New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?  RSS Feed

#1 2011-06-27 3:12pm

Coco
Pro MemberMore Fun Than a Hutch Thread
From: Saskatchewan
Registered: 2011-03-03
Posts: 5115
For Sale

New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

I e-mailed the folks at CW a while back about on-line ordering and asked about a cruiser frame. The guy that got back to me mentioned a Phase 1 cruiser may be coming out soon. I'd sure like to see a standard cruiser frame.

Anyone here know or are hooked up with the guys behind the new CW? I would really love a cruiser frame and fork, but not a phase 1.

Is there talk of a cruiser frame and fork set in the works? Can anyone spill the beans? I've e-mailed them over a week ago about it but have not had a response yet. Maybe I'll shoot them off another e-mail today and hopfully someone may be able to tell me something.

Offline

 

#2 2011-06-27 3:19pm

gaijin
Resident Hutch Hater
From: Orlando, FL
Registered: 2007-04-24
Posts: 10665
Bikes: 18

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

I'm friends with Juan and comfortable with Jeff.  I've never heard either talk about doing anything other than a Phase 1 cruiser.


avatar photo copyright 2012 asklite

Things I need:  Chrome MX-900s and Tech 3 (rear), 1st or 2nd gen finned Mathauser pads with original hardware.

Offline

 

#3 2011-06-27 4:26pm

brewharriah
live in sin for the win!!!
From: Vantucky, Washington USA
Registered: 2010-11-02
Posts: 2978
Bikes: 22

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

man I'd love a phase I cruiser... what the hell is wrong with you Coco?!?!


"I don't care about your feelings. Pain and torment's what you'll get!!!"

Offline

 

#4 2011-06-27 8:09pm

Coco
Pro MemberMore Fun Than a Hutch Thread
From: Saskatchewan
Registered: 2011-03-03
Posts: 5115
For Sale

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

brewharriah wrote:

man I'd love a phase I cruiser... what the hell is wrong with you Coco?!?!

I want to ride it a lot. I had a Phase 1 as a kid and well, it broke and I'd prefer a regular frame. Oh well. Figured I'd check before buying something.

Offline

 

#5 2011-06-27 8:27pm

brewharriah
live in sin for the win!!!
From: Vantucky, Washington USA
Registered: 2010-11-02
Posts: 2978
Bikes: 22

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

man you'd have to do some serious damage to break a frame like that now...


just rode my Quad 24 around the block and you wouldnt believe what I found!


"I don't care about your feelings. Pain and torment's what you'll get!!!"

Offline

 

#6 2011-06-27 8:34pm

Coco
Pro MemberMore Fun Than a Hutch Thread
From: Saskatchewan
Registered: 2011-03-03
Posts: 5115
For Sale

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

brewharriah wrote:

man you'd have to do some serious damage to break a frame like that now..

The Kappa phase one tributes have held up but did or do they really get ridden? I'm unsure. Maybe I assume the Z will be a weak point like the original and besides, I would just prefer a regular frame.

Offline

 

#7 2011-06-27 8:51pm

StillRidin'
Museum Addict
From: Northern, KY
Registered: 2008-09-08
Posts: 1331
Bikes: 26

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

If I were in the market for a CW cruiser, I'd want a normal one too. Not only because I too would worry about the Phase 1's strength (even though I'm sure these days they'd be much stronger).. but mainly because I really don't care for the frame design.
Don't kill me. big_smile


Ex-girlfriend: "I wish your eyes lit up when you look at me, like they do when you look at that bike."
  TRUE STORY

[img]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n285/celticheat10/ga-inv-2010_05.jpg[/img]

Offline

 

#8 2011-06-27 8:56pm

brewharriah
live in sin for the win!!!
From: Vantucky, Washington USA
Registered: 2010-11-02
Posts: 2978
Bikes: 22

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/2235934_f260.jpg


"I don't care about your feelings. Pain and torment's what you'll get!!!"

Offline

 

#9 2011-06-28 8:00am

Coco
Pro MemberMore Fun Than a Hutch Thread
From: Saskatchewan
Registered: 2011-03-03
Posts: 5115
For Sale

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

StillRidin' wrote:

If I were in the market for a CW cruiser, I'd want a normal one too. Not only because I too would worry about the Phase 1's strength (even though I'm sure these days they'd be much stronger).. but mainly because I really don't care for the frame design.
Don't kill me. big_smile

I'm with you. I'm simply over the Z frame. I love it for the sake of nostalgia and my memories of me having one, but if I had a choice I would not buy a new one unless that is all that is available.

Last edited by Coco (2011-07-07 10:32am)

Offline

 

#10 2011-07-07 10:29am

Coco
Pro MemberMore Fun Than a Hutch Thread
From: Saskatchewan
Registered: 2011-03-03
Posts: 5115
For Sale

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

So no dice on a regular frame BUT, is there a tentative date that the phase 1 cruiser may be introduced? I still have had no e-mails returned by CW yet. maybe someone here has an inside scoop?

Last edited by Coco (2011-07-07 10:30am)

Offline

 

#11 2011-07-07 10:46am

BMX-Addicts
Pro Member
From: Miami, FL
Registered: 2008-03-05
Posts: 1561
Bikes: 2
For Sale
Website

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

Coco, please check your spam folder and/or the address used to contact us, I usually reply to all messages within 3 hours of receipt.

We are not planning on making a regular CW Racing straight cruiser frame set, sad to say, but there is just not enough demand to justify the expense.

Currently working on the Phaze 1 cruiser (Which will have a reinforced Z using a higher diameter down tube) and also on the Buff Trick Kit, they should be for sale by the end of Fall season.


(Ugh....  Post 666  >>>> Shudders <<<<)

Last edited by BMX-Addicts (2011-07-07 10:53am)

Offline

 

#12 2011-07-07 10:53am

Coco
Pro MemberMore Fun Than a Hutch Thread
From: Saskatchewan
Registered: 2011-03-03
Posts: 5115
For Sale

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

BMX-Addicts wrote:

Coco, please check your spam folder and/or the address used to contact us, I usually reply to all messages within 3 hours of receipt.

We are not planning on making a regular CW Racing straight cruiser frame set, sad to say, but there is just not enough demand to justify the expense.

Currently working on the Phaze 1 cruiser (Which will have a reinforced Z using a higher diameter down tube) and also on the Buff Trick Kit, they should be for sale by the end of Fall season.

Cool and thanks. Nothing in my spam folder so who knows what happend. I thought it odd too having no response.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye out for the Phase 1 frame sets in the fall. I'll suck it up and ride a Phase 1 again, except this time a 24". Maybe black or smoke chrome this time.

Any idea of what the top tube length will be?

Last edited by Coco (2011-07-07 10:54am)

Offline

 

#13 2011-07-07 11:00am

daygogt96
Pro Member
From: San Diego, CA
Registered: 2008-05-15
Posts: 3919
Bikes: 16
For Sale

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

BMX-Addicts wrote:

Coco, please check your spam folder and/or the address used to contact us, I usually reply to all messages within 3 hours of receipt.

We are not planning on making a regular CW Racing straight cruiser frame set, sad to say, but there is just not enough demand to justify the expense.

Currently working on the Phaze 1 cruiser (Which will have a reinforced Z using a higher diameter down tube) and also on the Buff Trick Kit, they should be for sale by the end of Fall season.


(Ugh....  Post 666  >>>> Shudders <<<<)

Saving already for the Buff Trick kit, big_smile


"How much could you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight?"
- Tyler Durden

[img]http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/orjr101/bw-sanD-faction.gif[/img]

Offline

 

#14 2011-07-07 11:03am

BMX-Addicts
Pro Member
From: Miami, FL
Registered: 2008-03-05
Posts: 1561
Bikes: 2
For Sale
Website

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

We are still working on three different sets of blue prints and the final geometry has not been decided yet.

The Custom Works BMX  Facebook page is your best source to find any updates and news on the progress http://www.facebook.com/groups/115900388428424

Last edited by BMX-Addicts (2011-07-07 11:03am)

Offline

 

#15 2011-07-07 11:17am

13thoni
Pro MemberNeeds BMX Intervention
From: Richmond, VA
Registered: 2007-04-15
Posts: 6177
For Sale
Website

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

i own a kappa phaze 1 24" replica.. i rode it at the philly ride and at the time i was at over 300 pounds... when i grab a bike for any type of riding.. its that one.. and have had ZERO issues with it.. on the other hand .. my old cw phaze 1 does not get ridden hard and not by me at all.. i do not trust its durability.. but my new cw hollywood.. id trust it to do any kind of riding... when the new cw phaze 1 24" comes out.. i may get one..i love the new cw products and will do my best to support the cause! big_smile


Black Widow/Nomad
looking for :Kappa products.. i have cranks..and a 24" KZ .. want more kappa stuff for it!

Offline

 

#16 2011-07-07 11:55am

Coco
Pro MemberMore Fun Than a Hutch Thread
From: Saskatchewan
Registered: 2011-03-03
Posts: 5115
For Sale

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

13thoni wrote:

i love the new cw products and will do my best to support the cause! big_smile

Their stuff does indeed look to be top shelf product and I'll do likewise. Support the new CW when I can.

Offline

 

#17 2011-07-07 1:50pm

John De Bruin
Pro Member
From: Wiscaaansin
Registered: 2008-01-24
Posts: 1720
For Sale
Website

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

13thoni wrote:

i own a kappa phaze 1 24" replica.. i rode it at the philly ride and at the time i was at over 300 pounds... when i grab a bike for any type of riding.. its that one.. and have had ZERO issues with it.. on the other hand .. my old cw phaze 1 does not get ridden hard and not by me at all.. i do not trust its durability.. but my new cw hollywood.. id trust it to do any kind of riding... when the new cw phaze 1 24" comes out.. i may get one..i love the new cw products and will do my best to support the cause! big_smile

The Kappa Z 20" frame was pushing 6 lbs., and the vintage Phaze 1 frames were probably around 4 lbs., so there is a big difference in construction there.

Juan, I'd be up for a Phaze 1 20" and 24", so here's my $.02...

Typical vintage down tubes were .049", so I'd keep the diameter but go up to .065" thickness. Keep thinwall everywhere else. Bump the stays from 5/8" diameter to 3/4". The Kappa Z 20" and 24" geometry looked great, so work from that.

Serial # 001 of each would be great, w/LBB. Thanks



lol

Offline

 

#18 2011-07-07 1:55pm

Coco
Pro MemberMore Fun Than a Hutch Thread
From: Saskatchewan
Registered: 2011-03-03
Posts: 5115
For Sale

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

John De Bruin wrote:

13thoni wrote:

i own a kappa phaze 1 24" replica.. i rode it at the philly ride and at the time i was at over 300 pounds... when i grab a bike for any type of riding.. its that one.. and have had ZERO issues with it.. on the other hand .. my old cw phaze 1 does not get ridden hard and not by me at all.. i do not trust its durability.. but my new cw hollywood.. id trust it to do any kind of riding... when the new cw phaze 1 24" comes out.. i may get one..i love the new cw products and will do my best to support the cause! big_smile

The Kappa Z 20" frame was pushing 6 lbs., and the vintage Phaze 1 frames were probably around 4 lbs., so there is a big difference in construction there.

Juan, I'd be up for a Phaze 1 20" and 24", so here's my $.02...

Typical vintage down tubes were .049", so I'd keep the diameter but go up to .065" thickness. Keep thinwall everywhere else. Bump the stays from 5/8" diameter to 3/4". The Kappa Z 20" and 24" geometry looked great, so work from that.

Serial # 001 of each would be great, w/LBB. Thanks



lol

So what about top tube length JDB? Any requests? big_smile I'm hoping they do at least a 21.75" top tube. 22" would be perfect.

Offline

 

#19 2011-07-07 6:58pm

RCain
Pro Member
From: N.W.
Registered: 2009-10-13
Posts: 320
For Sale

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

brewharriah wrote:

just rode my Quad 24 around the block and you wouldnt believe what I found!

That it was as flexible as a Russian gymnast?

Offline

 

#20 2011-07-07 7:40pm

restoredude
Expert
From: Texas
Registered: 2008-11-30
Posts: 813
Bikes: 37

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

sure would be neat to pick your color wink

Offline

 

#21 2011-07-07 7:45pm

brewharriah
live in sin for the win!!!
From: Vantucky, Washington USA
Registered: 2010-11-02
Posts: 2978
Bikes: 22

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

RCain wrote:

brewharriah wrote:

just rode my Quad 24 around the block and you wouldnt believe what I found!

That it was as flexible as a Russian gymnast?

nope... that was the 20



I found a '80 goose original owner hanging in a neighbors garage



next question...


roll


"I don't care about your feelings. Pain and torment's what you'll get!!!"

Offline

 

#22 2011-07-07 10:34pm

Cb Lee
Pro Member
From: Omaha/CB
Registered: 2008-11-06
Posts: 1860
Bikes: 21
For Sale

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

Putting some loot aside already for the Phaze 1 cruiser. Even have a few parts stashed away for it too. big_smile

Offline

 

#23 2011-07-07 10:52pm

calismoooth
Pro MemberThe Slasher
From: Central, CA
Registered: 2009-04-17
Posts: 2257
Bikes: 69
For Sale
Website

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

can't wait for the Buff Trick Kit big_smile


[img]http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/calismoooth/DSC09971-Copy-Copy.jpg[/img]

Offline

 

#24 2011-07-08 1:14am

mroldskool
Expert
From: Melbourne, Australia
Registered: 2008-01-21
Posts: 563
Bikes: 51

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

I just hope you make enough Juan,  sounds like they will be Popular...

One for me please..  cool


mroldskool on here,  JMCGT elsewhere

Offline

 

#25 2011-08-10 8:22pm

jdtoldschool
Pro MemberEverybody Wants Some!!
From: Glen Allen, VA
Registered: 2011-07-17
Posts: 174
Bikes: 3
For Sale

Re: New CW cruiser frames. Are they in the works?

BMX-Addicts wrote:

Coco, please check your spam folder and/or the address used to contact us, I usually reply to all messages within 3 hours of receipt.

We are not planning on making a regular CW Racing straight cruiser frame set, sad to say, but there is just not enough demand to justify the expense.

Currently working on the Phaze 1 cruiser (Which will have a reinforced Z using a higher diameter down tube) and also on the Buff Trick Kit, they should be for sale by the end of Fall season.


(Ugh....  Post 666  >>>> Shudders <<<<)

Hey there... if you're making a list or thinking about taking pre-orders for a non-z cruiser, put me on it!!

Or, if you need a large person (6', 300+) to test the new Z-frame cruisers when they come out, I'll volunteer!!! lol I broke 2 20" z's bitd, so I would be reluctant to get a cruiser that I plan to race/ride if it's gonna break.

Have you thought about taking orders just to see how much demand there would be for a non-z cruiser? I'd be willing to put down a deposit as good faith. How many orders would you need to get to justify the expense?


Words to live by:
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." - James Dean
"Girls are like pianos. When they're not upright, they're grand." - Benny Hill
"I got a FEVER... and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!" - THE Bruce Dickenson
"Holy CRAP" - Frank Barone
"Do not taunt Happy-Fun Ball"

Offline

 

Board footer