1978 Redline Proline  RSS Feed

#1 2010-11-26 12:33am

bikemagn8
Pro Member
Bikes: 27
For Sale

1978 Redline Proline

http://bmxmuseum.com//image/100_0839_copy0.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com//image/100_0846.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com//image/100_0842.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com//image/100_0844.jpg

1978 Redline Proline

Classic '70s race bike

I purchased this frame new from the bike shop when I was a kid. The original Proline forks cracked and were discarded. The forks on this bike are Wald off an old pedicab. I painted and stickered them just for looks. I decided to build this up old school as I came across these tuff 1’s with Bendix coaster brake and Carlisle knobbys. Large uncut Redline V bars, MCS 6 bolt stem, Tange headset, Sugino Super Maxy cranks and KKT pedals. Fluted seat post, Mesenger seat, unknown SPC and Chainring is polished steel beauty I picked off a rusty old 70s cruiser.
This bike really rides nice with this setup, but I forgot how heavy those tuff 1s were! Now this bike is all 70's except for the grips. I’d like to put some alloys back on one day maybe some bullseye hubs but this is nice and different for now.

http://bmxmuseum.com/img/view-bike-in-museum.gif

I can't believe the way people mistreat bikes. It also amazes me how many people don't have any bikes and never ride them - poor miserable souls.

#2 2010-11-27 2:19pm

nycet3
Pro Member
Bikes: 4
For Sale

Re: 1978 Redline Proline

That's a very nice looking bike. I have no issues with the mongoose fork, however—and forgive me if I am way off—it looks to me like you have a microline frame, not a proline frame. If those forks are stock mongoose (as in the steering tube hasn't been augmented by at least an inch), I'd say you definitely have a microline.

Either way, it's very sweet. Joe

EDIT: Actually, the frame is looking Proline to me, but the forks are throwing me off.

EDIT AGAIN: plus, the seat stays are "single bend" like those of a Proline.

Now I must know who makes those forks? Schwinn? Cinelli?

Last edited by nycet3 (2010-11-27 2:39pm)

"Ride it like you're riding after the dude who stole it."

Looking for a USA-made pre 1981 Redline MXII f/f with original black paint and decals.

#3 2010-11-27 8:18pm

KenC
Pro Member
Bikes: 35
For Sale

It's a Proline, the forks look like late 80-81 Proline forks though without the cutout.

There's very few actual 77 Prolines around, Whats the serial number?

I'm looking for a clean 1975 Mongoose (long) frame, and a nice original finish Mongoose Two/Four

#4 2010-11-28 7:53pm

bikemagn8
Pro Member
For Sale

This frame is definitely a Proline with a 5" headtube. Serial # 07709. It turns out the forks are Wald. I got them off a kid back around 1980 and they had Mongoose stickers on them. But I had to cut 3/4" or so off the fork tube to fit the Redline. I think these forks were on some weird bike like a trike or pedicab. They were chrome plated and they have Wald stamped on them.

I can't believe the way people mistreat bikes. It also amazes me how many people don't have any bikes and never ride them - poor miserable souls.

#5 2010-11-28 8:13pm

KenC
Pro Member
For Sale

Do you remember what style head tube decal came on the bike? vertical or horizontal?

I see so many people claim they have a 77 but it is actually a lot newer, 7709 is a 77 but I'm pretty sure the 7709 is before the move to Chatsworth and would have had a horizontal decal, but the "0" in front of the 7709 would have been after the move. I know the serial numbers were in the upper 7000's to low 8000's at the time they moved from Northridge to Chatsworth, but I would like to pinpoint when it happened.

The Redline mystery continues.

I have a Chatsworth build 77 serial number 08434

I'm looking for a clean 1975 Mongoose (long) frame, and a nice original finish Mongoose Two/Four

#6 2010-11-29 4:08am

bikemagn8
Pro Member
For Sale

Thats also what I figured after researching the serial #. This bike came with a vertical headtube decal as far as I can remember and I also remember the box it came in said Chatsworth on it. Another kid in my neighborhood had a Proline and it had the horizontal decal. He had that bike in the summer of 77 and I didn't buy this one until winter. I am trying to find some old photos of the bike when it was first built to confirm all this. I think this one was made after the move.

#7 2010-11-29 6:17am

KenC
Pro Member
For Sale

bikemagn8 wrote:

Thats also what I figured after researching the serial #. This bike came with a vertical headtube decal as far as I can remember and I also remember the box it came in said Chatsworth on it. Another kid in my neighborhood had a Proline and it had the horizontal decal. He had that bike in the summer of 77 and I didn't buy this one until winter. I am trying to find some old photos of the bike when it was first built to confirm all this. I think this one was made after the move.

The "0" at the beginning of the serial pretty much confirms it was built in Chatsworth.

I have a list of Redline serial numbers but it is in a hard drive that crashed so I can't access it now, but from my memory, the latest Northridge built Redline I have listed in a 7500 or 7600 number which makes your Proline one of the earliest Chatsworth built Redlines I've seen.

Your friends Proline was probably one of the early ones with no gusset, I know of one locally with the serial number in the low 6000's and it's still owned by the original owner who raced it back in 77-80.

#8 2010-11-29 2:34pm

bikemagn8
Pro Member
For Sale

Funny you should mention the gusset. The frame he had was gusseted because he cracked the first one he had right at the stem tube and they sent him a replacement frame with gussets that still had the horizontal decal. This was in early 77 - the one he broke could have been a 76? Redline sent him a letter that I remember reading myself that stated that design changes were made to the frames based on what happened to his frame and others with the same problem. All this took place back in Chicago. I bought #07709 from Al's Cyclery in Buffalo Grove, IL. months later. It was the first one I ever saw with the vertical sticker. It could have been 78 when I bought it. I mail ordered the parts to build the bike and I remember riding the bike for the first few times in the snow because I couldn't wait for spring! I wish I still had the wheels - red C&G alloys with red Bullseye hubs.

#9 2012-05-09 6:27pm

Harobmxr
Museum Newbie
Bikes: 3

thats a nice RL ride!! gotta love the color!! I think my RL 300 should have those bars originally but not sure.

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!!

Board footer