1992 Cycle Craft Pro XXL  RSS Feed

#1 2009-09-08 8:16am

4130rider
Museum Newbie
Bikes: 2

1992 Cycle Craft Pro XXL

http://bmxmuseum.com/image/ccbmxtop.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/rad25_20110820_036.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/ccsidez.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/cc_copy1.jpg

1992 Cycle Craft Pro XXL

4130 Chromoly 21" toptube 4.47 lbs frame

CycleCraft has always had a reputation for quality frames, forks and bars.
Joe and Betty Martino started production in October 1984. Some of the fastest and best jumpers of the mid 80's and early 90's rode for CycleCraft. Rich "The Butcher" Bartlett and Brian Foster being two of the most notable. Sometime around 1990 Fred'Z bars and forks were made by Cyclecraft; They were named after Betty's cat because he was the epitome of "coolness"
I started racing around 1990 and Cyclecraft helped me out with a deep discount on product and after a few months welcomed me to the co-sponsorship team. Joe and Betty did a fantastic job of making the team feel like an extended family. (There was even a CycleCraft team 'Zine that went out to all the team riders)
In September of 1992 CycleCraft was sold to Terry “Shag” Shaughnessy and production was moved to Florida. On September 4, 2008, three investors from Central Florida, Patrick Deats, Ed MacKenzie, and Darin Moore purchased all physical and intellectual assets of the company from Terry “Shag” Shaughnessy. Shaughnessy had been the owner, heart and soul, and visionary for the company for the past twenty years.
That brings me to today..... I found a Cyclecraft XLX bike listed on craigslist.org about 2 weeks ago. (Bought it quick knowing I may not ever find another one.)
My original Cyclecraft was a Tennessee made XLX painted gloss black by Brian Foster in 1990. (He is color blind but somehow had no trouble painting fades and other cool multiple color paint jobs on  hundreds of frame and fork sets)
The bike I found on Craigslist.org appears to be a 1993 Florida made XLX. (Interesting find of the day.... There are no vent holes in the bottom bracket or head tube! The welds look super nice, beautiful beads, nice job just quality craftsmanship throughout. (Quick someone call Shag and find out who was welding CycleCrafts in 1993.) The Serial Number is A23 XLX.
(I believe this means it was the 23rd XLX made in an unkown year (1992? or 1993?) but let me know if you know different.)
This frame was originally candy/ metalic  purple (as seen on the chain stay bracket). I decided to paint it candy / metallic blue. I spent 4 hours prepping it for paint...It was heavily stickered and scratched but a bit of hand sanding fixed that.
It came with a few interesting parts. 1" S&M forks, DK stem, S&M  bars made in Santa Ana CA etc. I'll post more pick as it gets painted and built.
* I posted new pics as my other bike.... Somehow this got posted as 2 bikes but they are the same frame at different stages.

http://bmxmuseum.com/img/view-bike-in-museum.gif

#2 2009-09-08 2:44pm

Arclight
Intermediate
Bikes: 1

Re: 1992 Cycle Craft Pro XXL

Your story about the frame really does it justice...otherwise, it would be just another Cyclecraft.  Pat Deats is a really nice guy - he sold me a set of NOS forks for a build.  You may want to contact him as he can help you restore the F&F to their original glory (he offered to help me w/ an old Cyclecraft made Zeronine I have).  GL w/ your build!

Looking For:  Nothing right now!

#3 2009-09-09 12:50am

Giginfrogg
Pro MemberFroggy
Bikes: 3
For Sale

Im not sure thats an xlx. heres a pic of my xlx. they have different seatstays than yours. and my is an 89-90 era. The 4130 on your chainstay support is consistent with 92 era. Unless they made another style of xlx, I think thats an xl. Its almost like they used the wrong dropout when fabricating it. Some one else pipe in if they think different. The serial number a23, from my readings means it was made in january of an unspecified year and was the 23rd bike. and they made my style of xlx thru 1996, and the early ones did not have the chainstay support. confusing frame, never seen a stamped xlx in this style...
mine has fredz legs forks added at a later date the original dirt legs were bent and replaced...
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj213/giginfrogg/SDC10131.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj213/giginfrogg/SDC10134.jpg

Last edited by giginfrogg (2009-09-09 1:06am)

If I owe you feedback PM me. My inbox is like a WAR zone.
Wanted: 26" Quadangle F/F 1" threaded version What ever it may be....

#4 2009-09-09 11:30am

Giginfrogg
Pro MemberFroggy
Bikes: 3
For Sale

bump for more knowledge..nbig_smile

If I owe you feedback PM me. My inbox is like a WAR zone.
Wanted: 26" Quadangle F/F 1" threaded version What ever it may be....

#5 2009-09-09 7:49pm

4130rider
Museum Newbie

giginfrogg wrote:

bump for more knowledge..nbig_smile

OK here you go : A letter from the original owner

"Hi Brent,
It's always so much fun hearing from "old" riders.  We continue a business in the very building all those "zines" were printed from so there very well may be some in the attic.  I know Mitch, our son, combs through boxes everynow and then just to see what he can find.  The other day, he called and told me he had found an old photo of Gary DeBacker from the very early days when he didn't even have a national number.  I think he said he was using the number 52D.  Anyway, back to your questions.  I will see what I can find among the cycle artifacts that could be of interest to you and your endeavors.  The question about the welds are answered with our son's name also.  Mitch most probably welded your frame.  We had a number of good welders in the years of manufacturing and he learned from the best.  A young man by the name of Greg Esser came up from Florida when we first started and welded for us awhile (showing our welders how to lay down a mean bead on chromoly) His Dad was instrumental in the early days of the NBL.  Greg went on to race motorcycles and I hear he is still living in Fla. and welding frames somewhere.  Reading accounts and memories of riders we nurtured and watched through that time is quite rewarding and I went to your website. You can be proud of your accomplishments.  Pete, Rich, and Brian all lived in our home at one time.  What a grocery bill!  We enjoyed Brian living here over two years after the other two moved to California.  We called him "Dirt" (because he was always playing in it).  They built a track in our back yard we have a lot of footage of those days since the factory team came here every summer, living and going to races with us.  Can't be too much more nostalgic or you will use all the space on the bmx site.  Anyway, thanks for writing, Betty Martino"

You are correct sir...This bike was the 23rd made in January of an unknown year.  I bet Mitch could clear up any frame questions after all he was the one welding these things.

#6 2009-09-09 8:05pm

4130rider
Museum Newbie

Arclight wrote:

Your story about the frame really does it justice...otherwise, it would be just another Cyclecraft.  Pat Deats is a really nice guy - he sold me a set of NOS forks for a build.  You may want to contact him as he can help you restore the F&F to their original glory (he offered to help me w/ an old Cyclecraft made Zeronine I have).  GL w/ your build!

Pat is a a good dude.  I got some NOS Cyclecraft Daytona era frame stickers from him so it's well on it's way to looking like new again.
Cheers!smile

#7 2009-09-11 8:54pm

4130rider
Museum Newbie

Update: New paint and factory decals on 9-11-09

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab191/MrMacHac/ccframe.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab191/MrMacHac/cc4130.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab191/MrMacHac/ccd.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab191/MrMacHac/ccnumber.jpg

#8 2009-09-11 8:57pm

4130rider
Museum Newbie

The paint under the 4130 sticker is the original color.

#9 2011-11-13 1:20pm

chkn4130
Expert
Bikes: 1

4130rider wrote:

The paint under the 4130 sticker is the original color.

COOL! Nice attention to detail.

When I'm not riding BMX my other ride is a Husaberg FE 390.

#10 2011-11-13 1:28pm

Haro-83
Pro MemberTEXAS HILLBILLY
Bikes: 33
For Sale

cool

Build it, Ride it and Break it. That what it was made for.

WANTED: nothing for now

#11 2011-11-13 1:30pm

Haro-83
Pro MemberTEXAS HILLBILLY
Bikes: 33
For Sale

Build it, Ride it and Break it. That what it was made for.

WANTED: nothing for now

#12 2011-12-26 11:41am

iban21
Museum Newbie

Maybe I can clear up some facts and frame questions. Dave Hicks built nearly every one of the frames, forks and bars starting out at CycleCraft located in Kingsport TN in '84 for Joe Martino. Joe was the main publicity guy and dealt with clients. Betty is a very nice woman but she had such a little part in the development of these bikes. She answered phone calls and put on stickers. By '93 Dave Hicks (the builder, welder, and fabricator) was working out of the garage of our home. He is a metalsmith and acquired the machinery over the course of working at Joes shop to do other work on the side. Over 17,000 frames were produced and delivered to Shag in FL before its transfer to Mr. Deats. Dave, on average (he hired more temporarily when those huge orders came in) he had 4 people working for him, 2 welders , 1 cutter, 1 machinist. He had built jigs for each operation so that unskilled labor could be hired. You see Mitch and Josh were teenagers through the 80s and never hung out at Joe's shop for more than a day. Neither had any discernible talents that could be utilized at the time.  The letters and numbers that are stamped on the bikes are an early method of serial numbering. They are in fact dates and the number of bike produced. People would call because CycleCrafts guarantee stated a replacement if they broke and people were taking advantage and getting free bikes, therefore the serial numbers were started. No cycleCraft frame ever broke unless it had been run over by a car (this test was actually done by one of the BMX informational magazines). I hope this provides some useful history and clears up a couple things. The reason I know is because I saw my dad produce these 17,000+ frames out of our own home.

#13 2012-07-12 11:52pm

4130rider
Museum Newbie

iban21 wrote:

Maybe I can clear up some facts and frame questions. Dave Hicks built nearly every one of the frames, forks and bars starting out at CycleCraft located in Kingsport TN in '84 for Joe Martino. Joe was the main publicity guy and dealt with clients. Betty is a very nice woman but she had such a little part in the development of these bikes. She answered phone calls and put on stickers. By '93 Dave Hicks (the builder, welder, and fabricator) was working out of the garage of our home. He is a metalsmith and acquired the machinery over the course of working at Joes shop to do other work on the side. Over 17,000 frames were produced and delivered to Shag in FL before its transfer to Mr. Deats. Dave, on average (he hired more temporarily when those huge orders came in) he had 4 people working for him, 2 welders , 1 cutter, 1 machinist. He had built jigs for each operation so that unskilled labor could be hired. You see Mitch and Josh were teenagers through the 80s and never hung out at Joe's shop for more than a day. Neither had any discernible talents that could be utilized at the time.  The letters and numbers that are stamped on the bikes are an early method of serial numbering. They are in fact dates and the number of bike produced. People would call because CycleCrafts guarantee stated a replacement if they broke and people were taking advantage and getting free bikes, therefore the serial numbers were started. No cycleCraft frame ever broke unless it had been run over by a car (this test was actually done by one of the BMX informational magazines). I hope this provides some useful history and clears up a couple things. The reason I know is because I saw my dad produce these 17,000+ frames out of our own home.

Awesome info.... Big thanks to Dave Hicks! and even bigger thanks to you for taking the time to post up the info. I was curious as to who made the Cyclecraft and BLOCK frames in 1989? I had a couple of Cyclecraft XLX models and a Block that the Butcher sent to me when he was living with Joe and Betty in 1989. I think my current frame was a late 80's early 90's model because it is identical to the one I raced on in 1989-90. They were darn near indestructible.... I never did break the Block frame.

#14 2012-11-29 6:17am

midschooljon
Pro Member
Bikes: 10
For Sale
Website

I also have an XLX like this which doesn't have a seat stay wishbone. Mine has a few other differences to this one though. It has a machined BB shell, and the brake bridge on the seat stays is strait with a "fold" in it as opposed to the curved ones you see on most Cyclecrafts. Here are some pics.

Dropouts stamped XLX
http://www.sirmerlin.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/cyclecraft_XLX_dropouts.jpg

You can see the machined BB in this pic.
http://www.sirmerlin.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/cyclecraft_XLX_bottom_bracket.jpg

And a pic of the whole frame.
http://www.sirmerlin.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/cyclecraft_XLX_frame.jpg

WANTED: 2-Hip Vise stem. Please PM me if you have one for sale :-)
WANTED: S&M Challenger Bars.
WANTED: Auburn CR20RX (pre canti mounts).

#15 2013-01-01 12:05am

4130rider
Museum Newbie

Thanks for posting. Sweet bike I hope you got those Fredz bars!

Board footer