1974 Western Flyer  RSS Feed

#1 2011-02-18 1:24am

cannedheatrm
Bikes: 15

1974 Western Flyer

http://bmxmuseum.com/image/100_1874_copy1.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/100_1873_copy0.jpg

1974 Western Flyer

Early BMX Conversion

This is my 12 year old sons bike. I have no clue where he found this frame... He told me, he wanted to build an Oold School Bmx bike, from when I was a kid. I had a set of old Troxel mags, forks, v-bars, and the old knobby tires off my Schwinn StingRay. Threw it all together, and there you go! He rode it around for quite awhile, grinning and laughing while he did. BMX sure has came along way since then... I even rode it to bring back a memory or two!

http://bmxmuseum.com/img/view-bike-in-museum.gif

When in Doubt... Knock'em Out.

#2 2011-02-18 3:08pm

myone
BMXer 4 Life
Bikes: 9

Re: 1974 Western Flyer

This is how we all got started . This style frame a ten speed seat, heavy duty rims and knoby tires.I had reguler h.bars until i snaped one side off on a landing. Im lucky the stem didnt go trough my chest and kill me. The side that broke off was as sharp as a razer i cut my hand changing the broken bars for a set of kent trail blazer bars.They worked out good until i finelly got my first bmx bike, wich was a kent trail blazer .the one with the warning label(not maid for jumping or trail rideing) But that dident stop me went to the trails that same day and it put up with all i gave it the only thing that broke were the pedals and those little pins that hold the cranx arms in place.Man the good ol days wish i could go back.

Everybody sing GOOOOO YANKEES !!!                      MAH!! COULD WE GET SOME MEATLOAF ??????????

Your gonna wear the shirt of the band your going to see??? DONT BE THAT GUY!!!!!!
R.I.P. Autmn Pasquale 12yrs. old you will not be forgotten. Murderd over BMX parts. UNFORGIVABLE.

#3 2011-02-18 4:50pm

cannedheatrm

I have a '67 StingRay, I've tried posting... Appearantly the pics aren't clear enough. I bought that bike when I was 7 (1978) for 5 bucks. It was behind a garage of a local doctors home. Had new tube installed and rode it... Few years later, I painted it orange, traided wheels for black coaster Troxel mags with big knobbys, apehangers for v-bars, and a ten speed seat (as you said). In 1999 or 2000, I painted it black. Took the mags, & seat off and put back on the factory parts (still had the wheels & bars) bought a brand new banana seat & tires. Then in 2009, I decided to strip it down to the metal, and paint it back to the original color (purple). Bought some reproduction, time correct waterslide decals, with help from the "Museum", Placed them in the correct location. It turned out really nice! That old Stingray has had many faces...lol

#4 2011-02-18 4:53pm

cannedheatrm

P.S. I use to have an old Kent... Had the "K" gusset, and was light blue. I broke the lower tube, just behind the headtube.

#5 2011-02-19 8:34am

myone
BMXer 4 Life

cannedheatrm wrote:

P.S. I use to have an old Kent... Had the "K" gusset, and was light blue. I broke the lower tube, just behind the headtube.

I had the same kent in yellow and red. Yo send me some pix of the sting rey i love them old bikes.

Everybody sing GOOOOO YANKEES !!!                      MAH!! COULD WE GET SOME MEATLOAF ??????????

Your gonna wear the shirt of the band your going to see??? DONT BE THAT GUY!!!!!!
R.I.P. Autmn Pasquale 12yrs. old you will not be forgotten. Murderd over BMX parts. UNFORGIVABLE.

#6 2011-02-19 9:00pm

myone
BMXer 4 Life

big_smile

#7 2012-03-08 5:55pm

pjbjr413
Centurion Member

Love the look, I just picked up a similiar Western Flyer frame and plan on doing the same type of build

Board footer

View Cart →