You are not logged in.

How to Install 3pc GT Power Series Cranks w/ Power Disc & Chain-ring  RSS Feed

#26 2012-03-11 10:32am

Rividude
BMXer 4 Life
Bikes: 2

Re: How to Install 3pc GT Power Series Cranks w/ Power Disc & Chain-ring

GT Builders Bump!!! cool

"If I died with a body that was not completely wrecked... I would feel like I completely Wasted it"
Matt "The Condor" Hoffman

#27 2012-03-11 10:52am

Axel10
BMX Archaeologist

Rividude - has this thread been added to wired's 'best of' thread? Any day I can learn something new is a good day - so thanks for that cool

If you think that you are too old to Rock & Roll - then you are.

#28 2012-03-11 12:47pm

Spankylips
Museum Addict
Bikes: 1

This is excellent info for noobs like me that are now putting there hands on these cranks for the first time. This def needs to be in the best of thread....

That bike's not going to make you rich. Ride it

#29 2012-03-11 2:40pm

Rividude
BMXer 4 Life

Axel10 wrote:

Rividude - has this thread been added to wired's 'best of' thread? Any day I can learn something new is a good day - so thanks for that cool

No I don't think so yet. But as far as I know he has had it mentioned to him along with a  few of my other threads on restoration etc...

"If I died with a body that was not completely wrecked... I would feel like I completely Wasted it"

#30 2012-03-12 10:35pm

LooseNut
Pro Member
For Sale: 1
Website

cool

It ain't a carpet queen cause ah.........    I don't have carpet.

PUNK PEGS Ambassador

#31 2012-05-19 6:14pm

wcacho
Museum Newbie

Thanks needed this post it helped so much.

#32 2012-08-18 9:05am

63v-dub
Pro MemberHi my name is Chris, and I am a Bike-a-holic
Bikes: 31

marked

Addiction? what Addiction? I'm not Addicted! Damn i keep buying  parts.             
[img]http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/orjr101/bw-sanD-faction.gif[/img]

#33 2012-09-11 11:53pm

TH1ST
Southside's Finest
Bikes: 10
Website

marked.

Babylon  Everyday . . .

#34 2014-02-26 11:33am

hot-j
Bikes: 3

How about a tutorial on how to adjust the cranks if say the disc teeth hit the frame or don't line up properly with the freewheel sprocket causing chain gnashing....?

Looking for NOS parts for 1990 Aggressor!  PM me with what you have! Need:NOS Black AME Grips, NOS black GT "winged" logo seat, Opposing bolt double seat clamp.  Show me parts, I show you $$$!!!

#35 2014-06-26 10:10am

GT-World-Tour-1986
Bikes: 5

Just wanted to say thanks for this post.  I finally got me a set of 86 175mm.  It's been about 20 years since I installed a set.  My drive side nut is also "frozen" on the spindle.  I tried like crazy to remove it, but I guess if they go on even, and everything is aligned correctly, there is no reason to remove/adjust it anyway.  My drive side chainwheel bolt is also frozen on, but like you said it doesn't need to be played with.  I like how it fits into the chainwheel anyway.  Instead of how some cranks (Primo Powerbites) make you screw it to the arm which usually makes the chainwheel wobble since it's pinched closer to the arm at that point.

Growing up is not the same as growing old.  What would you rather be?

#36 2014-06-26 10:14am

GT-World-Tour-1986

hot-j wrote:

How about a tutorial on how to adjust the cranks if say the disc teeth hit the frame or don't line up properly with the freewheel sprocket causing chain gnashing....?

If the sprocket is too close to the frame try to remove both arms, and adjust the spindle by threading it to one side more than the other.  If they are 100% even on both sides there should be no rubbing.  Also make sure all the parts are there.  Leaving a washer out can throw off the balance.  If you can post a pic of how close it is we can maybe help better.

#37 2014-06-26 3:51pm

Rividude
BMXer 4 Life

GT-World-Tour-1986 wrote:

Just wanted to say thanks for this post.  I finally got me a set of 86 175mm.  It's been about 20 years since I installed a set.  My drive side nut is also "frozen" on the spindle.  I tried like crazy to remove it, but I guess if they go on even, and everything is aligned correctly, there is no reason to remove/adjust it anyway.  My drive side chainwheel bolt is also frozen on, but like you said it doesn't need to be played with.  I like how it fits into the chainwheel anyway.  Instead of how some cranks (Primo Powerbites) make you screw it to the arm which usually makes the chainwheel wobble since it's pinched closer to the arm at that point.

Glad this is still working out for people. wink I had so many people as me over and over again that I finally made this post.

Congratz on 20 years and getting another set!!! coolcoolbig_smilebig_smile

#38 2014-06-26 3:55pm

Rividude
BMXer 4 Life

hot-j wrote:

If the sprocket is too close to the frame try to remove both arms, and adjust the spindle by threading it to one side more than the other.  If they are 100% even on both sides there should be no rubbing.  Also make sure all the parts are there.  Leaving a washer out can throw off the balance.  If you can post a pic of how close it is we can maybe help better.

Yup, good Info. If they are hitting the frame chances are the disc is warped or mounted improperly. Be sure it is on the spindle washer perfectly straight. Otherwise yes, adjust it from side to side. But I have never seen a set of Powerseries do that before. That is weird to me. hmm Maybe you have the spindle bolt in the opposite way? One side is a touch longer to accommodate the disc. Maybe you put it in backwards? So the short side is on the sprocket side now? Either way just play with it a little bit. You'll figure it out.

#39 2014-06-26 8:57pm

flythefriendlyskyway
Pro Member
Bikes: 16

big_smile

I NEED: 1986-88 Chrome ELF Pro Frame/Fork
I NEED: 24" Blue UKAI Speedline hoop or wheel--single or pair
I NEED: White Vinyl REDLINE Top Tube Pad--old, snap style in very good condition

#40 2016-03-03 4:56pm

Nyking21
Pro Member
For Sale: 16

I installed my cranks today thanks for you help!!!!http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/214728/image56d8dd31c4.jpeg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/214728/image56d8dd31c6.jpeg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/214728/image56d8dd31bd.jpeg

#41 2016-03-25 10:51pm

Rividude
BMXer 4 Life

Awesome!!! Glad I can still be an asset here and there.

#42 2016-08-21 3:30pm

lica1215
Pro Member
For Sale: 1

Hi I'm new at the 3pc cranks never installed some on my bikes I resently came across a set of power series cranks on a bucket I purchase of mixed bmx parts the bad thing is that only the crank arms were in there not the spindle is there another option to use or does it have to be the actual sr spindle and bearings if some one can help me out I will really  appreciate it thanks

#43 2016-08-24 10:54am

UPSMAN
Pro Member
For Sale: 5

Glad this thread is a permanent part of the site. Came in handy today!

A glass of beer shortens your life 1 hour,a glass of wine 2 hours, and a day of work 7 to 10 hours

I will not deal with member datsbad and either should you!

#44 2016-08-25 11:45pm

Rividude
BMXer 4 Life

UPSMAN wrote:

Glad this thread is a permanent part of the site. Came in handy today!

cool

#45 2017-06-04 3:26pm

GT-World-Tour-1986

Bump to this thread.  Question on the bearing size.  What size are they?  20mm? 22mm?  I ask because with the reproduction sets GT is making I'm wondering if their bearings will work with the old school cranks.  I know we can get 1pc bottom bracket bearings still (https://www.amazon.com/Tange-Set-1Pc-Bb … B002K2IFZS), but was just wondering if I ever wanted to replace the bearings only what size they are?  Even Dan's Comp has several American sizes (19/20/22) (https://www.danscomp.com/bmx/Parts/Bottom%20Brackets/), but no where I can find the size to these original Power Series.

#46 2017-10-30 4:14am

Kawasaki King
Pro Member

I'm gonna blow the dust off this old thread. It's had been a while, since removing these cranks on a restoration of my sons bike. I had the process backwards, trying to lock the power disc on between the bearing color and the nut on the "non drive" side as you explained.

Even without the pics working, your explanation made me quickly realize my simple mistake. 5 minutes later I'm all set.

Taking these bikes apart is easy, remembering all the simple and sometimes obvious things after a year, not so much. Thank you for this post. I thought I was going crazy.

Last edited by Kawasaki King (2017-10-30 4:15am)

It may simply be about the chase......

#47 2017-10-30 6:42am

jokerman13922
Pro MemberNo Pedals 4 U Tough Guy!
Bikes: 27

Bump to this thread.  Question on the bearing size.  What size are they?  20mm? 22mm?  I ask because with the reproduction sets GT is making I'm wondering if their bearings will work with the old school cranks.  I know we can get 1pc bottom bracket bearings still (https://www.amazon.com/Tange-Set-1Pc-Bb … B002K2IFZS), but was just wondering if I ever wanted to replace the bearings only what size they are?  Even Dan's Comp has several American sizes (19/20/22) (https://www.danscomp.com/bmx/Parts/Bottom%20Brackets/), but no where I can find the size to these original Power Series.

Original were 19mm

AHOLE LIST:----> KING AHOLE BRADDLPHNS, KING MINION TXBONER AND HIS QUEEN MINION BIRD AND LITTLE MINIONS, ICEMAN, PERRONT AND FRESH (AGAIN)! DYNOBMX, MY STEPSON LIL BMXER, NEW MEMBER GTbikesIlikes, robk131313!   except Kurt-rad, and Roy Munson, And itsdug

#48 2017-10-30 4:57pm

GT-World-Tour-1986

jokerman13922 wrote:

Original were 19mm

Thank you.

#49 2017-12-07 8:33pm

Rividude
BMXer 4 Life

Kawasaki King wrote:

I'm gonna blow the dust off this old thread. It's had been a while, since removing these cranks on a restoration of my sons bike. I had the process backwards, trying to lock the power disc on between the bearing color and the nut on the "non drive" side as you explained.

Even without the pics working, your explanation made me quickly realize my simple mistake. 5 minutes later I'm all set.

Taking these bikes apart is easy, remembering all the simple and sometimes obvious things after a year, not so much. Thank you for this post. I thought I was going crazy.

Glad My Threads are still helping... wink

#50 2017-12-07 10:51pm

xtremevert
Pro MemberThe Gate Keeper
Bikes: 16

Sucks that none of the how to pics show up anymore though because of photobucket.

My Father once spoke to me and said "The way you look at your bike is the way I see My children, I look past the imperfections and rough surfaces to the beauty of the finished product."

Board footer

View Cart →