1998 Berkeley Cruiser Co. 26
Back in the middle or late '90's Charlie Tondu at Solano Avenue Cyclery in Albany, CA, and a couple friends decided that they wanted a sweet old school-inspired 26" cruiser frame built to take a modern beating. So, they designed their dream frame and sought out local frame-builder extraordinaire Bernie Mikkelsen to build a few. Berkeley Cruiser Co was born. Before Bernie even got cracking, Charlie had a handful of guys waving money in his face demanding their own frame, so a run of 15 or 20 frames was made and powder coated red by Maas Brothers in Livermore, CA. Those went in a heartbeat, so not long after, a final run of another 15 or 20 was made, this time receiving a gray powder coat. I missed out on the first run, but got my cash together for the second run and have been loving this bike ever since. It's been my mountain bike, commuter, and long ago even my dirt jumper. Spec is as follows:
* Frame: 1998 Berkeley Cruiser, Deddachi Steel, 23.5" top tube, Gray
* Fork: Fox Float 100 RLC, Gray
* Headset: Chris King, Black
* Stem: GT Piston XXL, Polished
* Bars: S&M C4, 4130 chromoly, Black
* Grips: Kink, Black
* Brakes: Shimano Deore V-Brakes, Silver front, Black rear
* Levers: Shimano Deore, Silver
* Seat Post: Thomson, Black
* Seat Post Clamp: Salsa QR, Black
* Seat: WTB Laser V, Black
* Pedals: S&M "DX" Platform, Black
* Cranks: Profile Race 180mm, Black
* Bottom Bracket: Primo Euro, Black
* Chainring: Sharp Sprockets 37t, Black
* Freewheel: Shimano 18t
* Chain: Shadow Conspiracy Interlock V2, Black
* Front Hub: Phil Wood KISS-Off, 36-hole, Polished
* Rear Hub: Phil Wood KISS-Off, 36-hole, Polished
* Rims: Sun Rhyno Lite, 36-hole, Chrome
* Spokes: Wheelsmith Stainless, Double-Butted, Chrome
* Front Tire: Panaracer Fire FR 26 x 2.4"
* Rear Tire: Tioga Factory DH 26 x 2.1"
Submitted by bmxmartyDiscuss this bike
- Company: Berkley Cruiser Co.
- Material: Other Chromo
- Toptube length: 23.5
- Headtube size: 1-1/8"