 8:36am

Roy Munson
Pro Memberg'd up from the feet up.
For Sale

Sunday, fit, Wtp. For completes

#24 2011-10-19 1:39pm

dannumbertwo
Museum Newbie

Wow a lot of people replied! Thanks for your info guys. Is there a general rule about these companies, like, if a company is rider owned can I automatically expect their stuff to be good? Are there any bikes or brands I should specifically stay away from?

#25 2011-10-19 1:47pm

mike cole
Museum Newbie

Get a name brand BMX bike from craigs list. You can get a better bike for a cheap bike price. Go to BMXPlus website, they have an article on buying used bmx bikes.

Board footer