You are not logged in.

Fast Man, lemme tell you my story man.  RSS Feed

#1 2011-04-06 8:10pm

forty_three
Museum Addict
Bikes: 4

Fast Man, lemme tell you my story man.

I did own one. I really did. And I had no idea how rare it was. But honestly, I wouldn't have cared. Before I found this site and learned how rare it really was, I still ached to have it back. I remember when we were cleaning out and I went through the shed. 2 General RL Pros? Gone. Schwinn Predator? Toss. 87 Sport that belonged to a buddy but was cracked? Yeah. Bye.

But I held her in my hands for a good hour. Remembering the times. Looking at the bent chain and seat stays. Thinking if it was possible to save her. When I let it go, I almost cried. Now I read the rarity of it and I know a lot of people read it and think how much it sucks that a bike that was one of 5 on earth made it to a landfill.

Imagine how I feel. That bike was one of one.

It all started when I had lived up to my end of a pretty big bargain with my Grandmother. I knew the reward, a Haro Master. I wanted the green one. I knew it was coming and I told Stu at Wheel Power to go ahead and get one. I was coming for it. I finally had the funds in hand, and I hopped on the  Schwinn Predator for the last time. I got there and they were building it. Except... it was pink. PINK. Stu apologized. Said he called the distributor and they wouldn't take it back. I wasn't sure. Then I stood over her.

You know that scene in Harry Potter where the "wand chooses the wizard". Yeah. I know what that felt like. At that point, I wouldn't have cared if it was covered in rhinocerous snot. I was taking it home.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5070/5596424553_013d21d114_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5268/5596424699_d95abbd80e.jpg

Back in those days, I was on the bike 16 hours a day. We had the Edgewood Bowl. We had trails, Lums Pond BMX. 45 minute drive up to ride with the Plywood Hoods. And riding that much, on pretty unforgiving surfaces, stuff broke. So you just bolted on a replacement and went on. Became a Franken-bike in a hurry. Exhibit A:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5221/5597049502_f431051b14.jpg

Ten minutes before that was taken, I bailed on a G-turn and detonated my back wheel. What you can't see is the Green Skyway with blue tire off of the photog's Redline.

That bike took me places. Got sponsored, did a lot of shows. Met a lot of really great people.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5225/5596466693_4ce81cf7a6.jpg

This picture is of my team and I (in my Haro Jersey) on the roof of the Wheel Power van at the Skyway show when some young kid name Mat Hoffman was the rookie sensation. In today's terms, it's crazy to think of the "money" that is up there. Mark's Trick Star. Ricks RL20-II. My Pink Haro. And the guy named Adam in the Pink Shirt. He went on to be known as Spike Jonze. Good times.

She befell her fate during a session at the Baltimore Inner Harbor with Jamie, John and Kevin from the Plywood Hoods. We'd been there ten minutes and I went for a 360 drop off the wall next to the steps in front of the Science Center. I landed it, but the back tire started rubbing. Couldn't adjust it. I realized then the whole rear triangle was bent. And the funny thing is, I was glad. Because it meant I could buy one of them new 87 Green/Mint Master F/F sets. I liked the newer foler pegs and wanted U-brakes. I was in the car on the way to Rockville within days.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5184/5597008038_07c7fc1d17.jpg
This is the Green one, weeks into it's life, hanging out with Dave's GT. Which will come back into the story later.

So, snap that frame into place and continue riding like I did. I eventually got sponsored by General, and the Green Haro went on the shelf. I tried two different ones, but truth be told, I never liked the General. It felt too tall to me. So when I started getting into that "I am riding to please myself" mode and not caring about shows and trophies and General told me to go away, I went back to the Haro. I went west for a while, even spending a week at the POW house with my friend Alan Foster and some guys he knew, like Chris Moeller and Dave Clymer. Best. Week. Ever.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5145/5596425043_4ae9e93315_z.jpg
That's her, hanging out in the back yard of the POW house.

After coming home from there, I was sure it was time to make a decision about my life. And that decision was "How fast can I get back to So Cal?". Went and got a haircut and a real job and told myself I was going back and making a career out of this thing. It was a major revelation for a guy who enjoyed Jam Circles more than contests, and threw away every trophy he ever won. I cracked the Green Haro early in the Summer of 91, and my Friend Dave gave me his GT. Wasn't riding as much then because I had a job managing a record store.

Then late in the Summer of 92 I had the career ending moment that I guess I knew was coming. I was at Landsdowne Skatepark, alone. Went for a can-can lookback over the hip and... learned that GT top tubes are higher than Haros... So, me and the GT got a ride in an ambulance. I guess. I woke up in the emergency room with my mom there. She had the bike. I rode it a few times after that but after dealing with my own insurance for once, and the prospects of being in that much pain agiain... I just lost my nerve. Still did a little flatland (and GTs were not good flatland bikes, IMO), but every time I went to leave the earth I just backed off. So in the winter of 92/93, the GT went into drydock. Time capsuled. Until a few months ago when I found this site, and decided to drag it out and start restoring it, partially inspired by my son and his friends who love hearing my stories. I am the cool old guy. Especially when I mention that I was firends with Alan and Brian Foster. The kid who has the Scwinn Brian Foster model thinks this is especially cool.

I still find it weird that a kid I knew is an action figure.

Last edited by forty_three (2013-08-07 8:34am)

I thrashed your grail, and I loved every second of it.

#2 2011-04-06 8:17pm

brackett
AdminAdministrator
Bikes: 15
For Sale: 1

Re: Fast Man, lemme tell you my story man.

cool Story. Keep em coming. smile

One thing that I have seen over and over on the BMXmuseum is members willing to tarnish the reputation of another member by leaving nasty feedback before trying to resolve a problem like a reasonable human being.

In my 6 plus years as a staff member , this pisses me off almost as much as a scammer.

#3 2011-04-06 8:20pm

YankeeJim
Pro Member27 & Counting...
Bikes: 3

Awesome tale!!!!

HELLTRACK BYLAW 812.3 BRAVO-
To be eligible, a rider must be sponsored by a company with at least $50,000 in sales.

#4 2011-04-06 8:21pm

Dan73

Great pics man and even better history to go with them

#5 2011-04-06 8:24pm

DIPSOMANIAC
AdminNot this cracker
For Sale: 7

Epic post,

Thanks for sharing.

I'm letting the liquor do the thinking.....

#6 2011-04-06 8:24pm

Metallicaloving13yearold
Mr.Hefner

Great story! cool

Religion is like a penis... It's fine to have one, It's fine to be proud of it, But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around, and please don't try to shove it down our throats

#7 2011-04-06 8:25pm

apocalypse dude
Pro Memberpro hater
Bikes: 2

that was one of the best posts ive read on here, awesome.

THIS IS A 90'S RARE GEM - MR. HOFFMAN, MR. HAWK AND MANY OTHER CELLEBRITIES WOULD BE PROUD TO HAVE THIS BIKE AMONG THEIR COLLECTION.

#8 2011-04-06 8:25pm

Cracked another frame
Chupacabra Rancher
Bikes: 7

Very cool story, welcome to the circus!

"It would appear that the strain was more than he could bear."
          Doc Holliday: [after killing Johnny Ringo]

#9 2011-04-06 8:29pm

GT/TINY
Mine Is So Teenie Tiny!

I DIDNT WANT THAT STORY TO EVER END!!!!!!!

G.H.P.= G.A.Y.   
BILL ALLEN/RAD ENTHUSIAST
WWCD= WHAT WOULD CRU DO

#10 2011-04-06 8:30pm

forty_three
Museum Addict

Thanks all, I've been having a blast reading here and looking at all the stuff.

I didn't quit bikes altogether, BTW. I just got on ones with bigger tires. I have a Haro VGF3 Hardtail Mountain bike and a Schwinn Peloton road bike.

I'm on the lookout for a Master frameset and a Cruiser. Probably gonna start racing again this summer at age 40.

It's funny, I always dug watching the Old Guy Cruiser class races. Now, I'm gonna be in 'em!

I'm creating some stills from a video we made at the Edgewood Bowl. I'll add them soon.

I thrashed your grail, and I loved every second of it.

#11 2011-04-06 8:30pm

surfer dude
Intermediate

Yeah cool story, there was alot happening here during that time period.
Those jams sessions man. I can never forget the ones that I was a part of.
some of my own personal favorite riding moments happened at those
cool stuff
cool

JUST LET ME RIDE!!!!

due to overwhelming requests and support:
IM BACKK...

#12 2011-04-06 9:31pm

Dan73

Newer Master or old Master? as ive seen alot of them on here and on Ebay lately  even more then were around in the 80's haha
tongue

#13 2011-04-06 9:47pm

dropddime
Pro Member
Bikes: 7

a man great post ! im also in columbus , i have a few old GTs if you wanna get out ride sometime let me know ...

dirty for thirty

#14 2011-04-07 12:56am

Acup4130

WOW!! wait WOW!!!!! this is definitely The best post on here! I had to reread twice to take in the EPIC! Do you have a name mystery man??Great story with pics ( So IT DID HAPPEN)
& a Pink Master to boot! (again with pics)! This is what this site should be all about, not the " im going to quit painting drama/whine" or the "mine is worth" or "he ripped me off (cuz I am a DA who allows myself to be ripped off)" thread. This is REAL! ride or show how you rode. Collecting is cool if you actually rode & were not just a dreamer/poser who could not afford what the "cool" kids had, Otherwise its just ghey& more poser than the first time. That all said this by far is the greatest thing I ever read on here
THANK YOU

#15 2011-04-07 1:06am

Acup4130

& Please pics of GT as it is now

#16 2011-04-07 1:30am

AllanG
Intermediate

Yeah thread of the year right here, this forum definitely needs an epic threads section to keep all this awesomeness in the one spot.

#17 2011-04-07 1:45am

ivoryRB
Bikes: 1

Great story. Love the photos make me wish I was born 15 years earlier big_smile

#18 2011-04-07 1:58am

buddhashenglong
Pro Member"torque monster"

No school like old school!

Check out the Eclipse Show on KGNU.org Sunday 7pm MST Old School New School True School hip hop
88.5 fm boulder 1390 am denver CO
Podcast available at afterfm.com/eclipse

#19 2011-04-07 3:50am

macr0w
Pro Member
Website

Have I read this before?

I feel like I'm having deja-vu.

big_smile

"My goal in life is to go into an office and take a brick in an office and put it next to a napkin in an office."

#20 2011-04-07 4:22am

Giginfrogg
Froggy
Bikes: 3

cool

If I owe you feedback PM me. My inbox is like a WAR zone.
Wanted: 26" Quadangle F/F 1" threaded version What ever it may be....

#21 2011-04-07 4:24am

shelloil23
Expert
Bikes: 16

Acup4130 wrote:

WOW!! wait WOW!!!!! this is definitely The best post on here! I had to reread twice to take in the EPIC! Do you have a name mystery man??Great story with pics ( So IT DID HAPPEN)
& a Pink Master to boot! (again with pics)! This is what this site should be all about, not the " im going to quit painting drama/whine" or the "mine is worth" or "he ripped me off (cuz I am a DA who allows myself to be ripped off)" thread. This is REAL! ride or show how you rode. Collecting is cool if you actually rode & were not just a dreamer/poser who could not afford what the "cool" kids had, Otherwise its just ghey& more poser than the first time. That all said this by far is the greatest thing I ever read on here
THANK YOU

so I guess since my parents could only afford a DB Silver Streak when I was a kid I'm a "poser" now because I buy all the bikes I wanted? (aka the bikes the "cool" kids had)
I'm 40 with a career and a family....sorry I can't ride all day like you! roll

Sorry to cut in with this, but that DA comment got me off track, GREAT story...it's amazing how much these bikes bring those memories back huh?

#22 2011-04-07 4:37am

macr0w
Pro Member
Website

shelloil23 wrote:

Acup4130 wrote:

THANK YOU

so I guess since my parents could only afford a DB Silver Streak when I was a kid I'm a "poser" now because I buy all the bikes I wanted? (aka the bikes the "cool" kids had)
I'm 40 with a career and a family....sorry I can't ride all day like you! roll

Sorry to cut in with this, but that DA comment got me off track, GREAT story...it's amazing how much these bikes bring those memories back huh?

+1

My poor old folks are still broke down poor.

I guess that makes me a poser too.

And them too for posing like they cared enough to help me get any kind of bike.

neutral

"My goal in life is to go into an office and take a brick in an office and put it next to a napkin in an office."

#23 2011-04-07 4:47am

Cache
Intermediate

Great story 43! Thx for posting.

Shelloil, I knew you back in the day. You were a poser then and a poser now. 'Mommy & daddy didn't buy you the cool bike'. If you re-read the story here, 43 worked a big bargain with his grandma. He worked for the bike. Worked hard I'd bet, and is all the more cool for his efforts. Sorry to add crap into an awesome thread, just calling it as I see it. L8r.

#24 2011-04-07 5:01am

crusher
Centurion Member

Very cool

*NEED BOB HARO VECTOR BARS PREFERABALLY IN WHITE*

#25 2011-04-07 5:10am

shelloil23
Expert
Bikes: 16

Cache wrote:

Great story 43! Thx for posting.

Shelloil, I knew you back in the day. You were a poser then and a poser now. 'Mommy & daddy didn't buy you the cool bike'. If you re-read the story here, 43 worked a big bargain with his grandma. He worked for the bike. Worked hard I'd bet, and is all the more cool for his efforts. Sorry to add crap into an awesome thread, just calling it as I see it. L8r.

oh really..from where?
I seemed to hold my own racing up to 15 expert...guess that's not real enough for you?
And my comment had nothing to do with 43...his story is the RIGHT way to get what you want..it's that other DA's remark I'm talking about
I'm pm'd you...you can take this there

Last edited by shelloil23 (2011-04-07 5:16am)

Board footer

View Cart →