1982 Quicksilver Type 2  RSS Feed

#1 2007-05-09 12:08pm

QuicksilverBMX
Pro Member
Bikes: 32

1982 Quicksilver Type 2

http://bmxmuseum.com//image/img_1327_copy0.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com//image/img_1328.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com//image/img_1329_copy0.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com//image/img_1330.jpg

1982 Quicksilver Type 2

This is NOT a team model, it is type 2 frame. Note the different dropouts to the earlier Quicksilvers. Thanks to Pete Porker for the decals!!!

http://bmxmuseum.com/img/view-bike-in-museum.gif

#2 2007-05-10 3:27am

Kosy-Moto
Intermediate
Bikes: 35

Re: 1982 Quicksilver Type 2

Recce.. one of your best sooo far wink
Keep those Quickies roll'n 10/10

THATS FACTORY !!

#3 2007-06-01 8:25pm

CybaGirl
Museum Newbie
Website

Very nice and what  lovely memories this site is bringing back to me smile.

I use to own a Quicksilver Team Helium back in the late 80's. I brought the frame brand new and built it up myself.

Unfortuanley it was stolen from me out the front of Hamilton Hi-Fi and I never saw it again sad. I was devastated and to tthis day I still remember the serial number which was TH 62716D.

Incase anyone is interested the difference between this Quicksilver Team Model and the Quicksilver Team Helium model. Was the Team Helium had one tyre type valve welded underneath the top rail bar and another tyre type valve welded to the bottom frame rail bar. The both these sections were filled with helium smile. It was suppose to make the bike lighter and from memory I think there was like 2 gram difference between the Team Helium over the standard Team.

Also the serial number on the rear drop out had the TH stand on it. To stand for Team Helium. The stickers were a lovely metalic blue color and were very striking.

Furthermore you could only purchase Team Helium stickers if you quoted your serial number and your serial was vefired against the database at the time. As from what I was told at the time. They didn't want people putting Team Helium stickers on standard Team bikes or other bikes.

I had to go through this rig morale once when I wanted to buy some extra stickers for my Team Helium. So this is how I learnt all about this from the bike shop in which I brought my Team Helium from. In fact I never did pick up the stickers only ordered them.

Finally my oldest brother told me a year or two back. That he bumped into the guy who owned Quicksilver bicycles and to make a long story short. My brother told him that I use to have the Team Helium and this fellow wanted to know if I still had it. As he wanted to buy it from me. As he wanted one badly. I don't know how true this is. But it is what my brother said to me.

#4 2007-06-01 8:42pm

QuicksilverBMX
Pro Member

I am looking for a Helium to complete my Quicksilver collection.

Cool story too!

#5 2007-06-01 9:16pm

CybaGirl
Museum Newbie
Website

You seem to have an awesome collection and I do hope you find one to complete your Quicksilver collection smile.

How much do you think one would be worth today? As in just the frame?

I know I paid $159.00 for mine back in the 80's and that was alot of money to me. In fact it took me over 12 months to save that much for mine.

I often wondered what happened to mine and who stole it. I did get one report from a guy that went to my high school saying he saw some kid riding what appeared to be my bike. But it was the one and only time he saw it.

Can I ask did you buy this bike new? Or is it one you have restored?

Not to sure if you remember this or not. But this bike was ridden by a Factory Team rider called the Professor in a Televison commercial for Do The Right Thing.

I also had a friend in which everyone knew him by the name of Tek or Teko. He rode a Quicksilver (but not the Team Model) in a TV commercial for Weet-Bix back in the 80's. He was one of the best if not the best trick rider I had ever seen back then smile. His Quicksilver was also equipped with the original Landing Gear forks (the non drilled ones).

I also had another male friend who owned a Quicksilver Team Helium. He brought this off a guy at school for $80.00. He also owned a Cobra and his last bike was a Redline Proline II. I haven't seen him in years and for all I know he probably still has these bikes stored at his mums place in Newcastle.

#6 2007-06-01 11:26pm

coasty
Pro Member
Bikes: 18

Cybagirl, the professor (alistair Johnson) goes by the name of AJAY on Vintagebmx in the aussie thread. He's still got that bike from the ad too.
Pete Porker is from Newcastle and has a nice collection of Quicksilvers too. I think he organised some of the chromework on Reece' quickies above.
That right Reece?
Oh and I still want a Team Quicksilver frame.

70's bmx is where it's at.

#7 2007-06-02 2:37am

QuicksilverBMX
Pro Member

CybaGirl wrote:

How much do you think one would be worth today? As in just the frame?

I know I paid $159.00 for mine back in the 80's and that was alot of money to me. In fact it took me over 12 months to save that much for mine.

Can I ask did you buy this bike new? Or is it one you have restored?

I got offered a frame for $500 but I just didnt have the money at the time. It was sold on ebay the following week for $510 :p

I bought my team model off a guy in melbourne through ebay and then fully restored it. I left the unique AD inititials on the BB shell in case the origonal owner ever pops up on the website.

My helium search continues.

#8 2007-06-02 5:06am

Ozzie53
Expert
Website

That's beautiful man.
It brings back alot of memories for me also.
If I find any Quicksilvers in my travels i'll let you know first.

#9 2007-06-20 7:50am

GUN-808
Bikes: 1
Website

CybaGirl wrote:

I use to own a Quicksilver Team Helium back in the late 80's. I brought the frame brand new and built it up myself.

Unfortuanley it was stolen from me out the front of Hamilton Hi-Fi and I never saw it again sad. I was devastated and to tthis day I still remember the serial number which was TH 62716D.

Incase anyone is interested the difference between this Quicksilver Team Model and the Quicksilver Team Helium model. Was the Team Helium had one tyre type valve welded underneath the top rail bar and another tyre type valve welded to the bottom frame rail bar. The both these sections were filled with helium smile. It was suppose to make the bike lighter and from memory I think there was like 2 gram difference between the Team Helium over the standard Team.

Also the serial number on the rear drop out had the TH stand on it. To stand for Team Helium. The stickers were a lovely metalic blue color and were very striking.

Furthermore you could only purchase Team Helium stickers if you quoted your serial number and your serial was vefired against the database at the time. As from what I was told at the time. They didn't want people putting Team Helium stickers on standard Team bikes or other bikes.

I had to go through this rig morale once when I wanted to buy some extra stickers for my Team Helium. So this is how I learnt all about this from the bike shop in which I brought my Team Helium from. In fact I never did pick up the stickers only ordered them.

Finally my oldest brother told me a year or two back. That he bumped into the guy who owned Quicksilver bicycles and to make a long story short. My brother told him that I use to have the Team Helium and this fellow wanted to know if I still had it. As he wanted to buy it from me. As he wanted one badly. I don't know how true this is. But it is what my brother said to me.

Damn Beaumont St huh...grrr
Probably ended up in Hassle St flats and swaped for some sort of drugs...
Ahhh Newcastle...how glad am i, i dont live there anymore..
Sorry to hear that about ur bike man..just another story of a trik bike stolen by rats in that C of a town..

Buzzing on BMX...
And no im not a chick its my G/F.. wink

#10 2007-08-08 7:55pm

seftonboy
Museum Newbie

in answer to cyber girl, steve meadows owned quicksilver and he probably would like helium cause i know when we shut the factory all the existing bikes,frames and leftover tube was sold.i was the only one of us that worked there that kept any bikes.you say your helium was th62716d in that case i,m the guy who made your bike, in fact i made nearly every one of them, ray from memory only made a handfull. those valves were actually silver soldered in and the tube pressurised with helium to give it strength as those two rails where a thinner tube than standard not to make it lighter, it was a gimmick and it worked. if you remember the tv show wonder world jonothan coleman did a story on us and had footage of me making a helium frame. wonder if channel 10 still has the footage. hope you end up with a helium and yes i still have mine and the original 24 inch prototype plus a few one off things i made. hopefully when i get better at this computer caper i,ll put pics of them on. cheers

#11 2008-06-10 8:25am

Kid_Carbine
Bikes: 2

I have just purchased the mortal remains of a Quicksilver which I hope to pick up soon.
From what I can make of it, the one I bought was made in 1981 or '82 but, with the help of this forum, I am about to launch on a very steep learning curve.

My prime interest is in [so called] real bikes, particularly the lightweights from the late 30's to the mid 50's but since I am into Aussie icons, I figured that I had better do something nice with an Aussie icon BMX, so when the Quicksilver became available, I made an offer that was considered acceptable. 

There are no wheels, brakes or saddle, but the rest of a bike is there, although just how much of it is original is yet to be determined. The frame was originally black & the tattered & faded remains of the decals are also still there.
About all I can say for sure is that it's very unlikely to have been a '1981 Xmas Special' model. [which also had a black frame]

Anyway, I would like to restore it right & the first step is to learn. To learn everything I can about this model that can be learned, then to undo any parts substitutions & source the right parts to fill in the gaps [missing bits] before restoring it properly.

Any help with regards to serial numbers & some history of the model will be very much appreciated.

The Kid

Last edited by Kid_Carbine (2008-09-21 7:58am)

Quicksilver
It's Aussie for "BMX".

#12 2008-06-10 6:05pm

bridgethegap71
Bikes: 5

I can see 194 D on the left rear end

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

#13 2008-06-11 7:35am

QuicksilverBMX
Pro Member

Kid Carbine, a good place to start is to email Pete Porker for a decal set.

Quicksilvers were generally sold as frames and built up to the owners spec'

porkers@hunterlink.net.au

#14 2008-06-11 6:30pm

Kid_Carbine

QBMX
Thanks for the info, I'll drop him a line when I get back from work. [Work in a bike hire place & am rebuilding a Mitchel BMX just for practice]
At this time, I suspect that the mine was sold as a whole bike, ... well, at least the 1981 'Xmas Special', which was based on the 'Team' frame seems to have been, but I am ever ready to learn more.

It looks like you have a particularly nice 'Team' machine & am most interested to learn the serial number if you would be so kind. If you prefer, you could send it to me in an e-mail instead of posting it.

Thanks again
The Kid

Last edited by Kid_Carbine (2008-07-14 5:52pm)

Quicksilver
It's Aussie for "BMX".

#15 2008-06-12 1:38am

QuicksilverBMX
Pro Member

OK hre we go! The frame at the top of the page is no longer in my posession but all of the parts are as I picked up an even rarer TEAM 1 Quicksilver with the matchbox behind the bottom Bracket and the round tube brake bridge. As soon as I get it chromed I will post up pics with the "new" frame! the serial number of this fram is TF5014
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/VNSVLE/IMG_1787.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/VNSVLE/IMG_1790.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/VNSVLE/IMG_1789.jpg

#16 2008-06-13 5:32am

Kid_Carbine

I'm guessing that there is some sort of code to the serial numbers but since I have only two numbers available to me at this time, I'd just be guessing.
One of your numbers is TF5014 & mine is believed to be 194D [To be confirmed, I expect to pick it up tomorrow, Saturday]

I'm also presuming that the frame in your photos with great gobs of chrome missing is the good one while the twin tube bottom bracket one is the regular [less rare] Team model. I have now seen pictures of four 'Team' models & all were chromed, including the matchbox/round brake bridge one that went on eBay a little while back, so have concluded, for the moment at least, that all regular 'Team' models were chromed.

Personally I prefer painted frames, particularly on the thin tubed high end frames as I suspect that some failures can be attributed to the condition of 'Hydrogen Embrittlement' that electroplating creates in steel.

I also fear that the rust pitting that takes place underneath the chrome, once the surface has been compromised, might be more damaging than we would like, Still, if the bike isn't subject to the level of abuse that it very likely suffered in its first life, then it should all be good.

Great to see others so that I don't need to feel so all alone with mine. Thanks again

The Kid

Quicksilver
It's Aussie for "BMX".

#17 2009-06-06 7:25pm

Kid_Carbine

CybaGirl wrote:

Unfortuanley it was stolen from me out the front of Hamilton Hi-Fi and I never saw it again sad. I was devastated and to this day I still remember the serial number which was TH 62716D.

OK, time has passed & a great deal has been learned.
The frame number quoted above does not compute as the first two digits in the frame number above would be the date & it works like this

TH= Team Helium
6= June, the sixth month. [frames made in Oct-Dec. will ALWAYS start with a 10, 11, or 12, followed by the year code of 1, 2 or 3?]
2= 1982, [the last digit of the calendar year] I have not yet actually seen any 1983 coded Quicksilver frame but they were still in production in 1983.
xxx= The remaining digits are the sequential frame number.
D= Darrell [M= Mark, R= Ray X= unknown but probably designates a factory team riders frame]

This serial would suggest that it was the 716th helium frame made, however the highest number that I have personally viewed so far is 134 [TH122134 X] from December 1982. The above frame was a factory team bike & is still owned by it's original factory team rider & it is thought that total production did not excede about 150 to 160 frames.

My own Helium is TH1261 R [Jan 1982, serial 61] & still carries its original Red stickers carried over from the previous Team model.[later changed in production to Blue] CyberGirl's stickers were blue, indicating a correct date code.

I would suggest that, given CyberGirl's clear recall of the number of characters in the frame number, her serial was probably 116 with a badly stamped 1 instead of a 7. [TH62116 D] This would fit in much better with the known sequence of numbers on surviving frames.
My own frame has a badly stamped '2' which was thought to be a '4' at first.

I have spoken with Clayton, the man that actually stamped the numbers, one character at a time, & with several known mis-stamped numbers found in surviving frames, it's possible that it really was mis-stamped with a 7, but this seems unlikely given the method of picking up & replacing individual stamps. Most genuine mis-stampings seem to be only one numeric value off but badly stamped numbers can be mis-read by a wider margin.

The Team frame that is the subject of this thread would be a May 1980 built frame with a serial of 14. The frame welders code may be missing, or may be hard to distinguish.
Team frame No 50 [TF11050 R] from November 1980 does carry this code.

P.S.
My first Quickie frame was clearly marked 194D, however after paint removal another digit was revealed & it is really 9194 D so it is actually a standard Series 2 frame from the first month of production [Sept 1981] with a frame number of 94.
Red Herrings abound with Quickie frame numbers.

Quicksilver
It's Aussie for "BMX".

#18 2010-01-31 5:58am

RL20II
Pro MemberNatural Born Chiller
Bikes: 12

ok so on a Team Model what would the numbers:

Rear dropout: 52683D

Bottom Bracket: R Bell 520 4536

Mean?

Any help would be great smile

GROW THE HELL UP FOR CHRISTS SAKE!! WE ARE GROWN MEN PLAYING WITH KIDS BIKES NOT KIDS PLAYING AT BEING GROWN MEN.
****What's normal for the Spider is Chaos for the Fly****

#19 2010-01-31 6:28am

Kid_Carbine

RL20II wrote:

ok so on a Team Model what would the numbers:

Rear dropout: 52683D

Bottom Bracket: R Bell 520 4536

Mean?

Any help would be great smile

Fortunately this one is fairly straightforward.

R.Bell would have been the name of an owner, possibly the original owner.
520 4536 is a phone number that would have been correct [with seven digits] at the time. Australia switched to ten digits by the 90's

The serial is 5-2-683 D which breaks down as
May, 1982, Serial 683, with Darrell as the actual frame builder.

This frame is a Type 2 model & not a 'Team'. The factory model designation was "Quicksilver BMX '82"
They were available in Red, Light Blue, Black, Dark Blue & Burgundy. Chrome finish was available at extra cost.

The Team models used a matchbox behind the bottom bracker & the serial, which was prefixed "TF" for 'Team Frame' was stamped under this matchbox.

There are a couple of really good pictures of a Team frame in a post by Quicksilver BMX just a bit further up the page.
It's the one with the tubular brake bridge, a feature unique to the Team & the Limited Edition frames.

Behold, the new Quicksilver BMC '82 in the new dark blue colour for this model.
The Gold stickers were new for this model as were some of the components.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/KB10/bmxquicksilvercatalogue82-1.jpg

Quicksilver
It's Aussie for "BMX".

#20 2010-01-31 6:33am

Kid_Carbine

Oh crap, there is no edit function.

Obviously the  line "Behold. the new Quicksilver BMC" etc. should read "BMX"

Many bicycles were, & still are, identified with an owner scratching, stamping, or electric pencil marking some unique ID under the B/B shell.

Quicksilver
It's Aussie for "BMX".

#21 2010-01-31 11:47pm

RL20II
Pro MemberNatural Born Chiller
Bikes: 12

Thanks m8 smile that has helped me alot!

GROW THE HELL UP FOR CHRISTS SAKE!! WE ARE GROWN MEN PLAYING WITH KIDS BIKES NOT KIDS PLAYING AT BEING GROWN MEN.
****What's normal for the Spider is Chaos for the Fly****

#22 2011-09-28 4:46am

77stroker2
Thread Killer
Bikes: 8

Hella Sick ! big_smile Instant Flavor ! smile

Ken=The Number 1 Poser !
Desert Storm Vet. US Navy FC2  ( 1986-1991 )

Left Old Junk ( I Mean Old School)  For New School! Love "THE DARK SIDE"!
As Craig Ferguson Would Say," I Look Forward To Your Hate Mail " !
[img]http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k566/shitmyrompers/Modern%20Muscle%20Cars/aaf1aff9-d865-45cf-b141-8ba083757654_zps8a8fc026.jpg[/img]

#23 2013-11-23 11:44pm

cruesixx69
Museum Addict
Bikes: 4

Sweet ride cool

Cancer is not a death sentence. I am living proof. smile

Needs=82' National Pro Long frame. Want one bad!!!!
Needs=80' Malvern Star Super Max frame and fork
Needs=79' Team Jag or 80' Jag
               smile smile smile

#24 2015-04-01 12:23pm

mxfan69
Pro MemberCalm, Cool, and Collected
Bikes: 11

so very cool yikes

mmmm........loop tails.......

...and that's all I have to say about that...

#25 2015-04-01 1:50pm

Kid_Carbine

It's now about eight years since this thread was started & in that time we have learned much about this iconic Aussie brand. We have identified everyone that worked there & contacted almost all of them.  Ken Mandelberg, the sales Rep & one of the ideas men has, I believe, gone to that great BMX track in the sky.

The full history of this company has yet to be writen but must surely be on the horizon as we can not let all of the historical research go to waste.
As far as I can tell at least one example of every model has now been found, with at least four models known at this time by a single survivor, so a pictorial time lineshould now be possible.

I'll see what can be done.

Quicksilver
It's Aussie for "BMX".

Board footer

View Cart →